The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Accomadation at Durham

Hey all. I am an International student to be studying master at Durham university for 2016/2017 academic year. i have a question. What do you think is a better option , renting a room at a college or renting a place outside Durham in the Durham city from all aspects ?
Many thanks in advance for your answers
Reply 1
Original post by DNA89
Hey all. I am an International student to be studying master at Durham university for 2016/2017 academic year. i have a question. What do you think is a better option , renting a room at a college or renting a place outside Durham in the Durham city from all aspects ?
Many thanks in advance for your answers

If you get out of school grounds accommodation, you'll feel less included and miss out on events, if you get college accommodation you'll be closer to where you will study. Also, staying in a college accommodation will mean that youll make a lot more friends quicker. I believe that you can also choose in your second year to live in your own accommodation, so you can have your own feel for living on your own then, but if you don't like it move back in the 3rd year .
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Many thanks dear. I am a master's student and it is only for one year so I may not have the options you have mentioned but I agree with the inclusion thing. I have been living on my own from a very young age and not easy for me to be sleeping/staying with many others around but then I also want to have the real student experience at Durham. Thanks for your advice .
I've made the decision to stay in halls, just to make sure I meet new people and also for the experience. I just hope I fit in, I'm a mature student (I'm 23). Its exciting stuff!
Original post by LozzaCozza
I've made the decision to stay in halls, just to make sure I meet new people and also for the experience. I just hope I fit in, I'm a mature student (I'm 23). Its exciting stuff!

It is great indeed to know more people and diverse backgrounds. Yet this is not only aspect of the question, would love to hear about financial costs or other aspects that I may have missed. Thanks for your comment.
Original post by DNA89
It is great indeed to know more people and diverse backgrounds. Yet this is not only aspect of the question, would love to hear about financial costs or other aspects that I may have missed. Thanks for your comment.
The student accomodation at Butler college where I have been assigned is £110 a week, all bills and a cleaner included. You can get cheaper digs than that elsewhere.
The student accomodation at Butler college where I have been assigned is £110 a week, all bills and a cleaner included. You can get cheaper digs than that elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing this info. That is a decent price.
Reply 7

Hi! I'm 23 and going to study at Durham this fall. How did it go? I'm really excited:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending