The Student Room Group

Indecisive about A Levels?

I literally cannot decide on my A Levels and obviously I should have a solid decision by now. I have no idea what to do. I want to do stuff I enjoy but also keep my options open and I'm just so stuck. Was anyone else this indecisive and how did you tackle it?
What are you good at, what do you like doing, what do you want to do?

I am taking Maths, Further maths, computer science and government and politics.
Reply 2
Original post by ajaxxay
I literally cannot decide on my A Levels and obviously I should have a solid decision by now. I have no idea what to do. I want to do stuff I enjoy but also keep my options open and I'm just so stuck. Was anyone else this indecisive and how did you tackle it?

Take a 50:50 arts/science split.

To keep options open...

Sciences - Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry (Biology if you enjoy it)
Arts - English, History, Economics, Politics, Languages (Geography if you enjoy it)

If you're wondering why Biology and Geography are in brackets, they're quite limited subjects with less transferable content IMO. However subjects like physics and chemistry have more analytical and mathematical orientations, and history is much more analytical than the likes of geography.

That's what I did and it's worked out for me!

I chose Maths, Politics, History and Biology and I've dropped Biology, focussing on the arts for an economics course!
Reply 3
Original post by 34908seikj
What are you good at, what do you like doing, what do you want to do?

I am taking Maths, Further maths, computer science and government and politics.

Interesting- what do you want to do after your A Levels?

I'd love to do Politics, Art and History the most, however choosing one science A Level to go with them probably wouldn't let me go into a science route you feel

I've been considering Law and Medicine but Law is probably more realistic due to my subject preferences tbh
Original post by jamestg

To keep options open...

Arts - English, History, Economics, Politics, Languages (Geography if you enjoy it)

If you're wondering why Biology and Geography are in brackets, they're quite limited subjects with less transferable content IMO. However subjects like physics and chemistry have more analytical and mathematical orientations, and history is much more analytical than the likes of geography.

I chose Maths, Politics, History and Biology and I've dropped Biology, focussing on the arts for an economics course!

I..I don't think you know what arts mean..?
Reply 5
Original post by jamestg

To keep options open...

I was thinking Art, Politics/History, Maths and Chemistry, but I'm a bit worried that I'm only gonna get a B in Maths (an A is recommended). How do you find it? With effort do you think I could get my grades higher at A Level?

(I'm predicted mostly As for all the other subjects tho)
Reply 6
I was really indecisive and went for the 'keeping my options open' route with well rounded subjects because I was pretty equally good at everything. I felt like I might have wanted to be a counsellor so I picked English literature, Biology, Math and Psychology. Then, on our final enrolment adjustment before college I changed Math to Law because Math sounded dull and Law sounded better (plus my friends were doing it:biggrin:).

I hated everything and I failed everything, apart from law ironically.
I then retook a year choosing Politics and Sociology whilst carrying on with Law. (Plus the extended project and an extra AS in English lang) I Really enjoyed these and am expecting to do well come results day.

My point is do what you enjoy, things that take your fancy because its worth it in the end... Do your research and perhaps go to taster days. Look over course specs and decide what looks best. Not having the most well rounded subjects will not stop you going onto uni and the various careers you may wish to. If you need something specific later on you can always find a way to achieve it, but for now do what you want to and feel you will enjoy and get good grades - that's what matters and you'll likely get more of an idea what you want to do later in life this way.
Original post by ajaxxay
Interesting- what do you want to do after your A Levels?

I'd love to do Politics, Art and History the most, however choosing one science A Level to go with them probably wouldn't let me go into a science route you feel

I've been considering Law and Medicine but Law is probably more realistic due to my subject preferences tbh

I was thinking about Law. I'll most likely do something in Maths since it's by far my best subject and the one i'm most passionate about, either that or computer science. I chose Government and politics simply because I didn't want to focus on science-y subjects, I think it's better to keep your options open - Also I like talking about politics so I think it'll be pretty fun to study!
Reply 8
Original post by kisaki
I was really indecisive and went for the 'keeping my options open' route with well rounded subjects because I was pretty equally good at everything. I felt like I might have wanted to be a counsellor so I picked English literature, Biology, Math and Psychology. Then, on our final enrolment adjustment before college I changed Math to Law because Math sounded dull and Law sounded better (plus my friends were doing it:biggrin:).

I hated everything and I failed everything, apart from law ironically.
I then retook a year choosing Politics and Sociology whilst carrying on with Law. (Plus the extended project and an extra AS in English lang) I Really enjoyed these and am expecting to do well come results day.

My point is do what you enjoy, things that take your fancy because its worth it in the end... Do your research and perhaps go to taster days. Look over course specs and decide what looks best. Not having the most well rounded subjects will not stop you going onto uni and the various careers you may wish to. If you need something specific later on you can always find a way to achieve it, but for now do what you want to and feel you will enjoy and get good grades - that's what matters and you'll likely get more of an idea what you want to do later in life this way.

Ahh thank you. I guess if I'm so indecisive I might as well do what I enjoy and if I take the wrong A Levels then I can still fix it (but won't regret what I took). What are you planning to do after your A Levels?
Reply 9
I was thinking about Law. I'll most likely do something in Maths since it's by far my best subject and the one i'm most passionate about, either that or computer science. I chose Government and politics simply because I didn't want to focus on science-y subjects, I think it's better to keep your options open - Also I like talking about politics so I think it'll be pretty fun to study!

That's good I hope you enjoy what you do in the future.

And me too- my whole Facebook timeline is entirely shared politics posts tbh I'm always talking about it!

'Arts subjects' encompass all of the humanities, social sciences and English. Although it may not include languages?... or at least my school lol.
Like what jamestg said, A mixture of sciences and arts subjects will open you more doors when you come to choose a major, if you are at a loss of what to do now.

I think he meant "social science"
IMO these subjects sometimes count as "arts" actually.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamestg
'Arts subjects' encompass all of the humanities, social sciences and English. Although it may not include languages?... or at least my school lol.

Oh, okay. At mine we had humanities as a separate sort of "category" with social sciences falling within that.
Reply 13
I'd honestly say take what you think you will enjoy! You'll usually do better if you do this because you'll actually find it interesting!! I basically did things I thought I'd enjoy, and you may not be 100% right but it would be better than if you took things just because you feel like you should? If you have any idea what you want to do after A-levels maybe have a little look at the courses they require so you have a general idea. But my advice would be to take what you enjoy, because you'll be doing them for 2 years so it's much better to be doing something you like! :smile:
Original post by ajaxxay
I was thinking Art, Politics/History, Maths and Chemistry, but I'm a bit worried that I'm only gonna get a B in Maths (an A is recommended). How do you find it? With effort do you think I could get my grades higher at A Level?

(I'm predicted mostly As for all the other subjects tho)

You can always drop Maths after AS but it is hard, especially if you lack rigour. If you do get a B in GCSE Maths, that does mean you may only have got 50% which really would not be good enough prep for A-level. However if you work hard it is possible and you may not have a B!

I didn't find it too bad at all because I can take Maths 'in' quite quickly. M1 (mechanics) was the only bit to cause problems for me, but I worked through them and I think the exam went quite well! The key is practice. If you can put aside an hour a day for maths, you'll do well.
Reply 15
I think my combination of A-Levels was close to perfect, even though many didn't understand, what on earth was I doing. I took Maths (for logic), History (for essay writing skills, and it's also massively interesting), Sociology (for deductive reasoning), German and Spanish, for language skills. Starting Computer Science and AI this year.
don't worry about it, I decided my A levels on results day and picked maths further maths and physics, best decision I could have made and it has changed me as a person
Reply 17
Original post by ajaxxay

I was in your position two years ago; I had chosen English Language, Geography, Media Studies, and Music Technology.

I dropped English within two weeks, and started Physics lessons instead.

Then, over a month later, I started Maths as well.

I dropped Music Technology after the first year, and took up Further Maths AS and A2. I almost dropped Media too, but my teacher persuaded me to keep it.

As you can see, the choices you make in year 11 are not definite. You should pick subjects that seem interesting, and swap them if they don't meet your expectations.
Reply 18
Original post by ombtom
I was in your position two years ago; I had chosen English Language, Geography, Media Studies, and Music Technology.

I dropped English within two weeks, and started Physics lessons instead.

Then, over a month later, I started Maths as well.

I dropped Music Technology after the first year, and took up Further Maths AS and A2. I almost dropped Media too, but my teacher persuaded me to keep it.

As you can see, the choices you make in year 11 are not definite. You should pick subjects that seem interesting, and swap them if they don't meet your expectations.

Ahh thank you!
Reply 19
Original post by ajaxxay
Ahh thank you. I guess if I'm so indecisive I might as well do what I enjoy and if I take the wrong A Levels then I can still fix it (but won't regret what I took). What are you planning to do after your A Levels?

Yeah, Do whatever feels best for you, happiness is very important but often overlooked. As someone said above you can always switch them around after a few weeks if you change your mind... Whatever happens, you'll get there and end up exactly where you're supposed to be. Don't panic, there's no rush to figure out the exact path of your life (although it often feels that way!!).

As for me I've accepted offers to study law at uni in September. I wish you all the best for the future OP:h:

Quick Reply

Latest