The Student Room Group

A2 Government and Politics AQA predictions 3a/4a?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zzinah
separation of powers and limited government maybe for constitution?

SOP was last year so I'd say no to that coming up again. Limited gov. came up in 2012 so maybe, but federalism and effectiveness of Constitution are more likely
Reply 81
Original post by Roofswinger
SOP was last year so I'd say no to that coming up again. Limited gov. came up in 2012 so maybe, but federalism and effectiveness of Constitution are more likely

Separation of powers was a 10 mark 30 mark was whether it was flexible or not. So maybe a chance of it coming up
Could someone help me out writing a 10 marker for 'Judicial power' and 'Decentralisation/states rights' ? No idea how I'd structure the former and I can't think of enough to write for the latter.
How did you all find it I thought it was quite good the end legislation question should have added more knowledge however I talked about political parties shaping agenda and a rise of partisanship and to counter I said very little importance as congress porkbarrels as they want to be reflected ect more than representing their party ect
Didn't like that at all!

I did constitution and executive. The federalism 10 marker was okay if not very broad, but the separation of powers 30 marker knocked me as I didn't know how to approach it or answer it. The 10 marker on spoils system was weird because I didn't know if they wanted the entire discussion just on the spoils system, or also on the merit system etc., and the 30 marker on presidency being vulnerable was weird - did they want analysis of the influence of the cabinet, congress and EXOP which is what I did (imperial vs imperilled) etc
Original post by olmyster911
Didn't like that at all!

I did constitution and executive. The federalism 10 marker was okay if not very broad, but the separation of powers 30 marker knocked me as I didn't know how to approach it or answer it. The 10 marker on spoils system was weird because I didn't know if they wanted the entire discussion just on the spoils system, or also on the merit system etc., and the 30 marker on presidency being vulnerable was weird - did they want analysis of the influence of the cabinet, congress and EXOP which is what I did (imperial vs imperilled) etc

With that I first defined the terms and compared to the uk and said this induced the idea of checks and balances as the founding fathers intended this I order to make sure no branch was too powerful,
I then talked about how the separation of power causes gridlock and examples I joined it with checks and balances and also said it stopped government from carrying out their agenda examples and spoke about the Supreme Court and because there is a separation of powers it means that amendment is difficult as it has to pass through both houses of congress with super majorities which limits the gov. I talked about a lot of things so can't remember everything's
Original post by Sademajek
With that I first defined the terms and compared to the uk and said this induced the idea of checks and balances as the founding fathers intended this I order to make sure no branch was too powerful,
I then talked about how the separation of power causes gridlock and examples I joined it with checks and balances and also said it stopped government from carrying out their agenda examples and spoke about the Supreme Court and because there is a separation of powers it means that amendment is difficult as it has to pass through both houses of congress with super majorities which limits the gov. I talked about a lot of things so can't remember everything's

I didn't even mention gridlock! :redface:
I didn't even mention gridlock! :redface:

It's fine you didn't have to necessarily mention it to get good marks, if you did really well in another question it will balance out😉
Original post by Sademajek
It's fine you didn't have to necessarily mention it to get good marks, if you did really well in another question it will balance out😉

I didn't do really well in another question - it was all horrible!!
Didn't like that at all!

I had no idea what the spoils system was so I'm not expecting great things for that...:colondollar:

For the 30 mark vulnerability question, didn't you just have to talk about whether or not the president is powerful? I talked about the honeymoon period which make them strong and how easy it is for them to pass their legislation at this point ,but then contrasted with events like hurricane katrina which made bush look vulnerable??
Executive: Spoils system (10) and presidential power (30)
SC: Original Intent (10) and role in protecting rights (30)
Constitution: Federalism/ decentralisation/ states rights (10), and IDK the 30 marker, any suggestions?
Legislature LEaders of the House (10) and maybe role of parties in congress???

I'd never heard of the spoils system so didn't even bother looking it up! Kicking myself now though :biggrin:
I didn't do really well in another question - it was all horrible!!

I'm thinking grade boundaries will be lower for this paper so nothing to worry about!
Original post by basic1996*****
I had no idea what the spoils system was so I'm not expecting great things for that...:colondollar:

For the 30 mark vulnerability question, didn't you just have to talk about whether or not the president is powerful? I talked about the honeymoon period which make them strong and how easy it is for them to pass their legislation at this point ,but then contrasted with events like hurricane katrina which made bush look vulnerable??

Oh no I didn't talk about that at all :redface:

I spoke about EXOP and cabinet and iron triangles etc meaning that he is getting unreliable information and isolated idk if that was relevant to answer the question?? Also spoke about Congress limiting power leading to imperilled presidency following Watergate
I'm thinking grade boundaries will be lower for this paper so nothing to worry about!

Hang on...does UMS move with grade boundaries?! If so, thank god.
Reply 94
thank god i chose to do constitution and SCOTUS, exec and congress looked so hard! anyone else do the same topics? how did you find it
Oh no I didn't talk about that at all :redface:

I spoke about EXOP and cabinet and iron triangles etc meaning that he is getting unreliable information and isolated idk if that was relevant to answer the question?? Also spoke about Congress limiting power leading to imperilled presidency following Watergate

Oh dear, I didn't mention any of that.. Hopefully everyone failed so my grade will average out :biggrin::biggrin:
Executive: Spoils system (10) and presidential power (30)
SC: Original Intent (10) and role in protecting rights (30)
Constitution: Federalism/ decentralisation/ states rights (10), and IDK the 30 marker, any suggestions?
Legislature LEaders of the House (10) and maybe role of parties in congress???

Some amazingly good guesses there
Original post by aash-na
thank god i chose to do constitution and SCOTUS, exec and congress looked so hard! anyone else do the same topics? how did you find it

I did the Supreme Court! The questions weren't too bad for this topic. For the 10 mark 'explain the process of selecting judges and their significance' I spent too long on the explanation and not enough on the significance! But the 30 marker was great! How about you?
Original post by aash-na

Yup, thought the constitution question was great, i just think the 30 marker for legislature was a bit hard couldn't find a lot of things to talk about.
Oh dear, I didn't mention any of that.. Hopefully everyone failed so my grade will average out :biggrin::biggrin:

That's my current feeling :biggrin:

It's a shame I ignored them all seeing as though they're usually wrong :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending