The Student Room Group

Decided to leave Islam after Orlando attack. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
49 people shot dead, and over 1 billion held accountable. Go figure.

Not a single person on this forum is deserving of the disrespect and hatred they've received following the attack in Orlando. Is it really fair that Muslims thousands of miles away, who are so far removed from the attack, are called in to question simply because the perpetrator claimed to be Muslim?

And for the record, the latter half of my original post was very generally speaking, and not about the event itself, but I wouldn't expect you to acknowledge the suffering of Muslims around the world when you can't even see it happening in front of you.

No, they should not be held accountable, but their religion and ideology should be. You seemingly deflect any criticism or even questioning of Islam as 'oppression' when in fact it is not.

If you and any follower of Islam continue to not acknowledge the problems that are rampant within Islam then how can you expect others to change their opinions on the religion?

I "can't see what's happening in front of me" because it isn't happening. Again, 49 people are killed because of their sexuality and you turn it to make yourself the victim, get over yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TrojanH
wasnt the killer gay himself lol

werent the killings due to his hatred of self?... he was found to have multiple homosexual relationships, an avid drinker, have multiple gay dating apps, he murdered those people in the night club as he was a regular there and loather the happiness of others.

if you leave islam, you leave it because of a decision made by yourself, uninfluenced by another persons actions, that's just pathetic

I agree with this somewhat but if we were to go by Islamic teachings, Gay people are supposed to self-loathe, view themselves as sinners and be in a constant state of repentance. So while I wouldn't call Islam the cause or even the main factor, it was definitely a factor nonetheless. If you listen to the father's interview in which he states that it should be left up to God to punish Gays, it's unsurprising that he hated himself.

I left because I don't believe it is the truth. Emotional responses to the actions of others is silly.
Original post by Sara_t
'Intellectual research' lol

What a fantastic retort, I bow to your superior debating skills!

You really wonder why people hold prejudiced views? Whenever criticism of Islam comes up, up come the shutters from people such of yourself, and then you go and mock valid criticisms.
Are you a guy or girl?
Religion in general is stupid... you can believe in a God without having to depend on man made scriptures of religious teachings that 'you have to abide to otherwise God does not want to know you exist.' It is more likely that religion in general was created as a form of authority to control the masses through the things we as humans could not explain at the time e.g if you sin god will cause earth quakes and plagues. Read up on philosopher Karl Marx who is well know for the saying 'Religion is the opium of the masses'.
Original post by karishma9156
To all muslims on this page: don't waste your time on trying to convince these ignorants. Allah guides who He wills and misguides who He wills. We will not be questioned by Allah on the day of judgement regarding why this brother/sister left Islam. We will only be judged by what we have done. Besides, these people who are not muslims, have never read the Quran at all let alone study it. These non-muslims (and some muslims) are trying to portray that they know more about Quran and Islam than scholars who have devoted their whole lives to Islamic studies and yet think 100 times before making a comment on verses of the Quran or Hadith. I think it is absolutely futile to argue with ignorant people who are willing to stoop low to any stage to insult muslims and do not respect the beliefs of other people. My brothers and sisters, the more you argue with these ignorants (muslims or non-muslims) the more they will speak against Allah and His prophet. Let Allah be the judge. A kind request from a sister, please leave this thread and don't bother to reply to any of these people because they are only looking for faults within Islam not the truth. Let this brother/sister do whatever they, they want to leave Islam? fine let them do it. Allah does not need their worship. They will realise on the day of judgement.

You actually make all the nice Muslims on here look bad. Shame really.

And btw, us "ignorants" can criticise Islamic teachings as much as we want. Sucks that you can't see all the violent parts.
Reply 126
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You actually make all the nice Muslims on here look bad. Shame really.

And btw, us "ignorants" can criticise Islamic teachings as much as we want. Sucks that you can't see all the violent parts.

Doesn't take a chef to say that the food is **** :mmm:
Original post by karishma9156
To all muslims on this page: don't waste your time on trying to convince these ignorants. Allah guides who He wills and misguides who He wills. We will not be questioned by Allah on the day of judgement regarding why this brother/sister left Islam. We will only be judged by what we have done. Besides, these people who are not muslims, have never read the Quran at all let alone study it. These non-muslims (and some muslims) are trying to portray that they know more about Quran and Islam than scholars who have devoted their whole lives to Islamic studies and yet think 100 times before making a comment on verses of the Quran or Hadith. I think it is absolutely futile to argue with ignorant people who are willing to stoop low to any stage to insult muslims and do not respect the beliefs of other people. My brothers and sisters, the more you argue with these ignorants (muslims or non-muslims) the more they will speak against Allah and His prophet. Let Allah be the judge. A kind request from a sister, please leave this thread and don't bother to reply to any of these people because they are only looking for faults within Islam not the truth. Let this brother/sister do whatever they, they want to leave Islam? fine let them do it. Allah does not need their worship. They will realise on the day of judgement.

But why are so many of you muslims so ****ing rude on here? So us making a few critics on Islam all of a sudden makes us ignorant? Sounds like you are the ignorant one, crying over a few critics. Pardon me for you thinking that Islam is an absolute perfect religion when it isn't.
Original post by silvercloud6
Don't blame it on the religion. Islam is a religion of peace . Many people misinterpret it especially the ones who have no clear knowledge about it and go around talking foul about it . Please as a human being capable of making sound decision you should clearly understand the true meaning of Islam and then if you feel like leaving then so be it . its your choice but please make sure you clearly know all the information before making such a drastic decision. its your life decision so be careful and think critically.

So you honestly, really and truly believe that killing gays in predominately Islamic states has NOTHING to do with Islam?
Don't blame it on the religion. Islam is a religion of peace . Many people misinterpret it especially the ones who have no clear knowledge about it and go around talking foul about it . Please as a human being capable of making sound decision you should clearly understand the true meaning of Islam and then if you feel like leaving then so be it . its your choice but please make sure you clearly know all the information before making such a drastic decision. its your life decision so be careful and think critically.

How the **** can you say it's a religion of peace after this shooting and the countless other terrorist attacks in the name of Allah.

Jesus christ, it's not only disrespectful, but downright stupid.
Again i am telling you that just because some people misuse a religion's name to perform crime doesnt make it the religion's fault There are thousands of muslims in the world and those who truely follow islam will never even think of doing such heinous crimes . We don't even support this . Please open your eyes see that these are horrible crime performed by criminals blaming a religion to get away with their deeds . Learn about Islam from true sources and see that it doesnt support these mindless killings.These killings in the name of Islam is just a way to divert our attention from real issues and cause more havoc to innocent muslims and non muslims alike . Rather than blaming and fighting its our responsibilities as human beings to gather as brother and sisters and help one another not blame each other and fight against each other.

Why did you ignore my question? This happens all the time lmao. I want an answer.
Original post by loveleest
Why did you ignore my question? This happens all the time lmao. I want an answer.

:console:

:lol:
Okay! Thank you! Good luck!
Again i am telling you that just because some people misuse a religion's name to perform crime doesnt make it the religion's fault There are thousands of muslims in the world and those who truely follow islam will never even think of doing such heinous crimes . We don't even support this . Please open your eyes see that these are horrible crime performed by criminals blaming a religion to get away with their deeds . Learn about Islam from true sources and see that it doesnt support these mindless killings.These killings in the name of Islam is just a way to divert our attention from real issues and cause more havoc to innocent muslims and non muslims alike . Rather than blaming and fighting its our responsibilities as human beings to gather as brother and sisters and help one another not blame each other and fight against each other.

Don't give me that ******** of 'these terrorist attacks would still happen without Islam' because they are utter rubbish. It's not completely Islam, but it has a huge contribution.
You probably wasnt in Islam anyway and if you was it was the attacks that made you leave Islam as u say this so nochantly it looks to me like you were kinda out anyway. Leaving a religion is a big thing, certainly not one you create AMA about immediately after. And the guy did it because he was gay himself mostly not because of Islam- links with Isis are not clear.

BTW dont reply to me- Im busy to reply to any comments.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
But why are so many of you muslims so ****ing rude on here? So us making a few critics on Islam all of a sudden makes us ignorant? Sounds like you are the ignorant one, crying over a few critics. Pardon me for you thinking that Islam is an absolute perfect religion when it isn't.

When you're passionate about something, and it gets attacked, you defend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And Muslims do not wish death on gay people- the Quran like as many other relgious books condemns the act- but are you missing the verses about love and equality and only Allah can judge whter an act is wrong.
The guy was NOT Muslim.

If you had done any research on the incident you would know he was a GAY himself + the police shot a number of people too.
Original post by TrojanH
wasnt the killer gay himself lol

werent the killings due to his hatred of self?... he was found to have multiple homosexual relationships, an avid drinker, have multiple gay dating apps, he murdered those people in the night club as he was a regular there and loather the happiness of others.

if you leave islam, you leave it because of a decision made by yourself, uninfluenced by another persons actions, that's just pathetic

The first paragraph is true absolutely, but i think what the OP was getting at is that many Muslims don't condemn the killing of homosexuals, or certainly don't treat them equally. Survey after survey has shown that an alarming amount of Muslims are very much anti LGBT and anyone who's brother is gay but also is part of the community would understandably feel very uncomfortable with that.

and calling someone pathetic for a decision you probably know virtually nothing about is just nasty
Many things in islam ' like the verses in the holy Quran are taken out of context and downright radicalized . Even some muslims due to lack of knowledge take things out of context and pin them as absolutes . yes homosexuality is forbidden in our religion but it doesnt permit the killing of other souls so mindlessly . these killings are brutal and those who do that should be punished . thus its those people that should be looked down upon not the religion. Many muslims who tuely follow it are truely peaceful , its just because of some non true muslims we get radicalized and criticized .

But it DOES say somewhere in the quran that killing homosexuals is allowed. Which is why whenever they kill a gay person, they verify their actions with the quran.

Quick Reply

Latest