The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan to ban "body shaming" adverts from London Transport

Scroll to see replies

Original post by booksandcats
i swear every thread always seems to have muslims/islam involved??!!

Its currently fashionable to hate them and is rapidly becoming acceptable to do so, that's why you see these threads every day. Its vile, and most of the right wing parade don't have more than 2 brain cells to rub together to work out that muslims aren't the root cause of the problem.
Reply 81
Original post by Themini
Oh shut up lol..You and I both know we wouldn't be having this argument if Sadiq Khan was white or Christian.

Wrong. People debated of this on TSR before Khan was elected and some were already annoyed by the SJW crowd asking to ban this advert.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 82
Is this "body shaming" now a code name for covering up woman from public, like they do in Islamic countries?
Reply 83
Original post by slaven
Is this "body shaming" now a code name for covering up woman from public, like they do in Islamic countries?

Let's say that you have several people wanting the same thing. SJWs and Muslims. As they both voted for him, he has to please his electorate.

It's however not a good decision to refuse money for the Underground when you want to freeze the fares. Ah politics... :rolleyes:
Reply 84
Original post by Josb
Let's say that you have several people wanting the same thing. SJWs and Muslims. As they both voted for him, he has to please his electorate.

It's however not a good decision to refuse money for the Underground when you want to freeze the fares. Ah politics... :rolleyes:

Well since the Londoners choosed to turn their city into hellholes, also basicallly into Afganistan 2,0. There is nothing what can be done.

The only good sign is that Sadiq won the election with a narrow majority.
Original post by Themini
Its currently fashionable to hate them and is rapidly becoming acceptable to do so, that's why you see these threads every day. Its vile, and most of the right wing parade don't have more than 2 brain cells to rub together to work out that muslims aren't the root cause of the problem.

Would you happen to have evidence to suggest this or are you basing your statement on emotions?
Original post by drogon
Well it's not just fat people. Personally i think it's one of the only things feminists are right about. Ads like theses give a social perception of women and they are expected to conform to it, as well as creating misogyny amongst men when a woman does not have the ideal body shape.

In fairness the ad is for a slimming product so a slim person is needed to sell the product.

I just watched Harrison Bergeron. My favourite inspirational film. It's exactly how I think society should be.

I think we should have adverts about how cool, inspirational and admiral it is to be stupid. I think we really need to inspire people here to allow the full potential of their stupidity to come to fruition even if it takes banging your head against the wall unabated until it's redder and red and you're unconscious on the floor but not quite dead.

There's nothing wrong with being fat, ugly, stupid. So why aren't we promoting it? It's far better than the alternative. No one wants the social stigma of elitism; being smart, beautiful and well built. Stupid, the new smart. Ugly, the new beautiful. Fat, the new well built.

Seriously? I am not a fan of these ads. In fact I am not a fan of adverts at all. Personally, part of me would like them all banned. In the same way as part of me would like to kill several world leaders right now if I could as well as punching a bunch of people around me but.... you don't actually do those things for Christ's saké. If a person is adversely impacted by these adverts then I think you ought take a close look at that person to figure out what is the matter with them to start with.

As for Khan if you were a telepath chances are you would look into his mind and see he is doing this for modesty, to appease and build a support base, to establish the precedent of control over adverts to project his influence over the public conscious for his own ends and so on. However his primary goal will be distraction.

But that's not even the big news. The big news is that he made it so that they have to "represent London's diversity". So while you're all bickering about his stupid pandering to sensitive fatties he's getting away with sneaking in his first proof of concept diversity quota.

What did I say? What did I say? You people are bloody asleep but what's the point? You deserve him.
(edited 7 years ago)
" 70,000 signatures."

The way I see it ... 70,000 lazy people unwilling to improve their physical well being.

Not saying you have to cut down to bikini level physique as its not for everyone but it does show the level of mediocrity in society.

Original post by drogon
Well it's not just fat people. Personally i think it's one of the only things feminists are right about. Ads like theses give a social perception of women and they are expected to conform to it, as well as creating misogyny amongst men when a woman does not have the ideal body shape.

In fairness the ad is for a slimming product so a slim person is needed to sell the product.

Wake up, the same double standards is held to men aswell.
Reply 88
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

Wake up, the same double standards is held to men aswell.

I said that in another post
Reply 89
Original post by Zanscape
The point is not that he is Muslim, that has NOTHING to do with him banning the adverts. It's that adverts such as the 'beach body ready advert' are encouraging people to do drastic things (to take shop bought drugs!) to achieve a body type which is UNREALISTIC. the woman is clearly highly photoshopped, and whatever you may all say, it is certainly NOT healthy to have your ribs showing through your skin the way hers are. It also suggests that if you do not look like this, you somehow dont deserve to go to the beach dressed in a bikini, which is ridiculous because very few people look like that. adverts such as these can trigger body dysmorphia, and eating disorders, not only in "fat people" as you have described them, but also in people of a healthy size, because these are mental illnesses, they are not simply "fat people getting offended". so they're going to be banned, good for Kahn, deal with it.

She did look like she was sucking in her chest, and her ribs weren't poking through her chest in a way that suggests an anorexia-type body, she just looked on the lower body fat edge of the athletic body type. Rather than banning the ad and hoping Britain's obesity problem will go away, focus on people getting healthier, and more comfortable in their own bodies (but not comfortable in their unhealthy bodies) would be more helpful. Banning this smacks of insecurity and a desire to bury one's head in the sand
Reply 90
It's not how 'normal women' around the world look like, I'm shocked that you think it is?! I didn't mean that her body type is unrealistic, I'm sure many women do have it, but they were born like that. I am saying that it is unrealistic to expect all women to look like that, when it is very difficult/impossible for them to do, because it is such a specific body type (a result of genetics and photoshop, not "eating healthily and doing exercise":wink:. And I still stand by the fact that it is not healthy to be so skinny that your ribs are showing through your skin. And your Instagram (what a stupid argument to try and make?!) point is completely invalid because many "amateur" Instagram users do photoshop their photographs - that is common knowledge. And your last sentence is just a bit ironic because this entire thread is filled with people who feel threatened by Sadiq Kahn (mainly because hes Muslim but they're too afraid to admit that they're Islamophobic), so maybe they all need to realise that they're the problem, and not someone else?

It actually is a very common body type among younger women. And, no, it is a product of healthy eating and exercise, primarily - even if you have a natural lower tendency for not storing body fat, you'd lose the athletic body type if your lifestyle is bad. For women in their teens to 30's and no children, it's quite easy with a healthy diet, lots of water, and reasonably frequent exercise; those with unhealthy bodies who are physically incapable of getting healthy are in the extreme majority.

And the ribs is a product of sucking in for a photo shoot for a flatter stomach, in the same way someone would clench their jaw for a clearer jawline.
Original post by h3rmit
It actually is a very common body type among younger women. And, no, it is a product of healthy eating and exercise, primarily - even if you have a natural lower tendency for not storing body fat, you'd lose the athletic body type if your lifestyle is bad. For women in their teens to 30's and no children, it's quite easy with a healthy diet, lots of water, and reasonably frequent exercise; those with unhealthy bodies who are physically incapable of getting healthy are in the extreme majority.

And the ribs is a product of sucking in for a photo shoot for a flatter stomach, in the same way someone would clench their jaw for a clearer jawline.

Don't try to tell me what average young women look like, I an an 18 year old woman who goes to an all female school, so I am well aware what the average young woman looks like, and it is not that (and no, it is not a school full of obese people, it is a school full of healthy people who do sports lessons 4 times a week and eat their fruit and veg). I am sticking to my argument: that advert was shaming people into taking their pills to lose weight, not to exercise, and the woman in the photograph has a body type which is difficult to achieve. Women should not have to aim for this body type to please all of you, as long as they are of a healthy size (which believe it or not can be different to that in the photo! *gasp*! )
Reply 92
Tbh it isn't hate speech so I don't see the problem with it. It is just another so called 'micro-aggression'. It shouldn't be banned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The point is not that he is Muslim, that has NOTHING to do with him banning the adverts. It's that adverts such as the 'beach body ready advert' are encouraging people to do drastic things (to take shop bought drugs!) to achieve a body type which is UNREALISTIC. the woman is clearly highly photoshopped, and whatever you may all say, it is certainly NOT healthy to have your ribs showing through your skin the way hers are. It also suggests that if you do not look like this, you somehow dont deserve to go to the beach dressed in a bikini, which is ridiculous because very few people look like that. adverts such as these can trigger body dysmorphia, and eating disorders, not only in "fat people" as you have described them, but also in people of a healthy size, because these are mental illnesses, they are not simply "fat people getting offended". so they're going to be banned, good for Kahn, deal with it.

That body is definitely achievable naturally without drugs though not for the average Joe :lol: To non-lifters everything is photoshopped :laugh:

I agree that it isn't healthy to maintain that body fat % but that model has been dieting/ "prepping" down for that shoot for handful of weeks in advance. On the contrary, being overweight/obese isn't healthy aswell. Your latter point is valid but the only way around that is to know information about dieting/nutrition.
Reply 94
[video="youtube;wrlPKW4mU30"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrlPKW4mU30[/video]
Reply 95
Original post by Josb
Wrong. People debated of this on TSR before Khan was elected and some were already annoyed by the SJW crowd asking to ban this advert.

Wrong. People debated the concept. Now it's people attacking him and linking it with his religious views.
Original post by h3rmit
She did look like she was sucking in her chest, and her ribs weren't poking through her chest in a way that suggests an anorexia-type body, she just looked on the lower body fat edge of the athletic body type. Rather than banning the ad and hoping Britain's obesity problem will go away, focus on people getting healthier, and more comfortable in their own bodies (but not comfortable in their unhealthy bodies) would be more helpful. Banning this smacks of insecurity and a desire to bury one's head in the sand

:clap2: :five:

Don't try to tell me what average young women look like, I an an 18 year old woman who goes to an all female school, so I am well aware what the average young woman looks like, and it is not that (and no, it is not a school full of obese people, it is a school full of healthy people who do sports lessons 4 times a week and eat their fruit and veg). I am sticking to my argument: that advert was shaming people into taking their pills to lose weight, not to exercise, and the woman in the photograph has a body type which is difficult to achieve. Women should not have to aim for this body type to please all of you, as long as they are of a healthy size (which believe it or not can be different to that in the photo! *gasp*! )

A skewed representation. No pill out there will help you lose weight (fat)
which only happens by being in a caloric deficit but you can understand the marketing perspective.

You shouldn't diet and aim to look a certain way for anybody but yourself.
True, however if a women was given no exercise or awareness of dieting/nutrition she'd fail to maintain that "healthy" body fat % range for long in her later years.
Reply 97
Original post by drogon
Wrong. People debated the concept. Now it's people attacking him and linking it with his religious views.

Khan wasn't mayor at that time. :facepalm2:
Can't have attractive models in bikinis because it makes people feel bad.

Can't have attractive faces in adverts because it makes uglies feel bad.

Can't have fat people in adverts because it promotes unhealthy bodies.

Can't have muscular men in adverts because it makes scrawny betas feel bad.

Let's just ban people in adverts. Problem solved.
Original post by chazwomaq
Can't have attractive models in bikinis because it makes people feel bad.

Can't have attractive faces in adverts because it makes uglies feel bad.

Can't have fat people in adverts because it promotes unhealthy bodies.

Can't have muscular men in adverts because it makes scrawny betas feel bad.

Let's just ban people in adverts. Problem solved.

Pretty much this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending