The Student Room Group

C3 Maths A2 AQA 2016 (unofficial mark scheme new)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -jordan-
Nope it isn't wrong, they got you to find that before you even did the second part. Everyone I've spoken to did what we did. If someone can find a valid reason or explanation as to what the actual solution was I'd be grateful.

Maybe because to get the value of cosx, you use both equations, so that value of x gives you one solution to each equation, but doing all that then choosing which solution to use seems an awful lot of work for 3 marks, even by this paper's standards
Original post by freddy4321
Sorry just checking now and 1.3 doesn't get you the correct answer, it gets you 5 instead of -5. I think the only answer is -21.3

Yeah thinks it's safe to say -21.3 is the only solution, hopefully extra solutions wont result in dropped marks
Reply 102
how where you meant to do the whole of question 9
Original post by irMike
For the stationary point, did you get sin x = 2/3? A few people I spoke to got this, and none of us had any clue how this became a root? Had to keep it as a decimal in the end

What I did was sub Sin-1(2/3) into the original equation, which gave me like -2.236... which I noticed was root 5, but negative. So I took a -1 out and it gave root 5, therefore -1root5.
Reply 104
[video="youtube;e6hbHybyKsg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6hbHybyKsg[/video]
This hitler reacts video is the best yet
Reply 105
2) a) show alpha lied between values [2]
b) re-arrange to get into the form x=e(ln5 / x) [3]
c) use iteration thingy where X1 = 2, X3 =2.054 [2]
d) simpsons rule on 5-xx limits of 1.7 to 0.5, 6 strips, answer = 4.49 to 2dp [4]
e) use d) to find approximate for xx which was 1.51 (could someone explain how to do this please) [2]

2)e)
What i did was:
0.2/3 × 90 - Y =4.49
90 is the sum of all the 5 multiplied by the 4 and 2 in simpson rule.
Y is the approximation of the integral of x^x.
Re-arrange to get Y and you get 1.51
What did you have to use for the substitution? Was it u = 4x - 1 ?
Original post by Kedric123
What did you have to use for the substitution? Was it u = 4x - 1 ?

Yep the substitution was 4x-1 not 1-4x as said in the OP.
Wasn't the transformation question e^x to e^(2x-5) instead of e^x to e^(2x+5)
(edited 7 years ago)
For 1c) it asked to find the derivative of ln(1a) where 1a was the original equation in the first part of the question it asked you to find the derivative for.
Guys how many many marks if any do you think i'll get on the integration by parts if my dv/dx=ln3x? i stupidly wrote 1/x^2 = u instead and said v=ln3x/3. I carried this on through into the second part of the integral too so how many marks would i lose there? So frustrated, that cost me a grade or two solely....
looks like i got about 35-40 marks out of 75

completely and utterly heartbroken. i doubt if i did more revision etc i would have even performed any better because most of these questions simply defeated me at one point or another.

what is the problem with setting a specification, having clear general guidelines on what to learn and expect, and presenting this in a challenging yet reachable form in the exam

maybe im just an idiot. but that was just terrible and if they AQA want to change their setup/how things are done, they should do it in the new spec when that's what students are being prepared for.

this is what i get for consistently clocking 80-90% on all previous core papers.
Reply 113
Original post by yellowfan1555
What I did was sub Sin-1(2/3) into the original equation, which gave me like -2.236... which I noticed was root 5, but negative. So I took a -1 out and it gave root 5, therefore -1root5.

you had to use triangles to get tan and sec or the identity formula
Original post by hi-zen-berg
offer is aaa

got 260 ums in AS maths

got around 35-40 raw marks in c3 today i want to f-ing cry

why not make the exam harder in steps over several years

My offer is AAA too. I worked so hard because I know I needed at leat 87 ums to get an A this year, so I did all Aqa all mei (because apparently they're a challenge) and consistently got As. My homework log and test log is just green with 90% and over in each one. I lost at least 30 marks for just not answering the question. And then obviously some more for mistakes.
Even if the grade boundaries are 'low' it directly won't compensate for 30 lost marks.
Reply 115
Original post by Maphec
My offer is AAA too. I worked so hard because I know I needed at leat 87 ums to get an A this year, so I did all Aqa all mei (because apparently they're a challenge) and consistently got As. My homework log and test log is just green with 90% and over in each one. I lost at least 30 marks for just not answering the question. And then obviously some more for mistakes.
Even if the grade boundaries are 'low' it directly won't compensate for 30 lost marks.

AQA have literally ruined chances of most of us getting into out uni. I literally came crying out of the chemistry exam on Tuesday and felt sick/dizzy yesterday from looking at these hard questions.

It's like I wasted 2 years of my life for nothing. Now I need to get high As in C4/D1 to even get a B overall!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 116
Can't wait to see what C4 has in store.. This exam board truly is a joke
Original post by Nish97
AQA have literally ruined chances of most of us getting into out uni. I literally came crying out of the chemistry exam on Tuesday and felt sick/dizzy yesterday from looking at these hard questions.

It's like I wasted 2 years of my life for nothing. Now I need to get high As in C4/D1 to even get a B overall!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is from their website -
Although exam boards aim to always set papers with the same level of difficulty, in practice papers do vary slightly. As it would be unfair for students to get a lower grade just because they sat a more difficult paper, grade boundaries are set for each individual exam.

Are they for real? Do they really thinking going from 65 for an A* to 63 will make this paper fair? So many of us have college proof that we are A grade students, to then get a D isn't fair.
We should all write to Aqa, if one or two do it they won't understand. If all of us, thousand write we might be able to get another paper somehow. Or at least make it completely fair and weigh it differently or drop grade boundaries SIGNIFICANTLY.
Reply 118
Original post by Maphec
This is from their website -
Although exam boards aim to always set papers with the same level of difficulty, in practice papers do vary slightly. As it would be unfair for students to get a lower grade just because they sat a more difficult paper, grade boundaries are set for each individual exam.

Are they for real? Do they really thinking going from 65 for an A* to 63 will make this paper fair? So many of us have college proof that we are A grade students, to then get a D isn't fair.
We should all write to Aqa, if one or two do it they won't understand. If all of us, thousand write we might be able to get another paper somehow. Or at least make it completely fair and weigh it differently or drop grade boundaries SIGNIFICANTLY.

I sent an email 20 mins ago requesting a new paper. If enough people do it....
Original post by Berke0
I sent an email 20 mins ago requesting a new paper. If enough people do it....

I keep trying to find contact details, what did you sent it to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending