The Student Room Group

LGBT against Islamophobia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by garfeeled
How is it pathetic. Why can somebody not fight for the end of lgbt discrimination whilst also Fighting to end the discrimination of Muslims.

What discrimination against Muslims? Are there any laws in Britain that oppress Muslims? Are they barred from public office? Are their houses of worship suppressed?

And by "Islamophobia" what they actually tend to mean is criticism of Islam, not actual discrimination against Musiims.
Original post by champ_mc99
Bosnia, Kazakhstan and Turkey are a few examples of where it's legal.

I think what they mean by fines is when doing it in public which is I think would be the same case in secular countries too.

3 countries in a sea of hate and all of those countries not legally recognising same eex couples.

Which secular countries fine people for displays of public affection?
Reply 102
Original post by RobML
People are seperate from their government...

No. Depends on the interpretation of Sharia within said Islamic state.

Original post by Thutmose-III
What discrimination against Muslims? Are there any laws in Britain that oppress Muslims? Are they barred from public office? Are their houses of worship suppressed?

And by "Islamophobia" what they actually tend to mean is criticism of Islam, not actual discrimination against Musiims.

Fortunately none is enshrined in law. But there are plenty of people out there who are bigoted and that needs to be combatted, including when that bigotry is target towards Muslims.

That's a valid point and happens a lot. Doesn't mean real bigotry doesn't/isn't happening.
Reply 104

What's your point? I said there's not one single interpretation of Shariah.
Reply 105

Muslims are not in majority in Bosnia (~45-49%); Kazakhstan has a sizeable Christian minority and Turkey is going backward on the subject.
Reply 106
Original post by RobML
What's your point? I said there's not one single interpretation of Shariah.

You said people are separate from their government, but on this point they completely agree with them.
Reply 107
Original post by Josb
You said people are separate from their government, but on this point they completely agree with them.

As in the actions of the government aren't the actions of the people...
Original post by DiddyDec
3 countries in a sea of hate and all of those countries not legally recognising same eex couples.

Which secular countries fine people for displays of public affection?

Lol I said they're a few examples. There are many more that I cba to list. And when I said "in public" I meant intercourse which idk which secular countries won't fine.

Original post by Josb
Muslims are not in majority in Bosnia (~45-49%); Kazakhstan has a sizeable Christian minority and Turkey is going backward on the subject.

Who are the majority? Kazakhstan and Turkey legalise homosexuality. I don't know what anything else has to do with it. Turkey are apparently looking to legalise gay marriage.
Reply 109
Lol I said they're a few examples. There are many more that I cba to list. .

These countries are the only examples, and Bosnia is not even a majority Muslim country (it's a binational state, half-Christian, half-Muslim).
Reply 110
Original post by RobML
And those actually persecuting homosexuals are a small minority.
The ideology advocates persecuting homosexuals, so anyone who subscribes to that ideology condones the persecuting of homosexuals, even if they don't actually do any persecuting themselves.

A racist who doesn't actually go out and beat up BME people is still a racist, and their views should still be challenged.
Original post by RobML
And those actually persecuting homosexuals are a small minority.

Just to add to what QE2 said above. I think the issue is a lot more complex and isn't just an issue involving those who actively engage in violence, but also those who sympathise with or actually help promote homophobia are also part of the issue.

For example, someone on TSR posted a list of American Islamic scholars who had condemned the recent Orlando massacre. Here is the link:

http://orlandostatement.com/

It seems great to see so many Islamic scholars speaking out to condemn the attack... However, it didn't take me long to pick a random name out of the list of scholars and find someone preaching homophobia. Is such a list really meaningful when the list is signed by a person who condemns gay Muslims, saying that he will never accept gay Muslims and says that they are cursed? Is it not views like these that help to bring about a hatred and intolerance of homosexual people, and is it not that hatred that leads to such attacks happening? From about 8 minutes onward he goes on a long rant about homosexual Muslims:

[video="youtube;iqrk-KVLwwA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqrk-KVLwwA[/video]

I think what they mean by fines is when doing it in public which is I think would be the same case in secular countries too.

I wouldn't really want to be a gay person in any of those countries, just because a Muslim country like Turkey has "secular" laws that doesn't mean the native population or nation as a whole is secular. In fact I remember reading an article a while back condoning Turkey for having the most LGBT attacks in Europe, much worse than say Russia that for some reason gets parroted as the worst nation in the world for gays by the BBC.

Hopefully when people start abandoning Islam and religion in general in Turkey people will be more accepting and tolerant just like the west.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Galaxie501
@Thutmose-III

Found the PERFECT addition to your initial post.

No, it just brings the tone down. Frankly, you kind-of embarrass yourself by linking to something by Paul Joseph Watson, a conspiracy loon and bigtime homophobe himself.
How is wanting peace pathetic? Why are you advocating hate- do know how much of a horrible person that makes you
Funny thing is that if they went through Islamic countries they would probably be attacked or the police would step in and stop them from marching.
No, it just brings the tone down. Frankly, you kind-of embarrass yourself by linking to something by Paul Joseph Watson, a conspiracy loon and bigtime homophobe himself.

I'll give you the conspiracy part. Sad to see him drifting off in Alex Jones direction.
But homophobe? How's that exactly? But then again, there are actualy people who claim that Milo is a homophobe aswell, lmao.

Im surprised that you dont seem to agee with the message, given your initial post in this thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Galaxie501
I'll give you the conspiracy part. Sad to see him drifting off in Alex Jones direction.

Drifting off in Alex Jones' direction? He's been an employee of Alex Jones for the last 10 years.

But homophobe? How's that exactly?

By repeatedly saying stupid homophobic things. Essentially that gays are part of the (non-existent) New World Order's plan to undermine Western civilistaion and destroy the family.
Drifting off in Alex Jones' direction? He's been an employee of Alex Jones for the last 10 years.

By repeatedly saying stupid homophobic things. Essentially that gays are part of the (non-existent) New World Order's plan to undermine Western civilistaion and destroy the family.

Fair enough, never heard him say that but I'll take your word for it on this time. Im not a long time viewer of his.

PS: I hope you forgive my caution when it comes to people saying "homophobia", "racism" and "islamophobia". Half of the time accusations like these carry no substance. Just a general observation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
These countries are the only examples, and Bosnia is not even a majority Muslim country (it's a binational state, half-Christian, half-Muslim).

Jordan, Lebanon, Azerbaijan, Bahrain... Few more examples.

Original post by remiremi
I wouldn't really want to be a gay person in any of those countries, just because a Muslim country like Turkey has "secular" laws that doesn't mean the native population or nation as a whole is secular. In fact I remember reading an article a while back condoning Turkey for having the most LGBT attacks in Europe, much worse than say Russia that for some reason gets parroted as the worst nation in the world for gays by the BBC.

Hopefully when people start abandoning Islam and religion in general in Turkey people will be more accepting and tolerant just like the west.

Yeah ok sure. I was arguing the fact that not all Islamic countries have a death penalty for homosexuality, not whether there's a social stigma or not.

Quick Reply

Latest