The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous_18
What did people write for the congress question?:frown: it was horrible!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i said

statewide appeal
enumerated powers e.g supreme court ratification
older ages
a natural progression to the presidency
president more like tho use his power of persuasion
Original post by XiuXiu
aha, looks like I messed up then. Oh well, I think I'll get marks for other things in the essay, will maybe be able to scrape a decent mark

the list aint exhaustive - you can still do well
Original post by wania98
i said

statewide appeal
enumerated powers e.g supreme court ratification
older ages
a natural progression to the presidency
president more like tho use his power of persuasion

Oh no!:frown:

I didn't write any of that! I wrote about increased partisanship and its effects, foreign policy - "congress sleeping on the job", checks and balances to show they are still effective to some extent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wania98
the list aint exhaustive - you can still do well

of course, I just didnt have enough of an understanding of the power of persuasion. I'll probably be alright just from what I thought were strong paragraphs on other presidential powers

still not sure about if Imperialism is entirely relevant but I think I'll get some marks from it anyway, talked about how some presidents had greater power than others

hope it went well for you!
I liked it!

I did limits on SC power, pros and cons of the process of amendment and the Senate being more prestigious than the House for the 15 markers and the presidential persuasion question.

I liked it! Timing was better than it was for 3C for sure.

Overall, I think politics has been nicer than I expected this year. Hopefully the grade boundaries will be kind though!
(edited 7 years ago)
Did anyone do the Vice presidential question?
Did anyone do the constitutional rights question? Feel like I messed up by mainly talking about the supreme court
The president question was a beauty, so glad I spent 5 minutes deciding what one to do, there was so much to talk about.

Power of pursuasion is pork barrel spending and all that, then there's head of state singing treaties, commander in chief of armed forces, vetoes, executive orders, appointing judges, foreign policy.

There was sooo much talk about in this question and so many recent examples I crammed that I crammed I in

I said the power that is the most important depends on the political climate, make up of congress and something else, but power of persuasion is the most important as it is informal and doesn't have a check from other braches like the other powers do, also the power of persuasion allows the president to influence congress on domestic policy and legislation, something not enumerated and not intended by the constitution.
I felt so much more confident walking out of that exam than unit 3 :colondollar:

I answered: limitations on Supreme court, the vice president question and then advantages and disadvantages of amending constitution. Then for the 45 I did power of persuasion
Timing was a bit off though as I spent too long thinking about how to answer the 45

Overall, I thought it was a nice paper
Original post by MrsBanana01628
what did people write for the constitutional protection question? I think I did it wrong :frown:

Mostly wrote about the judiciary and just gave loads of cases,briefly mentioned the president and congress and how there is equal representation in the senate.
Original post by MelissaaC
Did anyone do the Vice presidential question?

me
Does anyone have any ideas of what the grade boundaries will be for 3C and 4C this year?:smile::smile:
Original post by wania98
me

Do you think it would be okay to say Cheney was powerful because of events and 9/11 which allowed him to be a key player in the Iraq war
Biden is fundemtnal in balancing Obama's ticket and acting as congressional liaison, especially under the fiscal cliff debates, vital to Obama maintaining somewhat good relations with the Senate
Biden is also powerful as Obama trusts him and has full faith in him, recently he went to Asia to meet with the president of South Korea and Japan to discuss debates over economic deals, basically acting as a president abroad.
I answered advantages and disadvantages of amendments, senate and house comparison and limits of sc powers. All 3 were nice and so I think that went well. 45 was good too talked about legislation, agenda, foreign policy and treaties
Original post by Anonymous_18
Oh no!:frown:

I didn't write any of that! I wrote about increased partisanship and its effects, foreign policy - "congress sleeping on the job", checks and balances to show they are still effective to some extent

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is exactly what i done as well talked about why congress is a broken branch. Talked about watchdog vs lapdog. Then about partisanship the fact they aren't fulfilling their constitutional roles - judiciary and executive took over (rights and war). 2013 gvt shutdown - 2010 obamacare and guantanomo bay opposition shows even in a united gvt they were ineffective in passing legislation. Checks and balances about effectiveness. Talked about the hearing of garland as well.
It was basically why they are a broken branch right?
Did anyone else do the congress 45 marker?
if so what did you say
Original post by MelissaaC
Do you think it would be okay to say Cheney was powerful because of events and 9/11 which allowed him to be a key player in the Iraq war
Biden is fundemtnal in balancing Obama's ticket and acting as congressional liaison, especially under the fiscal cliff debates, vital to Obama maintaining somewhat good relations with the Senate
Biden is also powerful as Obama trusts him and has full faith in him, recently he went to Asia to meet with the president of South Korea and Japan to discuss debates over economic deals, basically acting as a president abroad.

mine was similiar
i say
cheney had 8 votes in senate one that protected bush $1.6 billion tax cut
cheney hawkish approach to iraq and bush's lack expertise in foreign policy

Biden my examples were very lacking - said he was the insider and helped push ACA through 36 yr in congress
biden plays devils advocate - the attack dog - says what the president really wants too
Original post by 14grahamr
Does anyone have any ideas of what the grade boundaries will be for 3C and 4C this year?:smile::smile:

Probably average/high because they repeated questions and the questions in general were quite nice. Maybe like 65-70 for an 'A*'?
Original post by wania98
mine was similiar
i say
cheney had 8 votes in senate one that protected bush $1.6 billion tax cut
cheney hawkish approach to iraq and bush's lack expertise in foreign policy

Biden my examples were very lacking - said he was the insider and helped push ACA through 36 yr in congress
biden plays devils advocate - the attack dog - says what the president really wants too

That sounds really good!
Can we make a kind of mark scheme?

Quick Reply