The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan to ban "body shaming" adverts from London Transport

Scroll to see replies

its not that deep honestly. personally i dont believe it links to islam, why should it? because islam says to lower your gaze doesn't mean he will introduce that to the whole of the UK. as a female, adverts with models wearing near nothing with the perfect body makes me self conscious. in this day and age where women have requirements to look good is stressful.

these adverts do lead to all sorts of disorders such as self harm, bulimia and anorexia just to name a few.

serious question: if this was a different non-muslim PM who brought in this rule, how would you react?
Reply 101
Original post by Josb
Khan wasn't mayor at that time.:facepalm2:

You're just backing up my point idiot :facepalm2:
Reply 102
Original post by drogon
You're just backing up my point idiot :facepalm2:

You said that people only debated the concept and didn't link it with Khan the first time it was in the news. Yes, obviously, because this advert wasn't banned at the time and Khan wasn't mayor.

Try something better if you want to attack me.
Reply 103
Original post by Josb
You said that people only debated the concept and didn't link it with Khan the first time it was in the news. Yes, obviously, because this advert wasn't banned at the time and Khan wasn't mayor.

Try something better if you want to attack me.

Of course but why didn't they launch a personal attack on the advocators? It's only happening now because Khan is a muslim mayor.

You idiot. It was banned at the time. Perhaps stop meddling with our affairs and worry about your own eh?

Your embarrassing yourself now.
Reply 104
Original post by drogon
Of course but why didn't they launch a personal attack on the advocators? It's only happening now because Khan is a muslim mayor.

You idiot. It was banned at the time. Perhaps stop meddling with our affairs and worry about your own eh?

The advocators weren't in official positions and they were largely criticised. Khan would also be criticised even if he wasn't Muslim.

I have every right to comment on this website.

Original post by drogon
Your embarrassing yourself now.

Try to avoid primary school mistakes when you insult someone.
Reply 105
Original post by Josb
The advocators weren't in official positions and they were largely criticised. Khan would also be criticised even if he wasn't Muslim.

I have every right to comment on this website.

You're missing the point. He's being criticised because he is Muslim.

You don't seem to be well informed of our affairs. It seems like your only source is this website.
Reply 106
Being obese is unhealthy, stop telling people it's not
Original post by Themini
Oh shut up lol..You and I both know we wouldn't be having this argument if Sadiq Khan was white or Christian. Unlike you and the rest of the right wing parade I don't have prejudices towards him and his religion.

I see him as the Mayor of London, not as a Pakistani Muslim who cant be trusted to make decisions simply because of his assumed religious motives. Bunch of foil hat wearers.

Who gives 2 sh*ts? I mean really? He banned a couple of adverts so what? That's your biggest issue with him? JFC.

I don't care if he is Pakistani or whatever. I care that he would ban health, and promote obeseness instead.
Original post by Zanscape
It's not how 'normal women' around the world look like, I'm shocked that you think it is?! I didn't mean that her body type is unrealistic, I'm sure many women do have it, but they were born like that. I am saying that it is unrealistic to expect all women to look like that, when it is very difficult/impossible for them to do, because it is such a specific body type (a result of genetics and photoshop, not "eating healthily and doing exercise":wink:. And I still stand by the fact that it is not healthy to be so skinny that your ribs are showing through your skin. And your Instagram (what a stupid argument to try and make?!) point is completely invalid because many "amateur" Instagram users do photoshop their photographs - that is common knowledge. And your last sentence is just a bit ironic because this entire thread is filled with people who feel threatened by Sadiq Kahn (mainly because hes Muslim but they're too afraid to admit that they're Islamophobic), so maybe they all need to realise that they're the problem, and not someone else?

If you move outside of the UK, especially to the Nordics or even China, most people are not fat or obese. Actually, they have healthy BMI, and it's quite hard to find fat people in Scandinavia, as they are the minority. I am actually shocked that you think most women are fat. Yes, it is true that the average woman in the UK is on the upper bound of the weight scale, but it's not the case for the rest of the world. Just look up statistics or travel abroad. Are you implying only a certain amount of people can be not fat? That's a blatant lie. It is difficult to maintain a healthy weight by eating healthy food and exercise, yes, as we are exposed to cheap and processed, fatty food on a daily basis. Her ribs are showing like a person with anorexia. Well... it's quite obvious to spot photoshopping, and a lot of her amateur photos don't indicate that.
(edited 7 years ago)
What does Sharia say about tight fitting Burqas?
Original post by SeamanDemon
If you move outside of the UK, especially to the Nordics or even China, most people are not fat or obese. Actually, they have healthy BMI, and it's quite hard to find fat people in Scandinavia, as they are the minority. I am actually shocked that you think most women are fat. Yes, it is true that the average woman in the UK is on the upper bound of the weight scale, but it's not the case for the rest of the world. Just look up statistics or travel abroad. Are you implying only a certain amount of people can be not fat? That's a blatant lie. It is difficult to maintain a healthy weight by eating healthy food and exercise, yes, as we are exposed to cheap and processed, fatty food on a daily basis. Her ribs are showing like a person with anorexia. Well... it's quite obvious to spot photoshopping, and a lot of her amateur photos don't indicate that.

OMG! I am not saying that most women are fat! I am saying that most women are not as skinny as the woman in the photograph, which does not make them fat, it means they are a healthy size. I am saying that most people can't achieve her SPECIFIC body shape! stop saying that everyone who doesn't look like her is fat?! The woman in the photograph is probably about a size 6, and most healthy women are about a size 10. And it's not easy to spot photoshopping, it can be very difficult when done properly. do you know this model? is that why you keep talking about her instagram photos? The ban isn't even about that, it is about the advert using an unrealistic model and a pointed slogan to shame people into thinking that their body isn't okay when it often is fine, as long as it is healthy. again, i am not talking about fat people, which you seem to have a fixation on, i am talking about healthy sized people who and getting pressured into losing weight to please other people.
People are missing the point: he is not banning all adverts with attractive and thin women on them, not banning adverts which promote "healthy living" (although people keep missing that the original advert was promoting diet pills, which is not healthy living), he is banning adverts which pressure women into conforming to societies ideals of perfection and normality. the original advert has a very pressurising slogan "ARE YOU BEACH BODY READY?" It is implying that people who do not look like the woman in the picture should not dare to show themselves on a beach or in public is they do not look exactly like her. It has nothing to do with his religion either.
The majority of the people in this thread who are against this decision to ban it are men, and do not understand the extreme pressure women are put under to look perfect all the time. I know you feel pressure to get six-packs, and have the perfect body, and look good without makeup, I can appreciate that. But if someone said that they would ban adverts with topless men rippling with muscles, with the same slogan "are you beach body ready?", I would not condemn the banning of it. It is not up to me to demand that men look like that, and to mock men and call them fat if they are offended by the advert.
You all need to get over yourselves, it will not affect you in any way.
Some fat tumblr terrorists complained.Really it is a simple question. Are you beach body ready? If you're not confident about your body then its your fault. Really anything that reduces the obesity rate is good. Even if you want to call it fat shaming. Yes, shame on you fat people, lose some bloody weight.

EXCEPTION; THOSE WITH REAL CONDITIONS(NOT AN ADDICTION TO MCDONALDS) ARE DESERVING OF OUR SUPPORT
Original post by chazwomaq
Can't have attractive models in bikinis because it makes people feel bad.

Can't have attractive faces in adverts because it makes uglies feel bad.

Can't have fat people in adverts because it promotes unhealthy bodies.

Can't have muscular men in adverts because it makes scrawny betas feel bad.

Let's just ban people in adverts. Problem solved.

Thats pretty much the solution. Ban adverts altogether, for those people who identify as Coke bottles and gender neutral cigarettes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending