The Student Room Group

David Mitchell: The UK's EU Referendum Should be a Matter for Politicians NOT Plebs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I can sympathise with feeling like you don't have a clue and wondering why you're being asked to decide on such a complex matter. I am pretty set on voting for leave but as I don't exactly have an extensive, expertly researched thesis on why this is better, I can't help feeling that I'm not "qualified". However I believe strongly in democracy and think this referendum should definitely be held, and the notion of leaving everything to the politicians reeks of "enlightened despotism" (when the politicians haven't shown themselves to be particularly enlightened anyway..).
Reply 21
Original post by Foo.mp3
Aye, but only one of us is on point and knows what the **** we're talking about. Speaks volumes that The Guardian are prepared to print such mistaken/misleading, condescending, propagandist tosh

To be honest I found your editorial fairly condescending, biased and misleading. You painted a picture with only the bits in that you wanted to be there, ignoring the extra complexities of some aspects and just ignoring others entirely. You believe you know what you're talking about, as does he I'm sure. I think if you were both honest with yourselves you would both know that you are putting a spin on things to suit your beliefs.

I'll give him that much - not that this major constitutional question is a laughing matter, really..

Apart from Boris, Nigel and Michael :wink:
The thing is I don't trust MPs to make informed decision either. :dontknow:
Politicians are there to serve the populace and too much authority in the hands of a few is never a good thing. I do wish more people would read history books.
What a mug, does he even know what a demo-cracy is??
Original post by Aceadria
Politicians are there to serve the populace and too much authority in the hands of a few is never a good thing. I do wish more people would read history books.

That's literally what a democracy is!

What an abolute thundercunt...
Original post by The Roast
That's literally what a democracy is!

What an abolute thundercunt...

That's what a representative democracy is. It is by no means the only type of democracy.

Try and refrain from using insults.
Original post by Passion Fruit
Speaking as someone coming from quite a diverse family in many ways including social class and who is voting to remain. I have certainly noticed that wealthy, well educated people are often the most self-righteous and patronising people, yet have flaky head in the clouds ideas rather than a common sense approach which gets results.

Boris, for example.
Reply 28
Original post by Foo.mp3
Worse still, the guy presents himself as being progressive and anti-elitist; writing in The Guardian of all papers! You just couldn't write this stuff! :laugh:

Why are "progressives" often so authoritarian? :holmes:[video="youtube;J2paiKp6_YU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2paiKp6_YU[/video]
Reply 29
Original post by Foo.mp3

No, I quite clearly know what I’m talking about. If you disagree, feel free to critique my contentions directly, rather than sniping aimlessly, dear

You mean like where you gave your opinion as a fact then, when it was pointed out that this was not the case, argued that something doesn't have to be definitely true to be a fact?

Consider me convinced :rolleyes:
Reply 30
Original post by Foo.mp3
I mean like when I asserted that an outcome that is a virtually impossible to avoid is tantamount to a (pragmatic) certainty, aye :yy:

I consider you may things, son :u:

There's a way to describe things which are highly likely - you can say that they are highly likely. Crazy, I know. Means you can avoid erroneously calling something a fact. As a decorated economist (if you can't tell, it tickles me to hear anyone talk about themself in such a way) you may wish to look into it. Although, let's face it, your intentions never were based around presenting accurate information in the first place, more on portraying your views as the only legitimate ones.

Spoiler

My shocking defeat? Don't worry about me, I'll do fine. It's the country in general you should be worrying about.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending