The Student Room Group

Rearranging Modules to get an A* in Maths and Further Maths (Edexcel)

I know that the modules will be arranged to maximise your result (and prioritise maths) but after completely screwing up M4 I just want to see where I'm at.

From what I know, to get an A* in maths you need an A overall (480 UMS) and an average of 90 in C3 and C4. Presuming you have at least an A at AS (more than 240 UMS) then am I right in saying that the minimum you need in the A2 applied module is 60UMS? (As you will need 90+ UMS anyway in C3 and C4)

And for futher maths it's an average of 90 across your best 3 A2 Further maths modules. Do these 3 A2 further maths modules have to include both FP2 and FP3?

Could M4 be the applied module for straight maths?
And could somebody check if this a possible arrangement?

Maths - C1, C2, M1, C3, C4, M4
Further Maths - FP1, S1, M2, FP2, FP3, M3

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by James Hp
From what I know, to get an A* in maths you need an A overall (480 UMS) and an average of 90 in C3 and C4. Presuming you have at least an A at AS (more than 240 UMS) then am I right in saying that the minimum you need in the A2 applied module is 60UMS? (As you will need 90+ UMS anyway in C3 and C4)

Yes.

And for futher maths it's an average of 90 across your best 3 A2 Further maths modules. Do these 3 A2 further maths modules have to include both FP2 and FP3?
No.
Could M4 be the applied module for straight maths?
No. You can only have Unit 1s, or a matched pair of 1 and 2 (e.g. M1 and M2)
And could somebody check if this a possible arrangement?Maths - C1, C2, M1, C3, C4, M4Further Maths - FP1, S1, M2, FP2, FP3, M3

No. Your Maths applied units would have to be S1 and M1 or M1 and M2.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost

No. Your Maths applied units would have to be S1 and M1 or M1 and M2.

Ok thanks. So would it be fine to put M3 with Further Maths? Something like this - even though I wouldn't have done M3 at AS level

Maths - C1, C2, M1, C3, C4, S1
Further Maths - FP1, M2, M3, FP2, FP3, M4
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Ok thanks. So would it be fine to put M3 with Further Maths? Something like this.

Maths - C1, C2, M1, C3, C4, S1
Further Maths - FP1, M2, M3, FP2, FP3, M4

That looks fine - and leaves you 5 choices for the 3 units that need to total at least 270UMS.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
That looks fine - and leaves you 5 choices for the 3 units that need to total at least 270UMS.

Great thanks!. Although I am a bit confused though since I've heard several times that M3 or M4 could be with straight maths - either way though I have something that works. :smile:
Reply 5
Great thanks!. Although I am a bit confused though since I've heard several times that M3 or M4 could be with straight maths - either way though I have something that works. :smile:

If you really want to check then the rules (common to AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC) are all here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
If you really want to check then the rules (common to AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC) are all here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres

Ah ok, guess that clears it up.
For the edexcel further maths A2 what is required for an A*. I am doing M2, M3, M4, S2, FP1, FP2, FP3. Do you have to get an average of over 90% in your best 3 A2 modules and must this include either FP2 or FP3 or could it just be M2 M3 and M4 for example??
Reply 8
Original post by federer98
For the edexcel further maths A2 what is required for an A*. Do you have to get an average of over 90% in your best 3 A2 modules

Yes. You need at least 480 UMS overall and at least 270 in your best 3 A2 units used in FM. Nothing else matters.
If my exams offucer contacted my exam today about rearranging my units how long should I expect to wait until I know if it has been successful in improving my fruther maths grade?
Original post by Stokeyhawkins
If my exams offucer contacted my exam today about rearranging my units how long should I expect to wait until I know if it has been successful in improving my fruther maths grade?

At this time of year these sort of queries are normally resolved in 1-2 days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending