The Student Room Group

Studying and ESA

I am disabled and currently receive DLA and ESA. Because of my DLA entitlement, I was under the impression I should be able to continue getting ESA when I go to university.

I am aware that they take student finance etc is taken into account as income, however, someone has told me ESA consider the highest amount of student finance when calculating your income, even if you're not entitled to it. Is this true?! For example, I get very little, as I'll be on a NHS course, so I will get an £1000 bursary and £1750 loan. That's all. This is well below what an ESA claim would entitle me too. However the person I spoke to said they will assume I'm entitled to the full loan and bursary amount. That must be wrong surely?! Anyone have any experience?
They take the amount you're entitled to. So, if you're entitled to (I'm just making up numbers here) £5000 and only take £3500, they'll take the £5000 into account because it's money that's there for you and you've just chosen not to take it.

When you inform ESA that you're a full time student, they'll ask for proof of your income. You get a letter from student finance and the NHS showing what you're entitled to. You send that off and they work out your ESA based on that.
Original post by Tiger Rag
They take the amount you're entitled to. So, if you're entitled to (I'm just making up numbers here) £5000 and only take £3500, they'll take the £5000 into account because it's money that's there for you and you've just chosen not to take it.

When you inform ESA that you're a full time student, they'll ask for proof of your income. You get a letter from student finance and the NHS showing what you're entitled to. You send that off and they work out your ESA based on that.

Right, great thank you! That makes sense! The other person was so insistent. Im definitely only entitled to under £3000 so I should get some to make up the difference.

Thank you for reassuring me!

Quick Reply

Latest