The Student Room Group

Grades I want vs Grades I'm most probably going to get.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nusquam
Grades I want:
English Literature - A*
English Language - A
Chinese B - A
Maths - A*
Global Perspectives - A
Religious Studies - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A

Grades I'm getting:
English Literature - A
English Language - B
Chinese B - B
Maths - A
Global Perspectives - B
Religious Studies - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - B

What is Global Perspectives? Just sounds like R.E. to me.
Reply 101
Grades I want:

English Lang B
English Lit A
Business A
ICT A*
French B
History A*
Science Unit 1 A
Science Unit 2 A
Science Unit 3 A
Maths A*

3A*s 5As 2Bs

What I ll probably get:

English Lang C
English Lit A
Business B (Maybe an A)
ICT A
French D (Maybe a C)
History A
Science Unit 1 A
Science Unit 2 A (Maybe a B if the grade boundaries are incredibly high)
Science Unit 3 C
Maths B

5As 2Bs 2Cs 1D

Are they good enough to study Law at a top university? Wished I revised earlier instead of the morning of the exam.
Original post by *JustARandomGuy*
What is Global Perspectives? Just sounds like R.E. to me.

I don't even know. It's some compulsory course all students in our school have to take. It basically looks at all these global issues, and you have to write essays + conduct group projects :frown:
Hopefully, AAB. Realistically, BBC.
Original post by miacollins98
Hopefully, AAB. Realistically, BBC.

I could give you a BBC. :smug: jk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want 13A* but will probably get 12A* 1A...is that good?
Original post by bakedbeans247
I want 13A* but will probably get 12A* 1A...is that good?

Lol, pass some of those A*'s this way fam
This is an update since some of mine have not gone to plan since I last posted!

What I want: 10 A*s + A in Additional Maths FSMQ

What I'm probably going to get:

Maths: A* (already got)
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A* (but worried about high grade boundaries)
Physics: A* (hopefully! We'll see how tomorrow goes)
English Literature: A*
English Language: A (Paper 2 killed me. Let's hope Paper 3 redeemed it...)
French: A (the listening was terrible :frown: )
History: A*
Latin: A*
Classical Greek: A*

Additional Maths: B
Original post by Kiniun
Lol, pass some of those A*'s this way fam

lol if only.
Man I wish getting A*s/As at a-levels were as easy as getting them at gcse...gd ol days were last minute gcse revision was equal to a month of A2 revision
If I got C's in Bio, Chem and Phys but an A* in the ISA, is that a B overall or how does it work?
haha crap i wanted an A for physics and i just did my exam today and more like i'm getting an F
Grades I want: (What I'm likely to get in brackets)
Chemistry-A*(A)
Biology-A*(A)
Physics-A*(A)
Applications of maths-A*(A*)
English lit-A(B)
English lang-A(B)
Geography-A*(A)
French-A*(A)
Further maths-A(B)
Product design-A*(A)
Latin-A(B)
(Methods in mathematics- did last year- A*)
Grades I want:
Chemistry: A*
English Language: A*
English Literature: A*
Further Maths: A^
Geography: A*
German: A*
Maths: A*
PE: B
Physics: A*
RS: A*

1A^, 9A*, 1B

What I'm probably going to get:
English Language: A*
English Literature: A
Further Maths: A*
Geography: A
German: A*
PE: C
Physics: A*
RS: A

7A*, 3A, 1C
Original post by OHamdy
Grades I want:

English Lang B
English Lit A
Business A
ICT A*
French B
History A*
Science Unit 1 A
Science Unit 2 A
Science Unit 3 A
Maths A*

3A*s 5As 2Bs

What I ll probably get:

English Lang C
English Lit A
Business B (Maybe an A)
ICT A
French D (Maybe a C)
History A
Science Unit 1 A
Science Unit 3 C
Maths B

5As 2Bs 2Cs 1D

Are they good enough to study Law at a top university? Wished I revised earlier instead of the morning of the exam.

Original post by OHamdy
Grades I want:

English Lang B
English Lit A
Business A
ICT A*
French B
History A*
Science Unit 1 A
Science Unit 2 A
Science Unit 3 A
Maths A*

3A*s 5As 2Bs

What I ll probably get:

English Lang C
English Lit A
Business B (Maybe an A)
ICT A
French D (Maybe a C)
History A
Science Unit 1 A
Science Unit 3 C
Maths B

5As 2Bs 2Cs 1D

When you say 'top' university, what do you mean?

Oxford: No
Cambridge: Possibly yes if you get outstanding AS grades

Russel Groups: Varies from uni to uni. For example, you need a C in a foreign language to study at UCL although if you don't have a C they can arrange a short course for you to get it, your chances will not be jeopardised. However, to study Law at LSE it is a prerequisite that your grades are majority A*s and A's. Having said that, they are the 2 'top' London Russell group universities.

City University London (not a Russell group, but a 'top' university in terms of graduate prospects): They require you to have passed Maths and English Language at GCSE to study Law. Bear in mind that City Law School was the first university in London to teach Law students so they have a very good reputation for their Law school.

Now as for my opinion, I don't think those grades are necessarily inadequate but they are not the most competitive. Always remember who you are up against: those with all A*s, those with all A's, those with consistent grades (e.g. all B's), those with no C's or D's. And in addition to your competition potentially having better grades, they may have other things that make them stand out, such as an amazing personal statement, impressive extra-(and/or super-) curricular activities that make them stand out.

In a nutshell: Those grades are definitely good enough, but only just. If you get those grades, you will have to work extra hard in terms of all the other things that make up your application to any university, regardless of it being a 'top' one or not. Every part of your application matters, but I'd say GCSE's are the lesser focus.

I hope this was of help, x
Grades I want:
English Language- A*
English Literature- A
Mathematics- A*
Double Award Additional Science- A*
Religious Studies- A*
Development Studies- B
Business Studies- A*
History- A
Geography- A*

Grades I'm probably going to get:
English Language- A
English Literature- B
Mathematics- A
Double Award Additional Science- A*
Religious Studies- A*
Development Studies- B
Business Studies- A*
History- A
Geography- A*
6A*s, 2A's and 1B compared to 4A*s, 3A's and 2B's
For someone considering the path for Accountancy, Maths and Business are the ones I should strive for, it seems apt.
Just to help you GCSE people out
At GCSE i got 1A* 7A 2B 1C
Then BBBC at AS (all Bs one mark off an A!)
Uni offers from AAA to BBB

So basically getting a C at GCSE or 'only one' A* will not stop you getting into AAA unis (top unis and russel groups) Even Oxford will consider someone with 1A* at GCSE - trust me

So chill.
Grades I want:

English Language: A
English Literature: A
Physics: A
RS: A
French: A
DT: A*
Art: B

What I might get:

English Language: A
English Literature: B
Maths: A
Chemistry: A/B
Biology: A/B
Physic's: B
RS: B
French: C
DT: A*
Art: B
ICT - did the exam last year, got a B
Reply 117
Original post by wolfslayer1

Russel Groups: Varies from uni to uni. For example, you need a C in a foreign language to study at UCL although if you don't have a C they can arrange a short course for you to get it, your chances will not be jeopardised. However, to study Law at LSE it is a prerequisite that your grades are majority A*s and A's. Having said that, they are the 2 'top' London Russell group universities.

City University London (not a Russell group, but a 'top' university in terms of graduate prospects): They require you to have passed Maths and English Language at GCSE to study Law. Bear in mind that City Law School was the first university in London to teach Law students so they have a very good reputation for their Law school.

Now as for my opinion, I don't think those grades are necessarily inadequate but they are not the most competitive. Always remember who you are up against: those with all A*s, those with all A's, those with consistent grades (e.g. all B's), those with no C's or D's. And in addition to your competition potentially having better grades, they may have other things that make them stand out, such as an amazing personal statement, impressive extra-(and/or super-) curricular activities that make them stand out.

In a nutshell: Those grades are definitely good enough, but only just. If you get those grades, you will have to work extra hard in terms of all the other things that make up your application to any university, regardless of it being a 'top' one or not. Every part of your application matters, but I'd say GCSE's are the lesser focus.

Can I just start by saying how much I appreciate your response: Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. My goal is to study Law at Kings College London, I have relevant work experience and I am attending their Law Pre-University Course this summer. I won't be sitting any A-Levels, instead I ll be doing IB. If I score these GCSE grades, extremely high score in IB 39+/45, have outstanding extra circular activities that show I am well rounded; sports teams (including international competitions, taken part in multiple charitable events, student council representative in school, Model United Nations specifically the International Court of Justice where I served as Advocate, International Duke of Edinburg (Bronze, Gold but not silver).

Do I stand a fighting chance? I am an international student.
Reply 118
Original post by wolfslayer1

And if I may add, my university choices are:

1. KCL
2. QMUL
3. SOAS
4. Exeter
5. Leicester

My IB choices:

HL English
HL History
HL Computer Science
SL Chemistry