The Student Room Group

Question about examiner marking

I've been thinking about this for quite a long time now... I'm wondering if anyone knows if examiners are told to mark strictly to the mark scheme and mark on more or less what is says
or
if the answer logically makes sense to a mark that is shown in the mark scheme but explained a bit differently to be given the mark?
Reply 1
Original post by B3ASTy
I've been thinking about this for quite a long time now... I'm wondering if anyone knows if examiners are told to mark strictly to the mark scheme and mark on more or less what is says
or
if the answer logically makes sense to a mark that is shown in the mark scheme but explained a bit differently to be given the mark?

It depends on the subject and the question. Mark schemes come with a page or two of guidance before the actual marks (exam boards don't tend to publish this) which will specify how lenient you can be. Equally, some questions will say "don't accept" or "only accept", whilst others will state "any reasonable solution".
Reply 2
Original post by tory88
It depends on the subject and the question. Mark schemes come with a page or two of guidance before the actual marks (exam boards don't tend to publish this) which will specify how lenient you can be. Equally, some questions will say "don't accept" or "only accept", whilst others will state "any reasonable solution".

yeah i know about the accept and allow, i mean mostly about sciences, geography, dt etc.
Reply 3
Original post by B3ASTy
yeah i know about the accept and allow, i mean mostly about sciences, geography, dt etc.

Science generally allows anything that is scientifically correct and a valid response to the question (of course this relies on the competence of the examiner and your ability to explain things well). I can't comment on the other subjects overly, but I would imagine they also allow correct ideas.
Original post by B3ASTy

Geography for my exam board is very lenient I believe because there are so many variations of answers, and the sample answers on the mark scheme are a possible few.
Reply 5
Original post by tory88
Science generally allows anything that is scientifically correct and a valid response to the question (of course this relies on the competence of the examiner and your ability to explain things well). I can't comment on the other subjects overly, but I would imagine they also allow correct ideas.

thanks for your help, it's because sometimes i ramble on a bit about it but in the mark scheme its very strict and straight to the point
Reply 6
Original post by romansholiday
Geography for my exam board is very lenient I believe because there are so many variations of answers, and the sample answers on the mark scheme are a possible few.

who's your board?
Original post by B3ASTy
who's your board?

Edexcel - not many people are on this board, most are on AQA for Geog.
Reply 8
Edexcel - not many people are on this board, most are on AQA for Geog.

yeah i'm on aqa and i think i did actually quite poorer than expected and i hope they're lenient aswell, plus the grade boundaries are pretty low for geog and i've secured an a* with my CA so... hopefully
Original post by B3ASTy
yeah i'm on aqa and i think i did actually quite poorer than expected and i hope they're lenient aswell, plus the grade boundaries are pretty low for geog and i've secured an a* with my CA so... hopefully

I'm already worried about results day! I actually think I did alright in most subjects, however I kinda ran out of time for revision with all of them so I'm expecting Bs. I want to do Geog, Bio and Chem next year. Chem went alright, Geog's first exam was a mess bu the second exam was great, and Bio I really don't know how to feel and I think I might get a B unfortunately :frown: Stupid B1 test and 5 marker on phenotypes and genotypes in B2 ahhh
Reply 10
I'm already worried about results day! I actually think I did alright in most subjects, however I kinda ran out of time for revision with all of them so I'm expecting Bs. I want to do Geog, Bio and Chem next year. Chem went alright, Geog's first exam was a mess bu the second exam was great, and Bio I really don't know how to feel and I think I might get a B unfortunately :frown: Stupid B1 test and 5 marker on phenotypes and genotypes in B2 ahhh

You'll be alright, i think we'll all have some surprises on results day!

Quick Reply

Latest