The Student Room Group

Official Thread: OCR MEI S2/M1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Well correlation is monotonic, but monotonic does not mean correlated. Correlation is only linear association as said at the bottom of page 3 "There is correlation between the variables if the association is linear".

So an exponential or logarithmic association is monotonic but is not correlation.

I'm currently scanning the textbook to see if it mentions this word.

Would be absurd to test on something not in the textbook
Well correlation is monotonic, but monotonic does not mean correlated. Correlation is only linear association as said at the bottom of page 3 "There is correlation between the variables if the association is linear".

So an exponential or logarithmic association is monotonic but is not correlation.

I see no mention of it in the textbook. The word monotonic is not used in the whole of the Bivariate Data section. I'm not sure what to think now.
Reply 162
If we get answers that differ by 1 number due to rounding how many marks would we lose also does everyone reckon it would be lower than last years boundaries of 65
Original post by 11234
If we get answers that differ by 1 number due to rounding how many marks would we lose also does everyone reckon it would be lower than last years boundaries of 65

What do you mean, like the difference between 0.4567 and 0.4568 for example?

I reckon boundaries will be higher. Was very similar to last year, a little easier in some aspects. The hardest part (i.e the part that I reckon most people lost marks on) was the last part, which was in last years paper and therefore more people would've been prepared for it.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I see no mention of it in the textbook. The word monotonic is not used in the whole of the Bivariate Data section. I'm not sure what to think now.

idk but the document that this is all from (http://www.mei.org.uk/files/pdf/spearmanrcc.pdf) is from the MEI website and written by MEI.
Did anyone reject h0 for the rank test and the 11 marker, and accept h0 for the chi squared test?
idk but the document that this is all from (http://www.mei.org.uk/files/pdf/spearmanrcc.pdf) is from the MEI website and written by MEI.

I'm not denying that. But it's the only source of this information. And I see no way of accessing this document from their resources website.

It doesn't mention it in any past papers.

It doesn't mention it in the textbook.

It doesn't mention in on Integral Maths.

The FSMP videos don't mentions it.

It's nowhere to be found, but we've been tested on it. Just saying :smile:

Original post by groovy_q
Did anyone reject h0 for the rank test and the 11 marker, and accept h0 for the chi squared test?

They're all accept H0 except the last question (the standard deviation normal one)
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I'm not denying that. But it's the only source of this information. And I see no way of accessing this document from their resources website.

It doesn't mention it in any past papers.

It doesn't mention it in the textbook.

It doesn't mention in on Integral Maths.

The FSMP videos don't mentions it.

It's nowhere to be found, but we've been tested on it. Just saying :smile:

They're all accept H0 except the last question (the standard deviation normal one)

The rank test gave a value less than the crit value, which surely is significant since youre testing if there is negative correlation?
Does anyone remember the sum of x, sum of x^2 and the mean from Question 4b?

Kinda wanna remind myself on my steps lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how many marks the unknown sigma and mean question was?
Original post by Leechayy
Does anyone remember the sum of x, sum of x^2 and the mean from Question 4b?

Kinda wanna remind myself on my steps lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sum of x was 373 iirc, not completely sure on sum of x^2
Any thoughts on grade boundaries?
Reply 172
I don't remember much of the paper... Only that I almost forgot the continuity correction :hide: and that the last part of question 4 took a while.
I'm really annoyed that they have taken lots of teh chi-squared stuff out because I love doing that.
Original post by Aph
I don't remember much of the paper... Only that I almost forgot the continuity correction :hide: and that the last part of question 4 took a while.
I'm really annoyed that they have taken lots of teh chi-squared stuff out because I love doing that.

I know the feeling :redface:
Left the exam feeling really good, no doubts at all.
12hrs later I've forgotten the paper's contents and now I think I've bodged up:mmm:

I'm such a casual:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Astrocyte
Any thoughts on grade boundaries?

same as last years if not one mark higher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 175
Original post by HFancy1997

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd like to think it'll be closer to 2012 boundries. Last year there was no room for error because the marks were so close together up at the top...
Original post by HFancy1997

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I was kind of hoping they'd be a little lower... :argh:
Dunno if this'll help you guys out but...
:top::tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 178
Original post by Leechayy
Dunno if this'll help you guys out but...
:top::tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ummmmmmm how did you get that?
Our college low-key taken a bunch of the new papers so we've got like the majority of the 2016 papers already done..

Why they did that I have no idea..:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending