The Student Room Group

How did you find the EDEXCEL S1 exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tazza ma razza
I took a gap year to resit this along with A2 further maths - got 81 in 2014 and think i only got 85-89 this time when i needed 90+ :s-smilie:

The only universities that want 90+ is Oxbridge. And if they weren't lenient with you on this then it's not the sort of place you want to go to.

The people who complain about A levels being too easy nowadays are clueless toffs envious of us because they grew up in a time without the internet.
If I were to carry on maths with 177/225 in C1, C2 and S1 combined, is it likely I could still get an A?
Reply 22
I think i got 101% so easy
Original post by habeeb o lla
so does it mean if i get 70 , then my percentage will be 90?

No, UMS will increase, if 71 was actually to be 100 and you got 70 that'd be about 88 or 89 UMS
It went better than I expected to be honest. A few questions I thought a little tricky initially but I just about got them all done.
Reply 25
Based on this poll, my predictions are:

68 - A* (90 UMS)
62 - A (80 UMS)
55 - B (70 UMS)
49 - C (60 UMS)
43 - D (50 UMS)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hey111
The only universities that want 90+ is Oxbridge. And if they weren't lenient with you on this then it's not the sort of place you want to go to.

The people who complain about A levels being too easy nowadays are clueless toffs envious of us because they grew up in a time without the internet.

Last year's s3 paper tore me a new ******* NGL - so I am chasing UMS. It's calm - Durham gave me an unconditional and my firm is Warwick
Original post by edothero

68 - A* (90 UMS)
62 - A (80 UMS)
55 - B (70 UMS)
49 - C (60 UMS)
43 - D (50 UMS)

I'd say a good 3 or 4 marks lower. 62 would seem to suggest that this was easier than last year's and the year before and silly mistakes tends to bring grade boundaries down.

66 - 90 UMS
59 - 80 UMS
52 - 70 UMS
45 - 60 UMS
38 - 50 UMS

Personally I think it's gonna be a bit less than this. Last year's poll showed that most members found the 2015 paper okay/easy. This year it seems to be between okay/hard and most people were expecting 62ish last year so I wouldn't be surprised if grade boundaries are lower.
(edited 7 years ago)
kinda easy not even gonna hype it, some questions were weird but thats about it.
Original post by Hey111

Actually it's only Cambridge. Oxford don't do AS unless you specifically put them on your application!
Original post by edothero

68 - A* (90 UMS)
62 - A (80 UMS)
55 - B (70 UMS)
49 - C (60 UMS)
43 - D (50 UMS)

no way dude, this was harder than 2015
The paper as a whole was alright, slightly harder than last years one, but I'm resitting as last year i got an E for it (42 UMS hahaha). I made a few silly mistakes but I think the worst case scenario is around 65 UMS for this with me mostly likely getting around 75ish UMS but I should've got 90+ (went to sleep when it was daylight lol). I only need to average 63 UMS across S1 and S2 to get an A* for Maths anyway so life is still good even if I get the worse case for S1 as S2 is far easier than S1.

My predicted grade boundaries are
71 = 100 UMS
64 = 90 UMS
57 = 80 UMS
50/49 = 70 UMS
43 = 60 UMS
37 = 50 UMS
If it is not this, then I think the boundaries will be lower than what I have predicted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
That paper was very tricky in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arsey
That paper was very tricky in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How hard? What would you guess as 100 UMS?
Personally I thought this paper was particularly easy, more like the standard of a paper from the beginning of the specification. There wasn't anything particularly rough about this and I felt that other papers in this series have been tougher in comparison to previous years.
Original post by Astrtricks
Personally I thought this paper was particularly easy, more like the standard of a paper from the beginning of the specification. There wasn't anything particularly rough about this and I felt that other papers in this series have been tougher in comparison to previous years.

I legit think it was the hardest S1 paper I've ever done (and this is coming from someone who still thinks he got 70+). What papers were harder?
Original post by CaiusMartius
I legit think it was the hardest S1 paper I've ever done (and this is coming from someone who still thinks he got 70+). What papers were harder?

I personally think that 2015 and one of the 2013 papers were harder but I still think that out of all the modules excluding d1 and d2 s1 is the easiest. I just don't think there are that many variations of questions that can be asked the only thing which was slightly odd was one of the worded questions on the first page and asking you to show the value of Syy with variance and E(x).
I personally think that 2015 and one of the 2013 papers were harder but I still think that out of all the modules excluding d1 and d2 s1 is the easiest. I just don't think there are that many variations of questions that can be asked the only thing which was slightly odd was one of the worded questions on the first page and asking you to show the value of Syy with variance and E(x).

Nah the 2015 one was way easier than this imo! The probability was very difficult to get your head around I thought personally, and there was horrible amount of written questions :frown:

Glad to have gotten S1 out of the way, only M2 left to go :biggrin:

I honestly found this the hardest s1 paper I've ever seen, including International ones. What papers were harder??????
Original post by CaiusMartius
Nah the 2015 one was way easier than this imo! The probability was very difficult to get your head around I thought personally, and there was horrible amount of written questions :frown:

Glad to have gotten S1 out of the way, only M2 left to go :biggrin:

Even if it is the hardest S1 exam i I find it difficult to believe that people do worse in this than in other units like FP1 or M1/2.

Good luck! I have D2 but its 2 weeks away which is really frustrating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending