The Student Room Group

My friend missed A2 Chem exam help

Basically on Tuesday my friend missed her a2 Chem exam because she was very late .. She found out that her nan had passed away but her nan lives in India she went to India in February because she knew her nan was very sick and hours before the exam she found out her nan had passed away in India then she also had diarra and was not feeling well and with all that going on she was very late for exam because there was also so much traffic - she lives two hours away from school but exams officer wants to see her tommoroq what do u think will happen this is a2 and she can't afford getting a u she didn't even deserve getting a u what do u think will happen because we can't even retake next year
Pretty sure they'll take into account the circumstances but if they let her do the paper it'll boil down to how prepared she was irregardless of what happened. Pass on my condolences :h:
Original post by zoedhin
Basically on Tuesday my friend missed her a2 Chem exam because she was very late .. She found out that her nan had passed away but her nan lives in India she went to India in February because she knew her nan was very sick and hours before the exam she found out her nan had passed away in India then she also had diarra and was not feeling well and with all that going on she was very late for exam because there was also so much traffic - she lives two hours away from school but exams officer wants to see her tommoroq what do u think will happen this is a2 and she can't afford getting a u she didn't even deserve getting a u what do u think will happen because we can't even retake next year

If she had genuine reasons for being late (and it certainly sounds like she does) then she should get her predicted grade. If she had doctors note for her medical issues that day it would make it easier but from the sounds of it the school should have been aware of what was going on with her nan anyway so should be able to deal with it.
Reply 3
Original post by zoedhin
we can't even retake next year

It is possible to re-sit next year.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
It is possible to re-sit next year.

No its not - this is the last year then AQA have started a new chemistry course - this one ends in 2016 - this is what my teachers have told us
Reply 5
Original post by zoedhin
No its not - this is the last year then AQA have started a new chemistry course - this one ends in 2016 - this is what my teachers have told us

Your teachers are wrong. The draft exam timetables for next year are already available on the exam board websites and all the current specification units (AS and A2) are available to re-sit next year.
Original post by zoedhin

Is the exam board AQA? It's been confirmed we can retake next year.
Original post by zoedhin

You can resit next year.
Check the provisional exam timetable for 2017 exams :smile:
Reply 8
But what about her uni offer this year - what will happen? Cant the use her predicted grade or use her marks from her other modules as she has completed unit 1, 2 , 3 , 6 - we were both already retake students so i think its really unfair what happened with her
Reply 9
Original post by zoedhin
But what about her uni offer this year - what will happen? Cant the use her predicted grade or use her marks from her other modules as she has completed unit 1, 2 , 3 , 6 - we were both already retake students so i think its really unfair what happened with her

They don't use predicted grades but it may be possible to claim special consideration and get marks for the missed unit - the exams officer, in full possession of the facts, will be able to advise and apply.
Reply 10
Original post by Compost
They don't use predicted grades but it may be possible to claim special consideration and get marks for the missed unit - the exams officer, in full possession of the facts, will be able to advise and apply.

How will she get marks for the unit?
Original post by Compost
Your teachers are wrong. The draft exam timetables for next year are already available on the exam board websites and all the current specification units (AS and A2) are available to re-sit next year.

its definitely possible - people who should be in first year uni have been in my exams re-sitting single modules to achieve uni grades
Original post by zoedhin
How will she get marks for the unit?

http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents

Being brutally honestly, having 3 different reasons for why she turned up late (how late?) does make it sound like a load of excuses for not getting there and not being unable to take it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Aw, I hope things get better for your friend. If anything she certainly could re sit modules next year so if that's the only module she's missed, she could re-sit that one module then explain to universities what happened if she decides to reapply for next years set. She won't have to re-sit everything unlike the new A level where students in this position would have to sit the AS and A2 modules again even if they sat and did well in the others. The new A levels is much like the current Cambridge Internationals (CIE) format without November resits. Overall, she'll be ok.
Reply 14
Does this mean she will get a u

Quick Reply

Latest