The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Original post by shamika

Spoiler

Agreed. Hope I can redeem myself a little for STEP II and III. Thanks!

--

Good luck to all sitting this tomorrow!
Original post by raff97
Seems all the pure questions have been done, was never a fan of applied so cant help there. sorry!

(Yeah I have. Was alright I guess, will find out how I did on Saturday... arguable easier than STEP II and III if you put the work in throughout the year. certainly less interesting questions compared to STEP!)

The Tripos has become properly boring in the last few years. There were a lot more interesting questions about 20 years ago (but most of the questions were still boring). I think that's just because you actually learn interesting stuff in your degree, so the end of year exams just seem lame in comparison to some of the problems you've tried on problem sheets which are harder and longer because you have more time.
To clarify one doubt that I have,

When you have cos(6x)=cos(4x), the solutions are 6x=4x+/-2nipi or 6x=2npi+/-4x? and for tan6x=tan4x, the solutions will always be 6x=4x+/-npi or 6x=npi+/-4x?
And how do you usually deduce for example the solutions of cosx=-(sqroot(3)/2), the solutions are sometimes, x=2npi+/-2pi/3 and sometimes it's x=npi+/-pi/3. Are there any tricks where writing the general form of these of questions. (I always get a bit confused at this).
Original post by shamika

Spoiler

Uhhhh I'm posting in spoilers because you did but

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
As soon as the clock hits midnight on the 18th of August (i.e: the end of 17th of August) you rush onto the website, frantically refresh, swear at your screen in tandem with the thousands of other candidates refreshing as the site throws up "Site error" - some furious clicks later, your continued refreshing bears fruit and your result pops up on screen, usually followed by a triumphant yell or a dive out of the window.

Do the results actually go up at midnight then? I had been wondering at what point on the 18th the results would become available.
Reply 1485
Original post by smartalan73
Do the results actually go up at midnight then? I had been wondering at what point on the 18th the results would become available.

Yes. Midnight.
Original post by Zacken
Sure.

Text: f(x) = ( x + sqrt(3) ) / (1 - xsqrt(3))

LaTeX: f(x)=x+313x\displaystyle f(x) = \frac{x + \sqrt{3}}{1 - \sqrt{3}x}

Image:

Hopefully at least one format will work...

Ah yes II 2007 Q5 how could I forget.

But I wonder how much is known about the solutions of such functional equations...
Are you allowed to use rulers/compass in step?
Reply 1488
Original post by KingRS

Yes.
When doing the integral of (1/(u)(2-u)^(1/2)) Can I use partial fractions?
Original post by Zacken
As soon as the clock hits midnight on the 18th of August (i.e: the end of 17th of August) you rush onto the website, frantically refresh, swear at your screen in tandem with the thousands of other candidates refreshing as the site throws up "Site error" - some furious clicks later, your continued refreshing bears fruit and your result pops up on screen, usually followed by a triumphant yell or a dive out of the window.

It's a dive out of the window for me, lol.

Zacken, will Emmanuel update UCAS at midnight itself if I meet the condition, or will they do it later?
Reply 1491
Original post by krishdesai7
It's a dive out of the window for me, lol.

Zacken, will Emmanuel update UCAS at midnight itself if I meet the condition, or will they do it later?

No, STEP is the only thing that updates at midnight. All A-Level/UCAS related things update at 8+ a.m in the morning after STEP results have already come out.
Reply 1492
Good luck to everyone today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
As I dive out of the window I'll check UCAS too so I'll know it was the right call, need step so kings can ignore my woeful chemistry results

Track won't be updated until the morning. 8:00am IIRC.
Original post by KingRS

No only straight edges are allowed so you can solve them the way the great Euclid did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Track won't be updated until the morning. 8:00am IIRC.

8 hours of warily staring at my bedroom window then, joy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Remyxomatosis
Uhhhh I'm posting in spoilers because you did but

Spoiler

Yep, should be fine
Was I correct about the union of T and S being the odd numbers and the intersection being the null set?
Original post by Louisb19
Was I correct about the union of T and S being the odd numbers and the intersection being the null set?

Yes, I believe so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louisb19

Yes (positive odd numbers specifically)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending