The Student Room Group

The world is a better place without religion. Discuss

I think so.
Religion doesn't benefit the world greatly in many ways.
The belief in a "God" is slowly diminishing due to the fact that "God" was originally used to fill the gaps in knowledge that we didn't know because science hadn't discovered it yet.
Without religion there will be less pointless teachings to follow.
Following on from that we get our morals from our parents and the place we grew up in so none of the "God gave us morals" in here.
We were all raised by some way learning what's right and wrong, we don't need a religion to tell us this.

Scroll to see replies

Religion isn't the problem, it's individuals.
can't take you seriously with your name
Sorry but I've already done a philosophy exam today.
Of course not. Religion is culture and places around the world are interesting because of architecture, culture. People love to travel the world to experience a different life, atmosphere and people. It's culture and religion that makes it such a dying experience. A world without religion, would be nothing. Well, it would be something but there would be nothing new, interesting, enjoyable or mystery. I love how religion has impacted us as people and around the world, how lessons are learnt and people having a goal/dream to chase.
Original post by Truth is Life
It's not religion in General it's a specific 5 letter Religion starting with I and ending with m

How many Terrorist attacks have been carried out in the name of Jesus or Moses or Joseph smith?

I'm a Christian and even I'm not this ignorant. Have you read a history book? People all over history have twisted religion to fool its followers into thinking that violence against those who don't "conform" is the only way to deal with them. They pick and choose what parts of the religion they want and then spread their madness through to susceptible newcomers or bitter "veterans" of the faith.

Religion itself isn't the problem, but just like PrinceProsperity said, it's the people who would use and twist it for their own gains and take advantage of the ignorant who are the problem.
Reply 6
Original post by PrinceProsperity
Religion isn't the problem, it's individuals.

I see so let's assume there are no radicals and everyone normally follows their religion... don't you think their beliefs are illogical?
Original post by eternalhinch
can't take you seriously with your name

:smile: help me make more names like that
It's not religion in General it's a specific 5 letter Religion starting with I and ending with m

How many Terrorist attacks have been carried out in the name of Jesus or Moses or Joseph smith?

Pls just because idiots doing things in the name of Islam is the big threat today doesn't mean that in the past there could've been a similar thing with another religion.
Like the crusades for example, i know it was a holy war but i'm sure muslims weren't involved
Original post by thefreakoffreaks
Sorry but I've already done a philosophy exam today.

Lol, there's always time to argue :smile:
Original post by jasminenctang
Of course not. Religion is culture and places around the world are interesting because of architecture, culture. People love to travel the world to experience a different life, atmosphere and people. It's culture and religion that makes it such a dying experience. A world without religion, would be nothing. Well, it would be something but there would be nothing new, interesting, enjoyable or mystery. I love how religion has impacted us as people and around the world, how lessons are learnt and people having a goal/dream to chase.

I disagree it would be the pinnacle of efficiency and eugenics and the brilliant future, religion has held the world back in terms of science with its "teachings"

Damn you still mad? LOL you need to calm down honestly.
Original post by alexschmalex
I'm a Christian and even I'm not this ignorant. Have you read a history book? People all over history have twisted religion to fool its followers into thinking that violence against those who don't "conform" is the only way to deal with them. They pick and choose what parts of the religion they want and then spread their madness through to susceptible newcomers or bitter "veterans" of the faith.

Religion itself isn't the problem, but just like PrinceProsperity said, it's the people who would use and twist it for their own gains and take advantage of the ignorant who are the problem.

I'm a Christian too, and i couldn't agree more!
Why would a better place be any more valuable than a worse place? Aren't they both just as equally meaningless?
Humans will always have a reason for conflict.

Judging by your last 20 odd comments I've seen- u are clearly misguided
If u don't have nothing nice to say, why spread hate

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can only say, things happen and some if not all, you cannot change that. Religion is not a mistake, a wrong doing. it is all right. The world is always a better place to be and live in, when there is a new turn, a new discovery, it gets people excited, so why can't religion. It's beautiful to watch and witness what life is like outside of your own and religion offers this. Millions of places in the world are famous because of religion.
Original post by Kittyboy
Why would a better place be any more valuable than a worse place? Aren't they both just as equally meaningless?

Because it tells us how far we've come to come to agreement about specific things to make a better world, be it more peace or feeding the world or anything beneficial, it's more valuable ecause of the things the world has achieved as a human race.
A worse place just reminds us that we've yet to solve many problems which still exist and that we haven't come to an agreement about anything.
However if you wanna go to that kind of argument then we can just say that it's all a social construct what a good or bad world is, what is better and what is worse.
Original post by Hubba_Hubba
Humans will always have a reason for conflict.

I think so too, that's why we kill them :h:
Original post by fartinugget
Because it tells us how far we've come to come to agreement about specific things to make a better world, be it more peace or feeding the world or anything beneficial, it's more valuable ecause of the things the world has achieved as a human race.

And you perceive that as valuable? How does that have any more worth than say, every inch of the world's surface being covered by people held in torture chambers where they never get to see the light of day? Or have any more value than every human dropping dead for no apparent cause?

A worse place just reminds us that we've yet to solve many problems which still exist and that we haven't come to an agreement about anything.
Does it really tell us that? Why solve these problems?
However if you wanna go to that kind of argument then we can just say that it's all a social construct what a good or bad world is, what is better and what is worse.I think so too, that's why we kill them :h:

It is indeed a social construct, what else would it be? And just like everything else, it has no worth to it at all. There's no point in making the world a better place. And there's no point in making it a nastier place.

All you're doing by killing them is speeding up the process of death, which is meaningless :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Religion is growing and not dying.
Original post by Passion Fruit
Religion is growing and not dying.

um, in the western world, it's clearly getting its ass kicked
in the third world, well, the population is going up, and hence, the numbers of religious individuals are rising - that's not a % increase though because it doesn't change the demographics - if anything the % of atheists in the third world (at least when it doesn't get them killed) is going to go up with the rise of information and globalisation
religion is a bad thing overall
it is illogical and endorses delusive stupidity in that it often firmly rejects science
but not only that, but it encourages things like homophobia and misogyny, or child abuse (circumcision)
Original post by sleepysnooze
um, in the western world, it's clearly getting its ass kicked
in the third world, well, the population is going up, and hence, the numbers of religious individuals are rising - that's not a % increase though because it doesn't change the demographics - if anything the % of atheists in the third world (at least when it doesn't get them killed) is going to go up with the rise of information and globalisation

LEDC's have faster growing populations whereas MEDC's have falling populations and so import religious people from foreign countries. Once Christianity bottoms out religion will rise sharply in the West.

Quick Reply

Latest