The Student Room Group

I enjoy writing essays, should i begin charging for my work?

I can type 3000 words in less than a day. My friends ask me to help them prepare their essays( they research on them first, of course). I only compile and edit the work. Does that make it unethical practice? Should I charge them?

Scroll to see replies

At what level?

In any event you are conspiring to help them cheat.

It sounds as though you are doing a bit more than compiling and editing.

Whether you charge them or not is up to you.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
At what level?

In any event you are conspiring to help them cheat.

It sounds as though you are doing a bit more than compiling and editing.

Whether you charge them or not is up to you.

Where does cheating start and stop? If someone does their own library research and gather materials, then seek help from me in typing, proofreading and citing, is that cheating?
Original post by Frank87
Where does cheating start and stop? If someone does their own library research and gather materials, then seek help from me in typing, proofreading and citing, is that cheating?

At what level of student are we talking?
Original post by Frank87
I can type 3000 words in less than a day. My friends ask me to help them prepare their essays( they research on them first, of course). I only compile and edit the work. Does that make it unethical practice? Should I charge them?

This is an actual job, you can find people online who charge to write up essays.
Charge them.
Reply 5
At what level of student are we talking?

College level, some of them are working so they have limited time. Others are foreign students whose command of English is poor. I don't see this as cheating, do you?
Reply 6
Original post by CorpusLuteum
This is an actual job, you can find people online who charge to write up essays.
Charge them.

Really? So I can make money off my talent?
Original post by Frank87
Really? So I can make money off my talent?

Yeah fam.
Do it.
Reply 8
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Yeah fam.
Do it.

Thanks for the insight Corpus. Does TSR allow anyone to post that they offer this kind of help? I am afraid I may get banned from this site.
Original post by Frank87
College level, some of them are working so they have limited time. Others are foreign students whose command of English is poor. I don't see this as cheating, do you?

Are you a student yourself?
As pointed out, there are essay writing services and they charge. Proofing is slightly different.

The college concerned will have rules and require the student to make a declaration. That normally requires the work to be all their own.

If they get found out then they will be disciplined. the test is what will the examining body or institution say about the level of assistance afforded. Uf the student was up front and opointed out they had had your assistance, then would the college be bothered or not?

If the answer is yes, then you are clearly breaching the rules and helping them cheat.

Not sure what it is you are doing, becayse on the one hand you talk about writing essays and the other you just talk about proofing.
Original post by Frank87
Thanks for the insight Corpus. Does TSR allow anyone to post that they offer this kind of help? I am afraid I may get banned from this site.

You will get deleted.
Reply 11
Are you a student yourself?
As pointed out, there are essay writing services and they charge. Proofing is slightly different.

The college concerned will have rules and require the student to make a declaration. That normally requires the work to be all their own.

If they get found out then they will be disciplined. the test is what will the examining body or institution say about the level of assistance afforded. Uf the student was up front and opointed out they had had your assistance, then would the college be bothered or not?

If the answer is yes, then you are clearly breaching the rules and helping them cheat.

Not sure what it is you are doing, becayse on the one hand you talk about writing essays and the other you just talk about proofing.

The extent of my writing does not include the research on the content. For instance, a Chinese student can write 3 pages of broken English with enough sources and substantial content. I only help in rewriting the paper and citing using the correct referencing methods such as MLA, APA, Oxford etc. Does that amount to cheating?
Original post by Frank87
The extent of my writing does not include the research on the content. For instance, a Chinese student can write 3 pages of broken English with enough sources and substantial content. I only help in rewriting the paper and citing using the correct referencing methods such as MLA, APA, Oxford etc. Does that amount to cheating?

It depends on the declaration of authenticity. If thats all your input was and it was declared, then it would be fine. Its still unclear to what your rewriting includes.

If you were trying to avoid cheating, then you would declare it as there would be nothing to hide.

There are plenty of places, which offer a complete essay writing service.
Well, what I can tell from my own experience, it is not very easy to write an essay on your own. It is great that you can do that and you really like it. It is always good to have a friend who can help you with an essay for free. But the thing is he is not a professional, right? so better ask for some help online services. They do such work every day. Poor they XDOnce I was ordering a written assignment online in a service called 'supreme essay' or something like this. They did their job in time. And my professor was satisfied.
Well, what I can tell from my own experience, it is not very easy to write an essay on your own. It is great that you can do that and you really like it. It is always good to have a friend who can help you with an essay for free. But the thing is he is not a professional, right? so better ask for some help online services. They do such work every day. Poor they XD
Once I was ordering a written assignment online in a service called 'supreme essay' or something like this. They did their job in time. And my professor was satisfied.
Could you help me then?:wink:

I feel like my command of English is poor.

Edit: Without charging as i am kind of broke.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not the one who is good at writing essays. You can google and find an online writing service.
I used that one that I mentioned above. But you can try to find something else.
Reply 17
Original post by clairebryant
I'm not the one who is good at writing essays. You can google and find an online writing service.
I used that one that I mentioned above. But you can try to find something else.

yes I can:smile:
I would not charge, especially since you are not deemed as a professional yet.

Those who have doctorate degrees know more than enough about their chosen subject to be writing essays that are worthy to be charged.

It's good that you enjoy writing though and maybe in the near future you could consider charging.

Just do it as a hobby kind of thing and help your friends, maybe even teach them how to structure essays properly.

:smile:

@Frank87
Reply 19
Original post by Blackstarr
I would not charge, especially since you are not deemed as a professional yet.

Those who have doctorate degrees know more than enough about their chosen subject to be writing essays that are worthy to be charged.

It's good that you enjoy writing though and maybe in the near future you could consider charging.

Just do it as a hobby kind of thing and help your friends, maybe even teach them how to structure essays properly.

:smile:

@Frank87

Hi, actually after I posted this thread almost 20 students have inboxed me seeking my essay writing guidance. sadly I have turned down several of them because they were not giving me genuine reasons. Others just wanted me to do their homework for them, of which, I told them its taking advantage of a genuinely helpful TSR family member. Secondly, the money aspect is very tempting. Part of me wants to start this as a side job, while the other wants it to remain as a helpful hobby.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending