The Student Room Group

Help Choices + Crohn's Disease

Well Hello,

I am coming to the end my GCSE's now and thinking about A-Level choices. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease a 2 years before I started my exams this caused me to miss many classes and lack in my revision. I realized that all I could do was try by best and see how it all went. I have support from my school and such with lots of consideration and documentation. I have been thinking that I would quite like to do ‘Biology’, ‘Chemistry’ and ‘Business & Economics’ A-Levels. Yet I’m rather worried that having Crohn’s Disease and poor GCSE results it will prevent me from being able to do what I want.

I understand that A-levels are hard, but I have found that the GCSE course content I was in school for and learnt I understand and I get right in tests. I do know that when it comes to A-levels I will be in school full time to learn but I’m not sure if I will be able to make up for rather lacking GCSE’s.

If anyone has and thoughts I would very much like hear them.

Thank You
Original post by anonymousunknown
Well Hello,

I am coming to the end my GCSE's now and thinking about A-Level choices. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease a 2 years before I started my exams this caused me to miss many classes and lack in my revision. I realized that all I could do was try by best and see how it all went. I have support from my school and such with lots of consideration and documentation. I have been thinking that I would quite like to do ‘Biology’, ‘Chemistry’ and ‘Business & Economics’ A-Levels. Yet I’m rather worried that having Crohn’s Disease and poor GCSE results it will prevent me from being able to do what I want.

I understand that A-levels are hard, but I have found that the GCSE course content I was in school for and learnt I understand and I get right in tests. I do know that when it comes to A-levels I will be in school full time to learn but I’m not sure if I will be able to make up for rather lacking GCSE’s.

Thank You

What do you think that you will get in your Science GCSEs? Do you do triple or double science?

I wouldn't recommend A Level science subjects unless you are very confident with Unit 3 stuff at GCSE although I have seen double science students excel at A Level. The content is much harder than at GCSE though, many find that they don't enjoy it. Chemistry and Physics require A LOT of home study. They don't seem suitable for your needs but if you feel that they are your best options just take them and try them out. You could always drop and change in the first couple of weeks - I'm sure your teachers will understand.

Good luck.
Original post by Certified
What do you think that you will get in your Science GCSEs? Do you do triple or double science?

I wouldn't recommend A Level science subjects unless you are very confident with Unit 3 stuff at GCSE although I have seen double science students excel at A Level. The content is much harder than at GCSE though, many find that they don't enjoy it. Chemistry and Physics require A LOT of home study. They don't seem suitable for your needs but if you feel that they are your best options just take them and try them out. You could always drop and change in the first couple of weeks - I'm sure your teachers will understand.

Good luck.

I am doing triple. My coursework is all at an A* grade. But I would honestly say I will get C's and maybe B's at a push. I understand I get what I get, but its annoying thinking if I was there to learn the content I would have been able to get better grades. I was predicted all A's.
Reply 3
Well Hello,

Thank You

I have Crohn's Disease and I am studying A-level Biology, Psychology and Maths. Also did AS Chemistry. I'd only recommend doing Biology and Chemistry if you're reallllly good at them - they're very hard as I have found out haha
Original post by 123a456
I have Crohn's Disease and I am studying A-level Biology, Psychology and Maths. Also did AS Chemistry. I'd only recommend doing Biology and Chemistry if you're reallllly good at them - they're very hard as I have found out haha

Hey, thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate it.

Good Luck
Well Hello,

Thank You

OMG when i saw this I was so thankful :smile: I am currently doing my A levels A2 like this week :O and have chrons too. My school make us do 4 a levels and I chose Maths Physics Chemistry and Geography. When i chose them i wasn't diagnosed however. Personally i feel it has given me the motivation to work harder and not let it get to me and enjoy life, i was going to drop geography and use chrons as my excuse bu in the end i didnt and im so happy i didnt, even if i didnt focus so much on it, i will still get an A level in it. How i think of it is that its two years of your life and then will be over, yes i complained at the time but looking back just stick through it and eventually you will come out the other end. I am currentl on Azerthiprine and Inflimab however my Inflimab levels see to be running out about a week before my next infusion so i might have to have 6 weekly infusions as apposed to 6 weeks, ahh well. All in all dont let it hold you back, and do great things, we are tough bunch at heart :smile:
Well Hello,

Thank You

Another piece of advise would be that a levels are tough, you have to revise everyday and do the most effective revision to get the top grades, i got 3 A*'s and 5 A*s at gcse but i found when i put maximum effort in and revised almost everyday i was able to 'beat' people in my class because i had put the effort in and did as much revision as i could. In my opinion a levels have allowed me to reach my true potential that perhaps i didnt quite show at GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest