The Student Room Group

Re: Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Tectonic activity & Hazards (2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by larabb
We have been told to do sub headings as questions. Anyone else doing it this way??

Yeah we've been taught that way too 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EdwaJenn10
I was personally going to use the Hawaiian hotspot and the Yellowstone hotspot/caldera (obviously depending on the question). Would it be better to discuss how volcanoes then form here (like Kilauea and Mauna Loa) and compare them to Yellowstone?
I've literally no clue what I'm doing anymore

You're over thinking it! Yeah what you said is fine because comparing them then evaluates the question, but don't waffle on too much with the volcanoes because of timing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lauraaa898
The exam isn't really on earthquakes. It's about what landscapes are made so you'd talk about rift valleys, fold mountains, fault scarps, transform faults and so on

Ok sweet. So if the question is to do with seismic processes I can just talk about different plate boundaries and their effect on landscapes?
Reply 203
Guys, anyone want to go over some essays or tips via skype call? I can make a group call or something?
Reply 204
Original post by Raisa97
Yeah we've been taught that way too 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool, the ones I've planned are 'what tectonic processes create divergence?'
'What distinctive landscapes are produced at the divergent plate boundary of Iceland?'
'Does the African rift valley have any other distinctive landscapes?'
'What tectonic processes create convergent plate boundaries?'
'What distinctive landscapes are created by convergence in the Himalays?'
'What tectonic processes create transform plate boundaries?'
'What distinctive landscapes are there in California?'
'What landscapes in Dartmoor are produced by intrusive volcanism?'

Does this sound ok?😅
Original post by larabb
Oh cool, the ones I've planned are 'what tectonic processes create divergence?'
'What distinctive landscapes are produced at the divergent plate boundary of Iceland?'
'Does the African rift valley have any other distinctive landscapes?'
'What tectonic processes create convergent plate boundaries?'
'What distinctive landscapes are created by convergence in the Himalays?'
'What tectonic processes create transform plate boundaries?'
'What distinctive landscapes are there in California?'
'What landscapes in Dartmoor are produced by intrusive volcanism?'

Does this sound ok?😅

Woah they seem so good compared to mine 😭
Btw how many volcanic features are you mentioning in total?
How many case studies do we need depth and how many do we need as "name drops"? I have a bunch but I don't want to over do it haha, oh and I'm panicking because I know nothing :0
Reply 207
Original post by Raisa97
Woah they seem so good compared to mine 😭
Btw how many volcanic features are you mentioning in total?

Well probs about shield volcanoes in Iceland intrusive for Dartmoor and then mentioning Kilimanjaro made up of 3 distinctive volcanic cones? Wbu😂
Does anyone have an example of a methodology table/ paragraph that they wouldn't mind sharing? Not sure how much detail to go into for each source or how many sources I should have, mine looks really bare and freaking out :frown:(

also, is it a good idea to reference sources within the main body? I have seen a few people mention it elsewhere not sure if it's worth the extra revision
Reply 209
Does anymore know if marks are awarded for a plan and also how long is everyone taking? or are u just gonna go straight into it
Original post by ZackSpeller
Ok sweet. So if the question is to do with seismic processes I can just talk about different plate boundaries and their effect on landscapes?

Well to a certain extent. The main focus is on the landscapes like rift valleys and stuff but I highly doubt they'll just base it primarily on seismic as its said to focus on volcanic also
Reply 211
Original post by kmcmanus
Does anyone have an example of a methodology table/ paragraph that they wouldn't mind sharing? Not sure how much detail to go into for each source or how many sources I should have, mine looks really bare and freaking out :frown:(

also, is it a good idea to reference sources within the main body? I have seen a few people mention it elsewhere not sure if it's worth the extra revision

Our teacher told us that its not worth any time doing a table it just takes too long. He suggested doing it as you go through so when you source something after write a sentence on why you used it e.g. Whittow is an academic physical geography dictionary.
Original post by JS20
Does anymore know if marks are awarded for a plan and also how long is everyone taking? or are u just gonna go straight into it

Marks can be awarded for the plan, if it clearly shows something that a candidate didn't have time to write out formally.

I saw a document produced by the chief examiner (I think) and it recommended spending something like 15 minutes on the plan, which I think is way too much.

It also said that applying three case studies to the question will always get more marks than simply describing seven case studies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JS20

Straight into it. Plans take up time especially if you know what you're writing about. We only have an 1:30 so I wanna get on with it. But the do mark plans, yes
Reply 214
Original post by kmcmanus

deffinitely reference throughout, even in the main body, you could add it in brackets e.g. San Andreas Fault Line is 800km Long and 10m Deep (USGS/ national geographic)
Reply 215
Original post by JS20

definitely do a plan, theres a whole page advised at the beginning and if you miss something out in the body of the report, they'll award you if its mentioned in the plan
What examples/case studies are people doing for seismic processes?
Reply 217
Is anyone else including subconclusions throughout the body of the report, as it says on the mark scheme to have 'ongoing evaluation', so if not how are you evaluating throughout?
Original post by Lauraaa898
Well to a certain extent. The main focus is on the landscapes like rift valleys and stuff but I highly doubt they'll just base it primarily on seismic as its said to focus on volcanic also

Are seismic processes just the same as tectonic?
Original post by ZackSpeller
Are seismic processes just the same as tectonic?

Yes, tectonics cause seismic action

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending