The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by um.
Anyone accepted into Charles university in Hradec kralove for Sept 2016?

Hey!!yes :smile: But I'm trying other faculties as well...not sure yet
Reply 2
Original post by Shakthi03
Hey!!yes :smile: But I'm trying other faculties as well...not sure yet

ah alrite! All the best. I'm joining the dentistry program. :smile:
Great! Me for med:smile:
Thank you so much and very Good luck to you too!
You'll surely be joining HK is it?
Reply 4
Hello, I'm a student in HK, open for any questions if you need help..
Original post by MedGTL

Hello :smile: That's Great news!!! Please may I know if you are a med student ?
Reply 6
Original post by Shakthi03
Hello :smile: That's Great news!!! Please may I know if you are a med student ?

Yes 3rd yr
Reply 7
Original post by MedGTL
Yes 3rd yr

Hi there! I'll be joining 1st year dentistry in Sept. Just waiting on getting a visa. Any advice you'd have would be much appreciated! Also are you living privately or in the dorms? I've heard most students opt to rent close to the faculty.
Original post by MedGTL
Yes 3rd yr

Yeah it'll be good if you share your experiences and any useful tips about the uni:smile:
Reply 9
Sure, I know it can be a big step coming over here to study! I've personally not stayed in dorms, I've not heard good things and a lot of people who start off there usually end up moving out. I stay privately in a flat not far from the uni that I got through a student agency. There's two agency's that can help you get a flat, one is called foreigners and the other forstudents. I've been with both, and I personally prefer foreigners, many students have complained about forstudents but I won't go into that right now.
About the course and studying, yes it's tough, especially the first two years as you're trying to get used to the system etc. You'll have a lot of tests throughout the semester, then a credit at the end before sitting a final exam. But the good thing here is that students help each other out. There's lots of notes, past papers etc and advice from upper years to help you get through the years.
Hope that helps a little, feel free to ask any more questions.
Reply 10
Thank you so much for sharing all that. Also are there a lot of Muslim students? If so are they treated any different in uni and in the town? How's life in Hradec Kralove?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Yes there are quite a few muslim students. To be pretty honest, I've found Czech people in HK are a little...err...how can I put it...distant towards foreigners/students, or maybe I should say not very receptive, and maybe that could be because I have darker skin colour. There is some unfairness in the university, and it depends on the who your lecturer is, what mood they are in etc. I try not to think about whether this is directed at certain people or not but you will wonder at times why you failed an exam (failing is not uncommon). There's probably a lot more i could say, but I don't want to scare you or put you off.
Other than that, HK itself is a small town, really easy to get around, find stuff, and beautiful.
Reply 12
Original post by MedGTL
Sure, I know it can be a big step coming over here to study! I've personally not stayed in dorms, I've not heard good things and a lot of people who start off there usually end up moving out. I stay privately in a flat not far from the uni that I got through a student agency. There's two agency's that can help you get a flat, one is called foreigners and the other forstudents. I've been with both, and I personally prefer foreigners, many students have complained about forstudents but I won't go into that right now.
About the course and studying, yes it's tough, especially the first two years as you're trying to get used to the system etc. You'll have a lot of tests throughout the semester, then a credit at the end before sitting a final exam. But the good thing here is that students help each other out. There's lots of notes, past papers etc and advice from upper years to help you get through the years.
Hope that helps a little, feel free to ask any more questions.

I'm also a student in HK and I couldn't agree more about forstudents, they are really nice at the start but then don't really care once they've got your money. The owners also linked to the uni as she used to work there before and stuff you do socially gets translated to the uni and works against you. This has happened to a lot of students. Also heard many unpleasant things said to students from them. I'd stay well away! Sorry I know you didn't want to go into detail about this, but it's only right for prospective students to know about this and not get cheated!!
Reply 13
Original post by MedGTL
Yes there are quite a few muslim students. To be pretty honest, I've found Czech people in HK are a little...err...how can I put it...distant towards foreigners/students, or maybe I should say not very receptive, and maybe that could be because I have darker skin colour. There is some unfairness in the university, and it depends on the who your lecturer is, what mood they are in etc. I try not to think about whether this is directed at certain people or not but you will wonder at times why you failed an exam (failing is not uncommon). There's probably a lot more i could say, but I don't want to scare you or put you off.
Other than that, HK itself is a small town, really easy to get around, find stuff, and beautiful.

Wow I'm quite surprised hearing about discrimination from lecturers. I mean I'd expect people of the town but professors having such an attitude and failing students on such basis is really saddening tbh.
Could you tell me about what's the process if you fail a paper or course? Since you said it isn't uncommon have they made the retaking process easy? (You're helping out quite a lot and mentally preparing me for which I'm really thankful btw)
Reply 14
Original post by DrPJ
I'm also a student in HK and I couldn't agree more about forstudents, they are really nice at the start but then don't really care once they've got your money. The owners also linked to the uni as she used to work there before and stuff you do socially gets translated to the uni and works against you. This has happened to a lot of students. Also heard many unpleasant things said to students from them. I'd stay well away! Sorry I know you didn't want to go into detail about this, but it's only right for prospective students to know about this and not get cheated!!

Thank you so much, I'll be sure to keep away from them. :smile:
Reply 15
Yes didn't want to scare you but I guess DrPJ is right, better to warn you about a corrupt agency or the situation so you don't get a shock once you're here.
You get 3 chances for a final exam (most are oral exams), if you fail them then the subject becomes a repeat. So they give you chances, but you really don't want that otherwise it can have an effect on other exams.
I'm starting in September too and i was wondering what the course was like? Are the first 3 year mainly theory? Do you get any clinical time in first year? And how is the general life there in Hradec?
Reply 17
Original post by MedGTL

Hey I had a question regarding fee payment. Can it be payed on monthly basis? Or semester wise? Or does Charles Uni only accept one cheque for the full academic year at the start of the term?
Original post by MedGTL

Hi
im gonna do the entrance exam for charles university in hradec kralove and im finding the exam topics quite difficult. Do you have any effective revision methods or tips so i can learn the topics. Most of the content is outside of my A-level syllabus thats why im quite worried about the exam.
Theres also gonna be an interview , i just wanted to know if its one-to-one?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Reply 19
Hi , I have been admitted for undergraduate med in HK, I have heard that Hk is the toughest out of all other faculties, can you offer some advice on study methods, and also I have question regarding the teaching methods, are the lecturers great or you have to rely on yourself, and do we have patient contact during the first 2 years?
Thank you :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending