The Student Room Group

Further Maths next year?

So my current A-Level choices are: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology.
I am considering switching Psychology for Further Maths because I hate writing tonnes and I like maths and I do Further Maths GCSE atm. Can anyone tell me, from experience, what Further Maths A-Level is like? Also will I have time to do it if I do an EPQ as well? Thanks
Original post by qwerty0301
I am considering switching Psychology for Further Maths because I hate writing tonnes and I like maths and I do Further Maths GCSE atm. Can anyone tell me, from experience, what Further Maths A-Level is like? Also will I have time to do it if I do an EPQ as well? Thanks

You will always have time for anything.
Never doubt yourself on the factor of time.

Therefore you should do 4 a levels.
If you like maths even a little bit you should consider doing further maths as it will feel no different to standalone maths.
It is also helps alot when applying to see a students ability in maths and for a maths degree course...

Also if you hold an interest in maths you should replace biology with physics unless you like biology...

Psychology involves ALOT of writing and high mark essays and also be prepared for coursework. I know some people who do this with chem and bio but its not a good A level mixture IMO.

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry is a solid pick.
It all depends on what youre interested in, just be willing to work at it and not dread the exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Maths is Life
You will always have time for anything.
Never doubt yourself on the factor of time.

Therefore you should do 4 a levels.
If you like maths even a little bit you should consider doing further maths as it will feel no different to standalone maths.
It is also helps alot when applying to see a students ability in maths and for a maths degree course...

Also if you hold an interest in maths you should replace biology with physics unless you like biology...

I'm actually really really bad at physics lol. Kinda ironic but I also want to do medicine at uni so bio and chem are pretty much compulsory. Although I really do love maths and I've never had a maths lesson in my entire life that I've found boring.
I'm actually really really bad at physics lol. Kinda ironic but I also want to do medicine at uni so bio and chem are pretty much compulsory. Although I really do love maths and I've never had a maths lesson in my entire life that I've found boring.

Most medical schools don't accept Further Maths as a fourth AS subject but do your research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In what you say is true about maths then you dont need to think about it.
Just tell psychology to go away(50mark essays) and do what you enjoy!

However if you like psychology and receive excellent GCSEs then you could proceed with 5 A levels if it works on your timetable 👍👌
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by nomophobia
Most medical schools don't accept Further Maths as a fourth AS subject but do your research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure what unis I wanna apply to as of yet (defo not Cambridge/Oxford tho lol) but the one uni I am sure I wanna apply to only accepts further maths up to AS level
Reply 6
Original post by Maths is Life
In what you say is true about maths then you dont need to think about it.
Just tell psychology to go away(50mark essays) and do what you enjoy!

However if you like psychology and receive excellent GCSEs then you could proceed with 5 A levels if it works on your timetable 👍👌

Haha after doing History GCSE I don't think I can manage any more essays XD so I think I will most probably take further maths.
Reply 7

We have the same choices!!!
I was also considering further maths but it will depend on the grade i get and the college i really want to go to. 2 want A* and the other 2 want an A. I am sure i can get an A not sure i can't get the A* bcs i kind of messed up lol
Reply 8
Original post by nomophobia

Posted from TSR Mobile

huh, why not?
Haha after doing History GCSE I don't think I can manage any more essays XD so I think I will most probably take further maths.

STEM subjects have always been secure;
Science(not social science)
Technology
Engineering
Mathematics

As you can see you are doing most STEM areas.
Reply 10
Original post by Ranadosa
huh, why not?

I have no idea lol. But tbh I doesn't matter too much I guess cuz I can still take normal maths with bio and chem for A2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending