The Student Room Group

People who are Introverted, online

Now, I do understand that people can have social anxiety and such, but I fond it interesting in how people label themselves as being introverted or think it is cool to be introverted.
Some of you guys are not even socially introverted

Scroll to see replies

Think it is cool to be introverted? I haven't ever seen that in anyone, though maybe I am not looking.

And also, people online vs in real life can be very different.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Now, I do understand that people can have social anxiety and such, but I fond it interesting in how people label themselves as being introverted or think it is cool to be introverted.

I think you're fairly ignorant of what being introverted actually is.

I have relatively little social anxiety, can be outgoing, network well at work and events and make a good showing of myself at socials.

However 9/10 if given a choice i'd rather have nothing to do with people and spend time by myself/with my wife inside my flat. Likewise major social events tend to burn me out quite rapidly.

Although I will agree with you that I see no reason why people need to label themselves as introvert, extrovert an introverted extrovert etc....it's all a bit pointless.
You're either introverted or you're not. That doesn't mean you hate people or have to be socially awkward or have anxiety - it refers to how you process the world. That doesn't change whether you're online or offline. Not every introvert is a quiet little mouse and not all extroverts are loud and party-goers.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Think it is cool to be introverted? I haven't ever seen that in anyone, though maybe I am not looking.

And also, people online vs in real life can be very different.

I get the impression, in which we have a number of people who think it is indeed cool.
Reply 5
Original post by Elivercury
I think you're fairly ignorant of what being introverted actually is.

I have relatively little social anxiety, can be outgoing, network well at work and events and make a good showing of myself at socials.

However 9/10 if given a choice i'd rather have nothing to do with people and spend time by myself/with my wife inside my flat. Likewise major social events tend to burn me out quite rapidly.

Although I will agree with you that I see no reason why people need to label themselves as introvert, extrovert an introverted extrovert etc....it's all a bit pointless.

Maybe I am, but it is not my fault.
And I am glad that we can come to an agreement.
Maybe I am, but it is not my fault.
And I am glad that we can come to an agreement.

That's debatable. You could make an effort to inform yourself.
Reply 7
That's debatable. You could make an effort to inform yourself.

My definition is an introverted person, is a person who enjoys their own company, but can still be social.
But people who just have no social skills will use an excuse to mask their flaws
Reply 8
Happy introvert here:tongue:
Introvert here. If you're an introvert all that means is you gain energy from spending time alone and tend to become drained after spending a lot of time around other people, whereas extroverts gain energy from social interaction and don't like to spend too much time on their own. Being an introvert doesn't necessarily mean you're shy or socially awkward.
My definition is an introverted person, is a person who enjoys their own company, but can still be social.
But people who just have no social skills will use an excuse to mask their flaws

You may be correct there, but then if they are/have become introverted because they have poor social skills does that make them any less of an introvert?
Original post by rainbow.panda
Introvert here. If you're an introvert all that means is you gain energy from spending time alone and tend to become drained after spending a lot of time around other people, whereas extroverts gain energy from social interaction and don't like to spend too much time on their own. Being an introvert doesn't necessarily mean you're shy or socially awkward.

Good point, but people who are just socially awkward or socially rude will say, well I am introverted, or some other silly excuse.
Reply 12
The definitions of introvert and extrovert confuse me. I tend to find conversation in person a bit tedious, especially small-talk, and I like having lots of time just in my own company, but I certainly think I "gain energy from being around people" which is supposedly the definition of extroversion.
You may be correct there, but then if they are/have become introverted because they have poor social skills does that make them any less of an introvert?

I would say that they're socially anxious or socially inept.
I would say that they're socially anxious or socially inept.

They probably are, but why do the two have to be mutually exclusive/one or the other?
They probably are, but why do the two have to be mutually exclusive/one or the other?

I would say that having social anxiety would apply to most.
I would say that having social anxiety would apply to most.

Sure, but it's perfectly possible to be both socially anxious (or inept) and be an introvert. Much the same as it is to be socially anxious and an extrovert. It doesn't exclude you.

I am exactly the same

I'm introverted. I don't think it's "cool", but there's nothing wrong with it either. It's just a personality type.

I'd identify myself as more of an outgoing introvert, though.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
The definitions of introvert and extrovert confuse me. I tend to find conversation in person a bit tedious, especially small-talk, and I like having lots of time just in my own company, but I certainly think I "gain energy from being around people" which is supposedly the definition of extroversion.

Exactly, people love to stick irrelevant labels on themselves just to get some illusory sensation of identity. Truth is we are all humans and we all long for meaningful relationships with other people so whether someone calls himself and introvert or an extrovert doesn't really mean anything...

Quick Reply

Latest