The Student Room Group

Did opposites attract or are you and your bf/gf the same person?

For us, we have differing views on religion and he's an optimist,I m not and he's a perfectionist and I m very far from it. But otherwise we re reasonably similar and I guess have become a little more a like over the past 2.5 years.
What about you?
Yes, I exist and they don't :'(
Original post by claireestelle
For us, we have differing views on religion and he's an optimist,I m not and he's a perfectionist and I m very far from it. But otherwise we re reasonably similar and I guess have become a little more a like over the past 2.5 years.
What about you?

Me (cation) and my anion are very attracted to each other. The bond requires a lot of heat to break.

Spoiler

Opposites attract is a myth surrounding superficial activities. For a relationship to work you need to both have a similar basis in shared principals.

To create an extreme example you will not see a feminist stripper having a successful relationship with a highly conservative and religious person - how could they?

Making decisions about things like children, their education, their religion etc. can be hard enough even when you see eye to eye on 95% of things, I can't even imagine where you'd start with 10%.
Original post by Elivercury
Opposites attract is a myth surrounding superficial activities. For a relationship to work you need to both have a similar basis in shared principals.

To create an extreme example you will not see a feminist stripper having a successful relationship with a highly conservative and religious person - how could they?

Making decisions about things like children, their education, their religion etc. can be hard enough even when you see eye to eye on 95% of things, I can't even imagine where you'd start with 10%.

I can see where you are coming from :smile: religion for us will be an educate our children on both of our beliefs and leave them to make the choice themselves I think, he's believes in God and an afterlife but that's it rather than a strong religious attachment otherwise I can't have seen me being an atheist working too well. Otherwise we agree 100% on everything else really.
Original post by claireestelle
I can see where you are coming from :smile: religion for us will be an educate our children on both of our beliefs and leave them to make the choice themselves I think, he's believes in God and an afterlife but that's it rather than a strong religious attachment otherwise I can't have seen me being an atheist working too well. Otherwise we agree 100% on everything else really.

I'm not saying inter-faith relationships can't work, no couple will share 100% of their values and there is no reason one of those values can't be faith. But some are pretty incompatible, for example even wanting children. It can work, but requires sacrifice from one party and relationships can be hard enough without starting with a challenge from the off.

Hell, me and my wife are having to discuss terms and ground rules around how the puppy we're getting will be treated. Had to compromise that being on the sofa is allowed but the bed isn't. I dread to think what children will be like!
Original post by Elivercury
I'm not saying inter-faith relationships can't work, no couple will share 100% of their values and there is no reason one of those values can't be faith. But some are pretty incompatible, for example even wanting children. It can work, but requires sacrifice from one party and relationships can be hard enough without starting with a challenge from the off.

Hell, me and my wife are having to discuss terms and ground rules around how the puppy we're getting will be treated. Had to compromise that being on the sofa is allowed but the bed isn't. I dread to think what children will be like!
Everythings about compromise, I d be too soft and let the dog have cuddles in bed with us :tongue: We ve agreed a kids names and the when's and where's and some how's, the rest we ll figure out when I actually have them :smile:
Reply 7
Lol... what is a gf... amirite... :frown:
Reply 8
Fundamentally me and my bf are the same. We agree on all the major things like our views on having kids or not, marriage, life values, religion etc but we are total opposite in small things like he hates horrors and I love them, he loves Minecraft and I hate it and things like that but overall we have a lot more in common even in subjects like films and music that we don't always agree on :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending