The Student Room Group

Is size 8/10 chubby for someone who is 5"3?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slamtheworld
You shouldn't be worried then :u:

Thank you. :h:
Original post by Anonymous
I am nearly 21 and have put on weight since leaving school. When I was 18 I was a size 4/size 6, 6 and a half stone and had a 22 inch waist. Now I am wearing a mixture of size 6 and size 8 clothes which are getting too small so I'm probably a size 8/size 10 really. I'm about 8 stone and now have measurements of 36-27-34. I've had to take a few gap years due to illness so because of this I've not been able to exercise. I'm planning to go to uni in 2017 and I'm feeling a bit unhappy with my weight now. Any other girls of similar age and height, what size are you? Does that sound chubby or like I need to lose weight?

I am 5"2 and I fit into size 10/12 clothes, about 9 stone. Honestly you are all good 🙂. If you really want to get some excercise in though, try and workout at home! I'm trying to get a bit more active myself, I don't do a massive load of cardio or anything I just do some sit ups, push ups, squats, stretches and planking. If you want to put some cardio in get a jump rope or do whatever you fancy.
Thank you, I'm not sure if I can pm anonymously though? Can anyone else answer that? I would prefer to remain anonymous when talking about this if at all possible. Anyway, thank you very much for all your help and advice though. :smile:
Original post by Musiccrazyloz
I am 5"2 and I fit into size 10/12 clothes, about 9 stone. Honestly you are all good 🙂. If you really want to get some excercise in though, try and workout at home! I'm trying to get a bit more active myself, I don't do a massive load of cardio or anything I just do some sit ups, push ups, squats, stretches and planking. If you want to put some cardio in get a jump rope or do whatever you fancy.

Thank you and yes I think I will try to do some exercise at home. :smile:
Okay, so I want to say thank you very much to everyone who has taken the time to reply to the thread so far. It's been really helpful! It's been great that most of the replies have been very positive: saying that I'm not chubby, I'm a healthy weight and I'm fine the way I am etc. Logically, I think that you are all probably right about that but also taking into account what everyone has said about how it's important to be happy yourself with your weight/size I think I will only be fully happy with myself in terms of that if I do lose weight.
I would be hoping to lose about 1 stone and get back to being a size 6. Is it possible to lose 1 stone in approximately 2 months? And does anyone have any advice on the best way to do it?
Original post by SophieSmall
You know the average height for a woman is around 5'3- 5'4 right? not sure how you came to the conclusion she is child size.

When I was that height I was still shopping in the kids aisle, she asked about men's sizes :tongue:

Child's sizes haha! The average height for a women in the UK is 5"3! I don't even need petite clothes let alone children's clothes! :tongue:

You asked about men's sizes, I answered
If you want my opinion, no. But being 'chubby' is totally fine as long as YOU are happy. If you're happy with your body, then It doesn't matter what other people think:smile:
You do know that the average height of a woman in the UK is 5"3 right? So, since I'm 5"3.5 and a size 8 I'm "chubby", "wide and dumpy", "fat" AND "slim" now according to your different comments. Brilliant logic there I must say.

So you caught me out on height then, congratz. I mean around average human height which is around 5'5.
Thank you. :h:

Aha you seem really nice btw, hope you're okay!
Original post by Andy98
When I was that height I was still shopping in the kids aisle, she asked about men's sizes :tongue:

You asked about men's sizes, I answered

I'm confused, I think you must have misunderstood what I said. I was talking about me (in terms of women's sizes). I didn't mean the part you quoted in a bad way or anything; I thought that you meant that you thought that I was child sized and I just thought that that was funny cause I know I'm short but I'm not that short! :smile:
If you want my opinion, no. But being 'chubby' is totally fine as long as YOU are happy. If you're happy with your body, then It doesn't matter what other people think:smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Jebedee
So you caught me out on height then, congratz. I mean around average human height which is around 5'5.

I was just being properly accurate. I'm not sure where you got that figure from. It seems like you just made it up yourself to suit your argument but never mind clearly because I'm a size 8 and 1.5 inches shorter than that, even though my BMI is actually quite close to underweight, I must be so fat!
I'm confused, I think you must have misunderstood what I said. I was talking about me (in terms of women's sizes). I didn't mean the part you quoted in a bad way or anything; I thought that you meant that you thought that I was child sized and I just thought that that was funny cause I know I'm short but I'm not that short! :smile:

Ohhh no! I just meant that if you wanted to buy a men's T-shirt for example, then you might have to look in the kids aisle.:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww, thank you! I am okay I think in general. Most people on here have been really nice which has been great but I have to admit that when I started this thread I didn't quite anticipate some of the responses so it has been a bit difficult to deal with sometimes. I have tried to debate back at some of the negative people on here but it's still not very nice to be "fat shamed" really nastily for being a size 8. :frown: Hopefully, I'll be fine in the end though! :smile: If you don't mind me asking, are you male or female?
Original post by Andy98
Ohhh no! I just meant that if you wanted to buy a men's T-shirt for example, then you might have to look in the kids aisle.:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right haha. :smile:
"Okay, so I want to say thank you very much to everyone who has taken the time to reply to the thread so far. It's been really helpful! It's been great that most of the replies have been very positive: saying that I'm not chubby, I'm a healthy weight and I'm fine the way I am etc. Logically, I think that you are all probably right about that but also taking into account what everyone has said about how it's important to be happy yourself with your weight/size I think I will only be fully happy with myself in terms of that if I do lose weight.
I would be hoping to lose about 1 stone and get back to being a size 6. Is it possible to lose 1 stone in approximately 2 months? And does anyone have any advice on the best way to do it?" my own QUOTE
Any advice on this yet?

Cancel my last question haha. I know you're a guy; I'd just forgotten for a moment who you were cause there have been so may people commenting on this thread! :tongue:
Oh right haha. :smile:

I can see where the misunderstanding came from though with hindsight

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was just being properly accurate. I'm not sure where you got that figure from. It seems like you just made it up yourself to suit your argument but never mind clearly because I'm a size 8 and 1.5 inches shorter than that, even though my BMI is actually quite close to underweight, I must be so fat!

No one cares about BMI. It neglects muscle mass.
"Okay, so I want to say thank you very much to everyone who has taken the time to reply to the thread so far. It's been really helpful! It's been great that most of the replies have been very positive: saying that I'm not chubby, I'm a healthy weight and I'm fine the way I am etc. Logically, I think that you are all probably right about that but also taking into account what everyone has said about how it's important to be happy yourself with your weight/size I think I will only be fully happy with myself in terms of that if I do lose weight.
I would be hoping to lose about 1 stone and get back to being a size 6. Is it possible to lose 1 stone in approximately 2 months? And does anyone have any advice on the best way to do it?" my own QUOTE
Any advice on this yet?

If you lose 1 stone you'd be around 7 stone with a BMI of 17.1, which is underweight I do not recommend this. I know someone in this thread has already said BMI is useless because it doesn't take into account muscle mass, but that is an argument against the overweight side of the scale. Not the underweight side.

While yes it is important to be happy with yourself, it's also important to realise why something makes you unhappy or happy. So you can decide what changes are reasonable and healthy not just physically but emotionally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending