The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Science C4 C5 C6 14th June 2016 Discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louisemayorx
Yes it was why was Matt right in that row 4/5 of Newland's table given in the question different to today's periodic table!

How many marks was it? 2?. I said misread and wrote about germanium being missing
What were the temperature changes for the 6 marker on end/exothermic reactions?
Original post by NiamhM1801
That's what my friends put. But lead is in group 4??

In the revision guide and on BBC bitesize it says Pb has a +2 charge so I'm pretty sure it was Pb^2+ + 2e^- -----> Pb
Original post by Raven Gallop
In the revision guide and on BBC bitesize it says Pb has a +2 charge so I'm pretty sure it was Pb^2+ + 2e^- -----> Pb

I know it was now that I've looked it up, but it's a bit late now haha

It still doesn't make sense though, but it's just one of those things I'll have to accept and move on...
Original post by Christina121
What were the temperature changes for the 6 marker on end/exothermic reactions?

First one +7.0°C
Second one -0.5°C
Last one -3.5°C or -4°C can't really remember
I know it was now that I've looked it up, but it's a bit late now haha

It still doesn't make sense though, but it's just one of those things I'll have to accept and move on...

Yeah, swear it was only a mark so I doubt it will impact your grade at all. Im sure you did great.
Original post by andreeac
What did everyone get for the question where you kept having to flick back to the periodic table ?😂 I wrote the elements down however I keep hearing from people that you had to write the SYMBOLS . Will they still give me a mark?

Yeah. You shouldn't have had to write the symbols, they were probably expecting names tbh. I did the same thing, symbols didn't even occur to me
Original post by Raven Gallop
Yeah, swear it was only a mark so I doubt it will impact your grade at all. Im sure you did great.

Hopefully not. I found the short answer questions really hard in this one, but the 6 markers were lovely. So it was a bit of a mix
First one +7.0°C
Second one -0.5°C
Last one -3.5°C or -4°C can't really remember

-4°C m8
Reply 169
Original post by Neginmortazzavi
Did anyone say that lead had a lower melting point

yeah i said low, i was unsure if 373 was meant to be low or high in the context of the question?
Original post by Ben.M
Yeah it's just P4 has so many equations and formulae, I know they're given but there are so many relationships. I can't do P5 because of all the circuit rules, I just can't make them make sense so I don't remember them. :frown:

I find P6 really interesting, anything nuclear and radioactive interests me so I'm good at it. :biggrin:

This is the same with me, I love P6 but maybe it's because I learnt it by myself in the Easter holidays whereas when I learnt p4&5 I failed to get it in class and the two physics teachers weren't much help leaving mid GCSES leaving only biologists and chemists in the science department •_• 😩😂
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
I said they are so unreactive that they haven't been discovered yet. Hence no observable characteristics. So I think we got similar answers there! :smile: I'm sure you've done better than you think.

Lol I knew it was group 0 but didn't know why so I just put that modern technologies weren't developed yet to be able to discover them😂
Original post by andreeac
What did everyone get for the question where you kept having to flick back to the periodic table ?😂 I wrote the elements down however I keep hearing from people that you had to write the SYMBOLS . Will they still give me a mark?

Oh my that first page of questions were so annoying because of the flicking back and forth😹😭 I put the element not the symbol I think so I'm not sure..
Original post by JRS123
yeah i said low, i was unsure if 373 was meant to be low or high in the context of the question?

The way people are saying what they wrote the more I'm thinking I didn't read the question properly because I know I just skimmed over the diagram due to shortage of time. I think I just saw the question as something similar to "what can you say about the melting point of lead?" So all I wrote was it has a high MP cos it was 300 and something which is pretty high😂
The question asked for the correct symbol, as the old scientist used different symbols to Mendeleev and they wanted us to use the proton numbers to find the right symbol. I believe, however, the mark scheme should allow the name too.
Can we make an unofficial mark scheme?
Original post by BULL14
Can we make an unofficial mark scheme?

We should, I'm willing to provide answers however I have bad memory so I can't remember most of the questions that were asked in the correct chronology.
Original post by kennethdcharles
The question asked for the correct symbol, as the old scientist used different symbols to Mendeleev and they wanted us to use the proton numbers to find the right symbol. I believe, however, the mark scheme should allow the name too.

Oh for THAT one...I thought they were on about a different question.
I think you were meant to put symbols yeah, did anyone else get Be and B?
Oh for THAT one...I thought they were on about a different question.
I think you were meant to put symbols yeah, did anyone else get Be and B?

Yep that is what I got :smile:
Original post by Deliciate
We should, I'm willing to provide answers however I have bad memory so I can't remember most of the questions that were asked in the correct chronology.

The last question about isolation - was left,middle,right
The products of silver chloride was chlorine
The answer to the silver chloride word equation.- ?
The question about endothermic and exothermic reactions - label the graphs and which reaction corresponded to which graph and draw the energy levels and say exo... gives energy to surrounding or vice versa.
I hope this helps

Quick Reply