The Student Room Group

Sharing a room with boyfriend?

Hey there

So my boyfriend and I are hoping to try and find somewhere to live this September. I will be in my final year and he will be starting the 1st year. However, this isn't his first time at uni (started 2 courses and ended up quitting due to a variety of reasons) and so he doesn't get any student loan this academic year.
His parents don't live locally so that rules out living at home and as far as we know our only other option is that he lives with me in my room.
I was just wondering if landlords are generally ok with this. My friends say that they have heard of it happening and one says they are living with a couple next year they just have to pay a little extra for utilities.

Anyway we are kind of worried in case he can't find anywhere. He does have a part time job which he can use to chip in for stuff if he lived with me but it's not enough to rent his own separate room.
Thanks.
Original post by LittleEskimo
Hey there

So my boyfriend and I are hoping to try and find somewhere to live this September. I will be in my final year and he will be starting the 1st year. However, this isn't his first time at uni (started 2 courses and ended up quitting due to a variety of reasons) and so he doesn't get any student loan this academic year.
His parents don't live locally so that rules out living at home and as far as we know our only other option is that he lives with me in my room.
I was just wondering if landlords are generally ok with this. My friends say that they have heard of it happening and one says they are living with a couple next year they just have to pay a little extra for utilities.

Anyway we are kind of worried in case he can't find anywhere. He does have a part time job which he can use to chip in for stuff if he lived with me but it's not enough to rent his own separate room.
Thanks.

Consult your landlord. They would almost certainly not be happy if they found that he was living there and they didn't know about it. Don't make it sound like you're saying 'he's going to live there, hope that's okay with you' - rather, ask them how they would feel if your boyfriend were to live with you in your room.
Hey there

Thanks.

If he had extenuating circumstances and has evidence of this he can claim back a year of student finance. On the house front, I've known a couple to live together in one room so it isn't impossible. The best thing you can do though is being honest about your intentions- both to any potential landlords and potential housemates.
My experience is that a lot of landlords aren't too happy with this sort of thing, I think it just adds an extra difficulty (e.g. a different contract, another person to default on rent, what happens if you break up, another potential flatmate conflict). You should just talk to some (and your friends) before you decide on anything, I'm sure you can find something if your friends are happy to compromise a bit. You should be very careful about not upsetting your flatmates though, living with a couple can be awkward.
Hey there

Thanks.

This is relatively common but you will need to make sure your landlord is aware. You may also want to consider what would happen if you broke up and if you can cope with having very little personal space.

I'm moving to live with a couple this year but we will all have separate rooms. They currently live in a 1 bed house and they were both pretty miserable as they felt they had no space to themselves. I previously lived with a partner who turned into an ex between signing the lease and moving in! Luckily we had separate rooms and lived together quite happily.

That ex now shares a room with a girlfriend in a 5 bed house, but she took the smallest room in the house as hers so 1) she has somewhere to go if they break up, 2) she has personal space and 3) if you take a tiny box room you can usually convince the other flatmates to pay a higher fraction of the rent. It also means they have a guest room which is pretty handy!

3 bed houses often have one much smaller room so if you can find a friend to share that might be a good option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending