The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Which exam was that?

-------

I need an A* in maths (or further maths but that won't be happening) to go to my firm uni, and after a horrible exam this morning, I will need pretty much full marks in my other core maths paper in order to achieve that :frown: I'm gutted because I did all of the past papers and recently have been getting almost full marks in them, and then this paper comes along and it's completely different to any other :frown:

Anon 6

Just to give you some anecdotal evidence (not trying to rub anything at all).

I wanted to study Maths at uni, so I picked up Further Maths in Year 13, and my offer was A*AA. For Maths, C3 came first and was pretty happy with how it went. Then came C4 - I missed out an entire question because I'd forgotten how to find the volume of revolution of something or something like that. Whilst doing the question, it felt so horrible, and I kind of sat there for 5 minutes with my head in my hands. A friend who was sat next to me told me after the exam that he noticed and wanted to poke me or tell me to get on with it. I also missed out on half a question on vectors, but hammered my C3 and in the end got 100 and 84 to get the A* in the end, so ya know.. that might not be a consolation if you've done AQA C3 today (though I did it with Edexcel) and you might be better at C4 anyway.

Also, with Further Maths, I had to sit M1 with FP2 as well as S4 with D1. I did M1 first and that was fine, but when it came to FP2 I genuinely struggled, and did that thing where you flick through questions until you find a question that you can answer - I got to the end of the paper very quickly. I thought it went disastrously and I was expecting 30-40. Luckily I got 52, got around 80s in the other stats units and closer to 100 in the others and got an A overall, so okay, there's some pressure on you but it's by no means impossible.

What I'm trying to say is that you might get more than you might expect, and you can afford one bad exam or even 1-2 bad questions in core maths and it could still be okay. It's annoying when they mix papers up and make things difficult and it feels like your hard work has been wasted, but it's over and you should focus on your other exams and try to do the best you can, otherwise you'll regret it.

Good luck! :h:
Original post by SeanFM
Just to give you some anecdotal evidence (not trying to rub anything at all).

I wanted to study Maths at uni, so I picked up Further Maths in Year 13, and my offer was A*AA. For Maths, C3 came first and was pretty happy with how it went. Then came C4 - I missed out an entire question because I'd forgotten how to find the volume of revolution of something or something like that. Whilst doing the question, it felt so horrible, and I kind of sat there for 5 minutes with my head in my hands. A friend who was sat next to me told me after the exam that he noticed and wanted to poke me or tell me to get on with it. I also missed out on half a question on vectors, but hammered my C3 and in the end got 100 and 84 to get the A* in the end, so ya know.. that might not be a consolation if you've done AQA C3 today (though I did it with Edexcel) and you might be better at C4 anyway.

Also, with Further Maths, I had to sit M1 with FP2 as well as S4 with D1. I did M1 first and that was fine, but when it came to FP2 I genuinely struggled, and did that thing where you flick through questions until you find a question that you can answer - I got to the end of the paper very quickly. I thought it went disastrously and I was expecting 30-40. Luckily I got 52, got around 80s in the other stats units and closer to 100 in the others and got an A overall, so okay, there's some pressure on you but it's by no means impossible.

What I'm trying to say is that you might get more than you might expect, and you can afford one bad exam or even 1-2 bad questions in core maths and it could still be okay. It's annoying when they mix papers up and make things difficult and it feels like your hard work has been wasted, but it's over and you should focus on your other exams and try to do the best you can, otherwise you'll regret it.

Good luck! :h:

Thank you :smile: It's quite reassuring to hear stories like this!

I'm slightly more confident in core 4 than core 3 I think, so things should be okay if it's a reasonable paper. Everyone seems to be complaining about core 3 though so hopefully the grade boundaries will be quite low.
Thank you :smile: It's quite reassuring to hear stories like this!

I'm slightly more confident in core 4 than core 3 I think, so things should be okay if it's a reasonable paper. Everyone seems to be complaining about core 3 though so hopefully the grade boundaries will be quite low.

:hat2:

That's good, hopefully your hard work pays off this time around and you get more than you think in C3. And yeah.. don't expect anything for results day, just try to enjoy your summer as best as you can :tongue:
I've posted this in a couple of threads places but maybe here I'd get some good responses too? Over the past few years I've struggled with mental illnesses and a condition of my uni offer is passing the occupational health checks. I've just been left a voicemail saying they need an occupational physician to review my case and I need to go up for a full meeting.. what do i expect from it?? are they going to reject me because of my issues??
Original post by 788emma
I've posted this in a couple of threads places but maybe here I'd get some good responses too? Over the past few years I've struggled with mental illnesses and a condition of my uni offer is passing the occupational health checks. I've just been left a voicemail saying they need an occupational physician to review my case and I need to go up for a full meeting.. what do i expect from it?? are they going to reject me because of my issues??

They can't reject you just because of your issues. They can reject you if there's an issue with safety / fitness to practise or there's no adjustments they can make and they've justified it. (which is mostly a safety thing)
Was in lectures 10.45am to 4pm. My mind is exhausted. I had to take some clonazepam as the voices were overwhelming and I couldn't hear the professor. Not to mention alll the people behind me whispering about what a complete freak I am. My notes (the small amount I took) are completely unreadable and I don't even remember what the lecture was about so what a waste of time that was. :frown:
why is it so hard to be alone? :frown:

like on days where I am doing things, especially if I go out, I feel okay, I feel like I can do the whole life thing, I feel like maybe, MAYBE there is hope I can feel good about myself.

but then the next day comes and im alone, I have nothing to do and suddenly it's like a black hope opens up inside of me & sucks away all those good feelings, all I feel on days like today is just complete & utter despair & hopelessness.

I've been so good, I've not done anything "bad" for a really long time now but right now there are thoughts in my head, the thoughts are getting louder every day like this and I don't know how much longer I can ignore them.

I just don't know what to do.

I had to try & sort my life out and I am but at the same time it's like...I dunno...but I really am not coping with things today at all.
Original post by Sabertooth
Was in lectures 10.45am to 4pm. My mind is exhausted. I had to take some clonazepam as the voices were overwhelming and I couldn't hear the professor. Not to mention alll the people behind me whispering about what a complete freak I am. My notes (the small amount I took) are completely unreadable and I don't even remember what the lecture was about so what a waste of time that was. :frown:

:hugs: could you see if anyone recorded the lecture? Or get a dictophone yourself for times like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JordanL_
Hi, I've had CBT a few times! Although for depression and anxiety, not OCD.

Since it's your first session your therapist will probably just talk to you about how you feel, what sort of problems you're having, to get an idea of how they can help. It's nothing really scary, try to relax - they're usually laid back and friendly. After that, CBT is about changing your thoughts and behaviours. Your therapist will work with you to try to identify all the thoughts you have that you might not even notice, and how those thoughts affect how you behave and feel, and how your behaviour affects your thoughts. Sounds complicated but it's not really. It's just about changing how you think, but your therapist will guide you through it.

Although be warned, it takes a bit of effort. Your therapist might give you a little bit of stuff to read between sessions, or ask you to keep a log of your thoughts and behaviours through the day. It's not difficult or time consuming, but it's still work. I think that's why I don't like CBT :biggrin:

Well done for getting help! It's a scary thing to do and I think really it's the hardest part, so just try to relax and things are gonna get better from now :biggrin:

Original post by Spock's Socks
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis :frown: :hugs: I was diagnosed with OCD as a child and its been a daily struggle ever since. I recently started CBT but it wasn't too effective for me, mainly due to the therapist herself and not the actual teaching and methods of CBT. For OCD, you will most likely get a type of CBT called ERP (Exposure Response Prevention Therapy) which has very high success rates for OCD, especially for contamination based OCD.

The first few sessions will be assessing you. They will ask you about your past to see if something has maybe triggered this condition, ask for a family history on mental health if any, ask about how the condition affects you on a day to day basis and things like that. You might get given tasks to do straight away but your therapist might wait until you are more settled and know more about how OCD personally affects you before they give you tasks.

Best of luck with your therapy and I hope you don't have the bad experience I did with my therapist. She was a nightmare and you can read about what she was like on here or on my blog but don't fear, most therapists are nothing like her. I was just unlucky. I really hope therapy helps you, its a long road but worth it and well done on taking the first step - its harder than many people realise. My inbox is always open if you ever need to chat :h: :hugs:

Hi, thanks so much to both of you for giving me an insight into what CBT is like! Genuinely you have both made me feel a lot less anxious about what will happen initally. I really hope therapy will be helpful for me, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what it's like, and whether I can put in the commitment needed. I'm determined to have a good go at tackling OCD, as it's rather quickly beginning to take over my life. Also, would it be okay if I carry on posting here? Really feel like this would be a helpful place for me, particularly on difficult days!
Hi, thanks so much to both of you for giving me an insight into what CBT is like! Genuinely you have both made me feel a lot less anxious about what will happen initally. I really hope therapy will be helpful for me, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what it's like, and whether I can put in the commitment needed. I'm determined to have a good go at tackling OCD, as it's rather quickly beginning to take over my life. Also, would it be okay if I carry on posting here? Really feel like this would be a helpful place for me, particularly on difficult days!

Glad you're feeling a bit better now about everything :smile: It can feel very overwhelming when you first get diagnosed or start therapy.

Of course its ok to keep posting on here! We're all for you and each other on the good and bad days :hugs:
Original post by PandaWho
:hugs: could you see if anyone recorded the lecture? Or get a dictophone yourself for times like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have a single friend in class, I completely embarrassed myself the other day by losing track of where I was and called my cat's name. So, needless to say, everyone now thinks I'm a total weirdo. I keep trying to engage them in conversation but no one's interested.

The dictophone is a good idea but I'd need permission from the disability department to do so, but I haven't spoken to them about what's going on with me so it'll be a no. :frown:
I don't have a single friend in class, I completely embarrassed myself the other day by losing track of where I was and called my cat's name. So, needless to say, everyone now thinks I'm a total weirdo. I keep trying to engage them in conversation but no one's interested.

The dictophone is a good idea but I'd need permission from the disability department to do so, but I haven't spoken to them about what's going on with me so it'll be a no. :frown:

Ah, there are happening worse things, than calling your cat's name. And friendships generally often come unexpected...to my experience. And even a total weirdo image won't change it. Being nice is often rewarded in the long run.

Just go to them and ask, do not assume they will no, until they have. (Though we could use it even with only the permission of the lecturer...)
Why do I bother.

AA

Ahh right i know a friend got a dictoohone and just asked each lecturer at the atart of the lwcture if she could record. It wasnt through disability or anything. Just meant so could go over it at home to make more detailed notes
My best friend asked me to come over from a chat today, and told me he's having really negative thoughts about body image and thinks he's developing an eating disorder. He's an international student, and doesn't really get on with family, so I'm the only person he could confide in :frown: he knows that I had anorexia, so I think he's worried about triggering me- but I do want to help support him. Not really sure what to do...
And OCD has once again decided to make nighttime a miserable experience :frown:
I'm getting so upset over it (I'm crying now).
I now dread getting into bed as its just been horrible over the last few days!
Idk what's going on!!
I give up!
Original post by FireFreezer77
Idk what's going on!!
I give up!

:grouphugs:Have you tried anything in particular to try and ease it/ has anything helped before?

You're a strong person, and I'm sure you can get through this- don't give up!
Original post by FireFreezer77
Idk what's going on!!
I give up!

:hugs:

---------

*SH trigger*

Spoiler

^^^
~Anon 1 sorry forgot again :redface:
Original post by Ezme39
:grouphugs:Have you tried anything in particular to try and ease it/ has anything helped before?

You're a strong person, and I'm sure you can get through this- don't give up!

Well I'm using a lot of hand sanitizer, which has worked until a few days ago!

Thanks, but I'm really not! I sure hope so!
Thankyou :hugs:

Latest