The Student Room Group

Is anyone else being set COMPULSORY summer work?

Between the holidays of GCSEs to A Levels.
Today I got a maths workbook (which 'bridges the gap' :colonhash:) that our school wants us to complete by the first lesson back smh.
I mean I love maths but really? :lol:

Has anyone else been given work to do over the summer? :biggrin:

EDIT: they also made us pay £2 for it just to make it even worse :/ I could have bought 2 bags of twirl bites :daydreaming:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No :woo:
Original post by saraxh
No :woo:

:emo:
After I finish my GCSEs? Pah, not even one in a million chances. But in the past years? I concur, I've been set compulsory work, a good way to ruin your well-deserved holiday.
Original post by surina16
Between the holidays of GCSEs to A Levels.
Today I got a maths workbook (which 'bridges the gap' :colonhash:) that our school wants us to complete by the first lesson back smh.
I mean I love maths but really? :lol:

Has anyone else been given work to do over the summer? :biggrin:

Omg really? I'm not even 100% on my options but I'm thinking of doing some work anyway just to ease myself in but compulsory work is a bit rough imo - it's supposed to be the best summer of your life lol :hoppy:
Reply 5
I don't even know what subjects I'm doing yet so nope :tongue: Oh plus I'm going to a different school anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
That sounds pretty stupid.
Benefits of moving to a new school I guess.
No.
Last year in my AS-A2 summer, I had to have read all of my books for English Lit, have covered the first chapter for Geography and written a 45 mark essay on it, and done background reading for History. I didn't have any work for the GCSE-AS summer IIRC, but I can see why you would maybe need it for Maths.

Go ahead and do it early on, so you're not doing what I did (trying to write a 45 mark essay at 10pm the day before my first lesson after having months to do it), and you'll have got a headstart on the people in your class who haven't done the work (there'll probably be quite a few, and they'll end up struggling when the teacher skips that bit because they've presumed you know it).
Reply 8
I took quite a long time to wonder why you said 'back' but then realized you're going to your school's 6th form :tongue:
:emo:

:hugs:
No

Original post by romansholiday
Omg really? I'm not even 100% on my options but I'm thinking of doing some work anyway just to ease myself in but compulsory work is a bit rough imo - it's supposed to be the best summer of your life lol :hoppy:

Yeah I was thinking about doing that but nah :biggrin:
Tbh I'll probably end up doing it all the night before :lol:

Yep the longest summer we'll have ever had :ahee:
Original post by Evilstr99
After I finish my GCSEs? Pah, not even one in a million chances. But in the past years? I concur, I've been set compulsory work, a good way to ruin your well-deserved holiday.

literally the doings of the devil :redface: :lol:
Original post by luciie
I don't even know what subjects I'm doing yet so nope :tongue: Oh plus I'm going to a different school anyway.

have you not submitted your choices yet? :P
Reply 14
have you not submitted your choices yet? :P

We don't have to until results day :smile:
Original post by ElspethC
Last year in my AS-A2 summer, I had to have read all of my books for English Lit, have covered the first chapter for Geography and written a 45 mark essay on it, and done background reading for History. I didn't have any work for the GCSE-AS summer IIRC, but I can see why you would maybe need it for Maths.

Go ahead and do it early on, so you're not doing what I did (trying to write a 45 mark essay at 10pm the day before my first lesson after having months to do it), and you'll have got a headstart on the people in your class who haven't done the work (there'll probably be quite a few, and they'll end up struggling when the teacher skips that bit because they've presumed you know it).

that sounds painful :rofl:
I remember that I was meant to read all of Pride and Prejudice and Macbeth during the Year10/11 summer but I never did it and had so many regrets :colondollar: So yeah, I'll definitely be doing the work this year :biggrin:

Spoiler

I remember after I finished GCSEs an email with compulsory holiday work was meant to be sent out. In the event, it only got sent on the last day of the summer holidays which was no use to anyone.
Honestly though, I can see why they are doing it and it won't cause any harm. It's a good way to maintain your work ethic and to refresh yourself a little bit.

However, I would rather not because I'm sick and tired of doing the subjects I love, never mind the subjects I hate. I might teach myself the first part of the new specification for maths though because who doesn't want some maths in their life. :biggrin:
Original post by Platopus
I remember after I finished GCSEs an email with compulsory holiday work was meant to be sent out. In the event, it only got sent on the last day of the summer holidays which was no use to anyone.

Hopefully no-one got in trouble for not doing it! I know some of my teachers wouldn't take "but I only got the email yesterday" as an excuse, they'd want to know why we hadn't done the work overnight :colonhash: not even an exaggeration, actually nearly happened once - one wanted to know why someone hadn't done her coursework, never mind that she'd been in hospital with meningitis for six weeks
Yeah...you're not the only one.

My school sets tasks for the subjects you wanna study at A-LEVEL in summer after GCSEs too. This system in our school is called 'Pre-enrolment Preparation Tasks' (for SIXTH FORM)!

Quick Reply

Latest