The Student Room Group

Edexcel s1 June 2016 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GarlicBread01
I said mean stays the same and then gave an explanation that this was because the new value was equal to the mean. I said that s.d would stay the same as it is 0 deviations above the mean (I know this part is wrong) How many marks would I get it? The question was out of 3

I think you'll get one mark for that answer.

I'm guessing the mark scheme would be 1 mark for the mean staying the same.

1 mark for the standard deviation changing and 1 mark for the reason which I think is that the standard deviation looks at the spread of data.

Original post by youreanutter
will anybody be getting hold of the paper and doing worked solutions

I highly doubt it. :frown:

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
can someone reply to me with the model answers similar in the format of a exam paper. Like how some are done for other modules.

Lmao bless you!

Spoiler

Original post by Zakariya121
I reckon 55 for an A

In my dreams.

Original post by veldt127
On the topic of the mean-If you put the new value, 3.43, into the table and work out a new mean, the longer way, the mean would decrease. However a better way would be to combine means, which would keep it the same.I would imagine Edexcel would allow either as you can reason it either way, but this way makes more sense.

That's for combining the mean though. I thought we were asked what will happen to the mean if one value had been added into the observations, not combining two different means. :dontknow:
I got the numbers for p + q wrong in the sarah and rebecca question, i have no clue how, will I get error carried forward, or method marks for the rest? I know my method are right but obviously the answers will be wrong :frown:
Original post by Bijaybhattta
Rebecca and Sarah answers are wrng its 0.465 and 0.4..sthng

How do you know? Or just hoping because I got the same 0.465 and 0.450
I messed up big time. I read the whole 1/X thing as 1 over the probability rather than the x values. Damn I though because it was a capital x it meant probability.
Reply 184
Original post by Youraveragepleb
Arsey where are you?

Arsey commented on the other thread saying that he found the paper quite difficult too and he thinks grade boundaries will be lowerr
That gave me hope lol
Original post by SimonGregor
I messed up big time. I read the whole 1/X thing as 1 over the probability rather than the x values. Damn I though because it was a capital x it meant probability.

Same here, will we get any marks at all for this?
Reply 186
It was 0 because everyone that booked breakfast had booked a room
does no one have the paper?
anyone remember question 6b word for word and can do a worked solution , i got 200 and something but cant remember if it was 203 or 206 !!
Reply 189
For question 2, rebecca and Sarah's chance of winning, was the number picked once or did each get a number separately?
Reply 190
Original post by Katieramsay

LOL same, it was the fact that we didnt read the question properly. The number selected from the generator is the number used for both S=X and R=1/X
Was the standard deviation not 5?
Original post by veldt127
It was a normal distribution with mean 3.43 and a standard deviation I can't quite remember - sorry! But standardising (3-3.43)/s.d. gave a z value with p(Z<z) of 0.2546

Was the standard deviation not 5? Then how do you do it?
Original post by Suat
LOL same, it was the fact that we didnt read the question properly. The number selected from the generator is the number used for both S=X and R=1/X

Do you have the exact question? 😂😂
Original post by Katieramsay

same i got 0.450 for sarah winning and then did 1-(P(sarah won)+P(draw) =P(rebecca won) so i dont know where i couldve gone wrong but noone really seems to have these answers :/
Need help! please for question 6b was the mean - 240 and the S.D - 40???? if it was will a answer of 206.4 give me the 3 marks.
anyone have a photocopy of the paper
Original post by Mikedude
What ums are u likely to get for 64/75?

82-86 depending on boundaries.
Original post by Person18
82-86 depending on boundaries.

Haha no. 64 will be like 88.

Quick Reply