The Student Room Group

The world is a better place without religion. Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sleepysnooze
if you knew anything about christianity you'd know that without the old testament, the new testament makes no sense. why is jesus trying to forgive us? what is original sin without adam and eve? what are the 10 commandments jesus defended without moses (whom prescribed a lot of absolutely bonkers laws on top of these)? etc

Original sin? Sounds awfully similar to the concepts of male and White privilege doesn't it.
Original post by Passion Fruit
Original sin? Sounds awfully similar to the concepts of male and White privilege doesn't it.

...what? :|
Original post by sleepysnooze
...what? :|

The concept of original sin is part of the Western religious dogma, it's now applied to White people, the rich, men.
Reply 63
Original post by loveleest
However I think it's stupid that people genuinely need a book to understand that it's wrong to go around on a stabbing spree.

Agreed. But just thought I'd say - the very fact that you don't need a book to understand that it's wrong is presupposing an objective standard of wrong. Which transcends and applies to all men - and thus only be put in place by an objective moral law-giver outside our sphere. So if that's an argument against religion; well, let's just say The Bible agrees with you - Rom 2:15.
Reply 64
Even though I'm an atheist, I don't see religion as much of a problem.
It can inspire people to change their ways, and become a better person as they will have a set of morals to follow.

I think it is some individuals and organisations that creates a bad image of religions, and these images are quite widespread.
Original post by RobML
What does this even mean?

Religion doesn't cause problems, people do.
Original post by Passion Fruit
The concept of original sin is part of the Western religious dogma, it's now applied to White people, the rich, men.

...seriously, why do you keep going off onto these totally meaningless tangents like this? what are you even trying to imply? because christianity isn't a religion that came from the west -_- how is it about white power?
Reply 67
Original post by PrinceProsperity
Religion doesn't cause problems, people do.

Religion can inspire people to cause problems.
Original post by RobML
Religion can inspire people to cause problems.

meh. anything can, really. I'm know plenty of religious people who aren't radicals, it's an extreme minority that are and that would not change if religion didn't exist.
Reply 69
Original post by fartinugget
I think so.
Religion doesn't benefit the world greatly in many ways.
The belief in a "God" is slowly diminishing due to the fact that "God" was originally used to fill the gaps in knowledge that we didn't know because science hadn't discovered it yet.
Without religion there will be less pointless teachings to follow.
Following on from that we get our morals from our parents and the place we grew up in so none of the "God gave us morals" in here.
We were all raised by some way learning what's right and wrong, we don't need a religion to tell us this.

Hey, so i get where youre coming from but honestly religion (depends whuch one) sets so many rules that benefit us in our daily lives and teaches us to be better people. It helps so many people with their daily lives and brings people together all around the world because everyone has one thing in common and i think thats beautiful ngl.

Sometimes people think religion is pointless or boring or whatever but thats usually because that person is ignorant or doesnt know enough about that particular religion.

Btw I am muslim, and if anyone has any questions then feel free to ask because I wouldnt mind answering😊
Original post by Baaah
Even though I'm an atheist, I don't see religion as much of a problem.
It can inspire people to change their ways, and become a better person as they will have a set of morals to follow.

I think it is some individuals and organisations that creates a bad image of religions, and these images are quite widespread.

But you don't need religion to be moral.
Original post by At1fa
Hey, so i get where youre coming from but honestly religion (depends whuch one) sets so many rules that benefit us in our daily lives and teaches us to be better people. It helps so many people with their daily lives and brings people together all around the world because everyone has one thing in common and i think thats beautiful ngl.

Sometimes people think religion is pointless or boring or whatever but thats usually because that person is ignorant or doesnt know enough about that particular religion.

Btw I am muslim, and if anyone has any questions then feel free to ask because I wouldnt mind answering😊

But one of my points is that we don't need religion to tells us some of these moral rules, for a classic example, do not kill, we don't need religion to tell us that.
It doesn't bring religion as a whole together however in each separate religion it brings people of the same beliefs and faith together.
Religion does have a point, to fill the gaps of knowledge with God or on another note, just to provide comfort or whatever.
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Most argue the world would be better WITHOUT HUMANS!!!
But then the argument becomes ridiculous because no humans on the earth would mean that we wouldn't even be debating this manner but in a way those people are definitely right
Original post by sunshine774
This is a bit irrelevant but i had a question very similar to this on my RS paper today. "The world today does not value religion. Discuss this statement."
Ah i see, well you could probabyl says yes it does then talk about how it still exists today, it's big in the media and talk about some scholars you may've learnt about
I think so.
The belief in a "God" is slowly diminishing due to the fact that "God" was originally used to fill the gaps in knowledge that we didn't know because science hadn't discovered it yet.
Following on from that we get our morals from our parents and the place we grew up in so none of the "God gave us morals" in here.
We were all raised by some way learning what's right and wrong, we don't need a religion to tell us this.

You are correct. In fact there is no need to discuss this because those who are too stupid to understand this will simply believe in what ever god they believe in anyway. They will not read this thread and think "Holy crap I did not know that! All this time I have been believing in god and going to church was for nowt. I feel a complete charlie now".
Hate can cause hate crimes.

1466076013031.jpg

Hate can cause something called massacre.

1466076069086.jpg

And hate can also destroy the entire world.

1466076101667.jpg

Who or what can stop hate? Science can? God or Buddha can?

1466076173763.jpg

The world will surely be a better place without hate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Religion isn't the only problem - humanity is
Reply 74
I think so.

I think you need Jesus in your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
[QUOTE=sleepysnooze;65822313]lol right, so our progressive western values of acceptance of homosexuals, the equality of women, etc, is based on religion

If things weren't governed by religion it wouldn't take decades to change equality of women and acceptance of homosexuality. This would have been instantaneous.
Original post by Laomedeia
You are correct. In fact there is no need to discuss this because those who are too stupid to understand this will simply believe in what ever god they believe in anyway. They will not read this thread and think "Holy crap I did not know that! All this time I have been believing in god and going to church was for nowt. I feel a complete charlie now".

:smile: it'll be the sort who are undecided and find a better argument for or not for believing in God
Original post by skunkboy
Hate can cause hate crimes.

1466076013031.jpg

Hate can cause something called massacre.

1466076069086.jpg

And hate can also destroy the entire world.

1466076101667.jpg

Who or what can stop hate? Science can? God or Buddha can?

1466076173763.jpg

The world will surely be a better place without hate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Killing causes death

Mass killings cause many deaths

Many deaths can destroy the human race

Who can stop deaths?

The world would be a better place without death

you can replace the word hate with another bad quality but that won#t change things, the world would be better without all bad things, unfortunately that's not realistic

Original post by Andy98
Religion isn't the only problem - humanity is

Specific humans not humanity as a whole
Original post by Trill
I think you need Jesus in your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can i have someone who doesn't exist in my life?
Religion is a part of history, culture and humanity, like most things there are eBay and good aspects but it's not caused explicitly by religion but by the interpretation or how individuals act upon it

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
It has pros and cons, like many other things. There's some really good teachings and philosophies among the really quite crappy ones.

Like the crusades for example, i know it was a holy war but i'm sure muslims weren't involved

I could've sworn the first crusade started because the Seljuks (muslims) were invading the Byzantines. Although the Pope and his boys did decide to do more and that and invade Jerusalem so really there's blame to assign all over the place.
Original post by Unsolved_Mistry
Religion is a part of history, culture and humanity, like most things there are eBay and good aspects but it's not caused explicitly by religion but by the interpretation or how individuals act upon it

And this is why I hate autocorrect... *bad

Quick Reply

Latest