The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Conventions of Modern Pastoral? Help!

I am studying post 1945 Pastoral poetry for A2 and I am having a hard time writing about poets such as Larkin in his poems 'Show Saturday' and 'Going Going' and other poets as well like Dylan Thomas. I just don't what is so 'pastoral' about the poems besides the mention of nature, memory and childhood?
Reply 1
Dylan Thomas' Fern Hill is a heavily idealised description of his country holiday home and so could be considered as a simulacral presentation of the countryside. It also has a pantheistic quality, which emphasises the idealistic tone further and encourages the environment to be considered as a traditional idyll or a locus amenus. There's also harmony between man and nature and he references stock figures of the pastoral mode like "huntsman and herdsman".

Larkin is a bit more abstract. Show Saturday abandons the idealised qualities of the countryside and instead places the focus on celebrating the true and realistic England. It's a celebration of community which is a pastoral feature and sort of shows a more modern way of incorporating nature into society and the fact that this show is what brings everyone from the urban towns together is significant. And again there's a definite sense of harmony due to the inclusive quality and use of lists.

Going Going is much more cynical and is a lamentation of the "true England" and there's a few lines in which he makes references to the simplistic countryside of his youth which I suppose is the Golden Age for him. He has an overriding reactionary view and you could say that his view of the past is idealised.

Larkin's use of the pastoral is for social commentary and Dylan Thomas is much more typically nostalgic and idealistic in his approach.
Reply 3
Original post by LucyImogenn
Dylan Thomas' Fern Hill is a heavily idealised description of his country holiday home and so could be considered as a simulacral presentation of the countryside. It also has a pantheistic quality, which emphasises the idealistic tone further and encourages the environment to be considered as a traditional idyll or a locus amenus. There's also harmony between man and nature and he references stock figures of the pastoral mode like "huntsman and herdsman".

Larkin is a bit more abstract. Show Saturday abandons the idealised qualities of the countryside and instead places the focus on celebrating the true and realistic England. It's a celebration of community which is a pastoral feature and sort of shows a more modern way of incorporating nature into society and the fact that this show is what brings everyone from the urban towns together is significant. And again there's a definite sense of harmony due to the inclusive quality and use of lists.

Going Going is much more cynical and is a lamentation of the "true England" and there's a few lines in which he makes references to the simplistic countryside of his youth which I suppose is the Golden Age for him. He has an overriding reactionary view and you could say that his view of the past is idealised.

Larkin's use of the pastoral is for social commentary and Dylan Thomas is much more typically nostalgic and idealistic in his approach.

Omg thank you so much! This really helps a lot. Also do you recommend doing post-1945 poetry for section A or B?
Reply 4
Really depends how comfortable you are with the other texts you've studied, what are those?
Original post by ribbon123
Omg thank you so much! This really helps a lot. Also do you recommend doing post-1945 poetry for section A or B?

I'm planning on doing She Stoops To Conquer for Section A but if it's a horrible question then I'm completely open to doing either Blake or post-1945. Just depends on what the questions are really which is a bit scary but oh well. If you're thinking of doing it for Section A make sure you have enough context points to put in there cos you'll need more than you usually do for Section B:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending