The Student Room Group

Revision for WJEC English Literature A2 exam: help!!

So my English lit exam is in a couple of weeks and I'm still really struggling to remember everything I need to know! I was wondering how any of my fellow literature students are revising because when it comes to English subjects I find it so much harder to revise than subjects where there is a set syllabus like law especially considering this is a closed book exam *eek!* I'm doing WJEC's Poetry and Drama exam on Shakespeare's Measure for Measure/ Webster's Duchess of Malfi and William Blake's 'Songs of Innocence & Experience' poems . Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Oh wow, I did that exam last year.. Was the bane of my sixth form career, it was hideously unbalanced (aka too difficult) compared to the rest of my A2 exams. In fact, its that controversial, theres a new specification for A level being taught from this year, and the A2 exam has been toned down , I'm sure.

PM me if you'd like to talk or need some more help or tips with anything relating to this exam. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
If you have any Blake theme predictions let me know! I hate the closed book element, I've learned so many poems I'd get more marks for an actual recital :/
I did Blake. :smile: I actually loved him, how the songs of innocence basically showed heaven, but then the songs of experience showed the same things but suddenly in hell.

I can't actually predict anything, see, this is the really shitty part of the exam, see, the poetry part is, in reality, LUCK BASED.

This has to do with the fact that

1-, The unseen poems don't explicitly have Blake in mind, you have to find a link yourself, if there is any

2-All the questions similar also aren't written with Blake in mind, they ask vague generic ones that "fit" all the texts in the specification.

I know it sucks, I actually got really lucky thank god in the real thing, got to link Blakes London with one of the unseens, fit perfectly. But that was luck.

I agree with you, see, the closed book part is harsh. At AS you could take both books in with you to the exam, so why not here? It adds so much stress. I think Blake is actually easier though.

It's the drama that's BAD. Because the questions are phrased so horribly. I do not miss comparing The tempest to Dr Faustus at all. Both plays were too long and memorising all the quotes were hard. I was very happy to finish with a B.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm doing Lear/Oedipus and Blake, I've left revision a little late for this (concentrating on Maths and Physics) so I'm playing catch up.

For Blake I've been trying to select as few poems as possible to cover the most ground (at the moment it's Tyger/Lamb, Pretty Rose Tree/Sick Rose, and both of the Chimney-sweepers), these seem to cover most themes (I also considered School Boy, Little Black Boy, Holy Thursday, London, both Introductions and Human Abstract/Divine Image and I may still learn a quote here or there from these). I'm predicting childhood (or something easily relatable) will come uo.

I've attached a spreadsheet of the Poetry questions and what the mark scheme says in regards to Blake.

In the exam, for both essays, I'm planning to make three points (plus an introduction and conclusion) with approximately 15 quotes, 5 pieces of expanded on critic, 6 links, and 6 reference to context. Do you think this will be sufficient (I need a B to achieve an A overall, or an E to achieve a B overall)?
I am doing the same course: Blake, Measure and Malfi. Blake I can do (A in my latest essay) but the plays I cannot. We've been taught not to 'analyse' like we do in Blake, which is usually my basis of thought (how I actually do the english) is void for this part of the exam. I can readily recall/link aspects of the plays to relevant themes i.e the Duke 'appears' to be a Friar but in 'reality' plays a Machiavellian trick on Angelo (and the other characters), such was a question last year. However, this 'stating' is not enough: being 'critical' is, apparently, what I must do. Even then, do I question how is a theme included in a play, how successful that theme is played out by the characters or something else? My understanding becomes especially ambiguous when it is a one worded theme- e.g 'duty'- rather than something to actually argue against, such as 'Absolute power corrupts absolutely'. Teachers do not help.
Help me!!
(edited 7 years ago)
hi for blake I am just learning six poems that can link in to a variety of themes. From what I have seen it doesn't really matter too much about what comes up as you can normally link it to whatever you want. I say this but I hope something on political ideas or contrast comes up as a question. My teacher has told us the best way to do the exam is to have a sort of checklist as you write a paragraph to see if you have included all the AOS to make it obvious to the examiner that you know your stuff! xx
Hey!

So the English Lit exam is on Friday and I've just been on the WJEC website and looked at the spec, it says in the A2 section that the poetry section on the exam is open book, however I've been told by my teacher that the whole exam is closed book. Can anyone help? Have I misunderstood something? Here's the link to what I read (its page 12).
http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/english/english-literature-gce-a-as/wjec-gce-english-lit-spec-from-2015.pdf?language_id=1&dotcache=no&dotcache=refresh

Thanks in advance.
Original post by idontevenknowY
Hey!

So the English Lit exam is on Friday and I've just been on the WJEC website and looked at the spec, it says in the A2 section that the poetry section on the exam is open book, however I've been told by my teacher that the whole exam is closed book. Can anyone help? Have I misunderstood something? Here's the link to what I read (its page 12).
http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/english/english-literature-gce-a-as/wjec-gce-english-lit-spec-from-2015.pdf?language_id=1&dotcache=no&dotcache=refresh

Thanks in advance.

It's a closed book exam so you need to know your quotes by heart!
Reply 9
Original post by Annemariexx
hi for blake I am just learning six poems that can link in to a variety of themes. From what I have seen it doesn't really matter too much about what comes up as you can normally link it to whatever you want. I say this but I hope something on political ideas or contrast comes up as a question. My teacher has told us the best way to do the exam is to have a sort of checklist as you write a paragraph to see if you have included all the AOS to make it obvious to the examiner that you know your stuff! xx

Good idea! Which poems did you chose?
Original post by AHC25
Good idea! Which poems did you chose?

I am definitely revising the two holy Thursdays, because they are really good for questions on imagery, simplicity, politics, society, children or religion. And then I am looking at Echoing Green and London (London is really good for context) and the then little boy lost and little boy found from innocence. What ones are you focussing on?
The exam is the day after tomorrow and I am freaking out soo much right now. Is it necessary to know all of Blake's poems off by heart or can I get away with a few?????
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
I am definitely revising the two holy Thursdays, because they are really good for questions on imagery, simplicity, politics, society, children or religion. And then I am looking at Echoing Green and London (London is really good for context) and the then little boy lost and little boy found from innocence. What ones are you focussing on?

Ahh nice! I haven't done a couple of those but I'm focusing on both Nurses Songs, both Holy Thursdays, both Chimney Sweepers, London, the Lamb, The Tiger, The Little Vagabond, The Garden of Love, The Schoolboy and the Sick Rose (maybe a couple of others too...) ((Obviously I'm not doing what you're doing but your way makes 100% more sense!)) :wink:
Reply 13
How many poems per essay is everyone aiming for? I'm trying to do 2/3 with a couple snippets of others..
Original post by AHC25
Ahh nice! I haven't done a couple of those but I'm focusing on both Nurses Songs, both Holy Thursdays, both Chimney Sweepers, London, the Lamb, The Tiger, The Little Vagabond, The Garden of Love, The Schoolboy and the Sick Rose (maybe a couple of others too...) ((Obviously I'm not doing what you're doing but your way makes 100% more sense!)) :wink:

Wow you have done so much, like genuinely that has made me feel like ... honestly all the poems you have under the belt you are going to do amazing! honesty you got this! :smile: (mine isn't sense its mainly focusing on one exam far more than any others and then realising that English should have been focussed on a bit more)
Original post by Nifeylolaxo
The exam is the day after tomorrow and I am freaking out soo much right now. Is it necessary to know all of Blake's poems off by heart or can I get away with a few?????

hey only learning 6, if your panicked try and find two poems that go into almost all the themes you can think of, my go to is Holy Thursdays and London vs Echoing Green, hope this helps xx
Reply 16
Wow you have done so much, like genuinely that has made me feel like ... honestly all the poems you have under the belt you are going to do amazing! honesty you got this! :smile: (mine isn't sense its mainly focusing on one exam far more than any others and then realising that English should have been focussed on a bit more)

Ahh thank you so much! I haven't learnt them all off by heart though! Just key quotes etc. And I know what you mean! I did that last year and it didn't end very well so I'm revising a bit harder this year!
Reply 17
Original post by shaylux
How many poems per essay is everyone aiming for? I'm trying to do 2/3 with a couple snippets of others..

I'm doing 4 but that's what my college has told everyone to do! I think 3 would definitely be enough though!
Original post by AHC25
Ahh thank you so much! I haven't learnt them all off by heart though! Just key quotes etc. And I know what you mean! I did that last year and it didn't end very well so I'm revising a bit harder this year!

See that expression learn from your mistakes... didn't seem to happen to me :wink: Good luck for the exam hope it goes well for you!
Reply 19
See that expression learn from your mistakes... didn't seem to happen to me :wink: Good luck for the exam hope it goes well for you!

Ahh well you never know! :wink: And thank you! You too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending