The Student Room Group

AQA - A2 Sociology - SCLY3 & SCLY4 - June 2016

Does anyone have any good idea, or has been told by their teacher as to what topics are likely to come in both SCLY3 and SCLY4?

SCLY3 - Beliefs in Society
SCLY4 - Crime and Deviance

There is so much to learn so it would be helpful to cast a few topics aside...

THANKYOU :smile:
Reply 1
Can anyone help me with the structure for the questions in both beliefs and crime ? please help x
Original post by student.GOT
Does anyone have any good idea, or has been told by their teacher as to what topics are likely to come in both SCLY3 and SCLY4?

Suicide is likely to come up in SCLY4 as it hasn't for a while and is being taken off the spec next year, so my teacher said they will probably do a question on it for the last time. Also, I've heard that Social Policy is likely to be the 33 marker on SCLY4 but I saw this on twitter so I'm not sure how accurate that is
Original post by carolind
Can anyone help me with the structure for the questions in both beliefs and crime ? please help x

24 Mark Questions in both SCLY3 and SCLY4:

1. Do not include an introduction, it is not neccessary.
2. Aim to do three paragraphs in PEEL format, naming theorists, explaining them and offering both positive and negative critique and a link back to the question.
3. Do not summarise in your conclusion, question the question and make overall points to answer the question.
4. Remember to use the Item in 24 mark questions or you will not be able to achieve high marks

33 Mark Questions in both papers
1. Include an introduction explaining the concepts in the question.
2. Same Peel format as above but aim for four-five paragraphs
3. Criticise by using other theories, for a question of functionalism, criticise with Marxism etc
4. Same tips for conclusion as above.

12 Mark question on beliefs in society
1. Bullet point answers to save time, it does not need to be in essay format
2. Outline the three answers to the question, explain them and include examples. Doing this will get you back up marks if you go wrong on your explanation.

Methods in Context Crime&Deviance
Do not answer in PEEL format, use levels 1, 2 and 3

Level 1: Outline strengths and weaknesses of that method in general e.g Postal Questionnaire's do not achieve a high response rate.

Level 2: Apply it to crime in general e.g Postal questionnaire's aimed at looking into crime may not be valid as people may not be truthful in order to cover up crimes that they have committed or crimes that they have not reported.

Level 3: Be specific to the crime they are talking about, for example, Gang crime. e.g People who are in gangs may not respond to the questionnaire out of fear of a response from their peers. If they get themselves or others in trouble, they are likely to face serious concequences and are therefore unlikely to respond.

Do this four times outlining different strengths and weaknesses.

Hope this helps!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Kirst2212
24 Mark Questions in both SCLY3 and SCLY4:

1. Do not include an introduction, it is not neccessary.
2. Aim to do three paragraphs in PEEL format, naming theorists, explaining them and offering both positive and negative critique and a link back to the question.
3. Do not summarise in your conclusion, question the question and make overall points to answer the question.
4. Remember to use the Item in 24 mark questions or you will not be able to achieve high marks

33 Mark Questions in both papers
1. Include an introduction explaining the concepts in the question.
2. Same Peel format as above but aim for four-five paragraphs
3. Criticise by using other theories, for a question of functionalism, criticise with Marxism etc
4. Same tips for conclusion as above.

12 Mark question on beliefs in society
1. Bullet point answers to save time, it does not need to be in essay format
2. Outline the three answers to the question, explain them and include examples. Doing this will get you back up marks if you go wrong on your explanation.

Methods in Context Crime&Deviance
Do not answer in PEEL format, use levels 1, 2 and 3

Level 1: Outline strengths and weaknesses of that method in general e.g Postal Questionnaire's do not achieve a high response rate.

Level 2: Apply it to crime in general e.g Postal questionnaire's aimed at looking into crime may not be valid as people may not be truthful in order to cover up crimes that they have committed or crimes that they have not reported.

Level 3: Be specific to the crime they are talking about, for example, Gang crime. e.g People who are in gangs may not respond to the questionnaire out of fear of a response from their peers. If they get themselves or others in trouble, they are likely to face serious concequences and are therefore unlikely to respond.

Do this four times outlining different strengths and weaknesses.

Hope this helps!!

omg this is so useful
thanks a bunch x
Reply 5
Thankyou!!! :smile:

Original post by kirst2212
suicide is likely to come up in scly4 as it hasn't for a while and is being taken off the spec next year, so my teacher said they will probably do a question on it for the last time. Also, i've heard that social policy is likely to be the 33 marker on scly4 but i saw this on twitter so i'm not sure how accurate that is
Original post by student.GOT

Just a quick warning, last year the paper got stolen so they had to put in an emergency replacement. I wouldn't count out anything tbh.
Just want a quick bit of advice, do you think a day is enough to roughly go over sociological theory? Also what are the sociological theory predictions? thank you!!! :smile: We are nearly done ::smile:)
Reply 8
Original post by AliceJohn18
Just want a quick bit of advice, do you think a day is enough to roughly go over sociological theory? Also what are the sociological theory predictions? thank you!!! :smile: We are nearly done ::smile:)

I'm doing the same so i hope so ! lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending