The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
anyone else properly ****ed for this exam?
Original post by NOP97
anyone else properly ****ed for this exam?

I feel more confident than unit 3 but it isn't great confidence
Like I feel good for the 15 markers but not really 45s
Reply 522
I'm looking at the past questions, and haven't got a scooby doo.
What is the relationship of Committee chairs to Party Leaders..?
Original post by imaaniee
What is the relationship of Committee chairs to Party Leaders..?

I know that committee chairs have to be from the majority party?
For the question "how effectively have SC protected 1st Amendment rights?"
How would it be answered?
Because it just seems like a case of saying, it effectively protected in this case as one para and then not in another
It just seems like giving cases and how would you expand on it?
What points would people include for: Whydo only a small amount of bills proposed in Congress become laws? (15)
Original post by Tezcatlipoca12
What points would people include for: Whydo only a small amount of bills proposed in Congress become laws? (15)
Why do only a small amount ofbills proposed in Congress become laws
Only around 4% of bills proposed in Congress become laws
- Polarisation(equal power for passing legislation in both the House and Senate) especiallywhen under control of different parties like now (2014 mid terms) republicanshave 54 seats in the Senate, whilst there is a Democratic president o Lackof immigration reform now
o Republicanswill pass nothing which favours amnesty
- Veto Enhanced by polarisation o Presidentcan veto all of the legislation at the end, like Obama did with the keystonepipeline in 2013
o Veto is difficult for congress to override
- Pigeonholingand multiple blocking points o Bush’sclear skies legislation was vetoed several times by the Democrats
- Demandingprocess
o Equal rights amendment gained the support of 35 states
o Passed in Congress But fell short of the 38 states needed thus was not ratified
o Impossibleif government is controlled by different parties
(edited 7 years ago)
hey !! urgent does anyone have any examples of where the 'necessary and proper' (elastic?) clause has been used to expand gov ?!>!?!?! THANKS A ZILLION
Reply 529
Original post by MelissaaC
Why do only a small amount ofbills proposed in Congress become laws
Only around 4% of bills proposed in Congress become laws
- Polarisation(equal power for passing legislation in both the House and Senate) especiallywhen under control of different parties like now (2014 mid terms) republicanshave 54 seats in the Senate, whilst there is a Democratic president o Lackof immigration reform now
o Republicanswill pass nothing which favours amnesty
- Veto Enhanced by polarisation o Presidentcan veto all of the legislation at the end, like Obama did with the keystonepipeline in 2013 o Vetois difficult for congress to override
- Pigeonholingand multiple blocking points o Bush’sclear skies legislation was vetoed several times by the Democrats
- Demandingprocess
o Equalrights amendment gained the support of 35 states
o Passed in Congresso Butfell short of the 38 states needed thus was not ratified
o Impossibleif government is controlled by different parties

You copying this from a document? I beg you share it
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
For the question "how effectively have SC protected 1st Amendment rights?"
How would it be answered?
Because it just seems like a case of saying, it effectively protected in this case as one para and then not in another
It just seems like giving cases and how would you expand on it?

Yeah I think so. I'd probably use Citizens United (explaining the controversy though) and Engel v. Vitale for yes, and then Roth v. US for no, as that blocked obscenity.
Ah now I'm panicking. This paper was meant to pull my grade up after how 3c went and at this rate I feel like I can barely even answer the 15 marks
Original post by Tezcatlipoca12

1) Polarisation (Obamacare issues I guess)
2) Committees full power of amendment (only 7% survived in 113th Congress through the committee stage)
3) the need for it to go through both houses, conference committee issues. e.g. Obama Climate Change bill died in senate
4) veto!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by imaaniee
Ah now I'm panicking. This paper was meant to pull my grade up after how 3c went and at this rate I feel like I can barely even answer the -5 marks

I'm in the same position! I thought the 15 markers for unit 3 didn't go very well so I was hoping to get a really good grade this time, but it looks like that's not happening... but this exam essentially decides which uni I go to :frown:
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Yeah I think so. I'd probably use Citizens United (explaining the controversy though) and Engel v. Vitale for yes, and then Roth v. US for no, as that blocked obscenity.

Thank you! I kind of want to avoid SC questions, but if it isn't a 45 chances are it'll be one or two 15s hahah
Also how would u answer how effectively constitution protects freedoms ?!??!?! apparently the mark scheme approach isn't legitimate anymore as change in examiner !!
Type in us smoke filled room blog spot into google. The Blog has endless answers to 15 markers and also some 45 markers
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
Thank you! I kind of want to avoid SC questions, but if it isn't a 45 chances are it'll be one or two 15s hahah

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but hopefully the 15s will be nice. I'm dreading them though - if they asked about protection of, say, the First Amendment only in the Roberts Court, for example, I don't know what I'd do. The cases I know are across many decades.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I'm in the same position! I thought the 15 markers for unit 3 didn't go very well so I was hoping to get a really good grade this time, but it looks like that's not happening... but this exam essentially decides which uni I go to :frown:

Yeah literally same...I'm so so nervous
does anyone know what date sub-committees were established?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending