The Student Room Group

Decided to leave Islam after Orlando attack. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

I know that those aren't the exact word which is why I didn't add quotations.

I posted a link earlier about hurting other people in Islam and I'll forward it to you when I find it again!
Original post by pelaitsc45
How the **** can you say it's a religion of peace after this shooting and the countless other terrorist attacks in the name of Allah.

Jesus christ, it's not only disrespectful, but downright stupid.

Maybe because these "Muslims" use Islam as an excuse to murder?
Maybe because these "Muslims" don't actually understand Islam?
Maybe because the shooter was not religious at all and was gay and the attack had nothing to do with Islam?
🤔
Jesus christ, it's not only disrespectful, but downright stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by I am Iron Man
When you're passionate about something, and it gets attacked, you defend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And be ****ing rude about it too, right?
Original post by TrojanH
wasnt the killer gay himself lol

werent the killings due to his hatred of self?... he was found to have multiple homosexual relationships, an avid drinker, have multiple gay dating apps, he murdered those people in the night club as he was a regular there and loather the happiness of others.

if you leave islam, you leave it because of a decision made by yourself, uninfluenced by another persons actions, that's just pathetic

And where did his internalised homophobia come from? You act as if it came out of thin air. Muslim communities are extremely homophobic and the religion is very vocal in its opposition to homosexuality. Rates of homelessness and suicide among Muslim LGBT youth are statistically higher than other groups due to discrimination from their own communities, and you have the audacity to write something so ignorant as to suggest that the killings were due to 'self hatred' that had nothing to do with the religion? There are many gay people who struggle to come to terms with their sexuality, but they don't resolve to killing 50 innocent people. There was much more to this than a bit of self-loathing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Results
The guy was NOT Muslim.

If you had done any research on the incident you would know he was a GAY himself + the police shot a number of people too.

Can he not be gay and muslim?
Original post by Elivercury
Can he not be gay and muslim?

I am not religious.

Usually, when someone goes against a "major?" principle in a religion it's contradictory to say you still follow the religion, right?

He said himself, he wasn't religious. He just went by with that religion as a title.
That is your choice, but there are extremists in every religion/group - it doesn't mean that you have to be one of them. Religion is what you make of it, so you can still be Muslim but not take all of the things in the Quran literally, or support those things at all.
Original post by Results
I am not religious.

Usually, when someone goes against a "major?" principle in a religion it's contradictory to say you still follow the religion, right?

He said himself, he wasn't religious. He just went by with that religion as a title.

It's a valid point, but then there are plenty of LBGT+ muslims out there who consider themselves no less muslim than any other (and do not consider sexuality to be one of the "major" principles).

I am rather confused why he bothered claiming he was fighting for ISIS if he wasn't religious/muslim, but then he sounds like he was a very deranged person who hated himself and took that hate out on others.

Not that other muslims should be blamed or punished for his actions, any more than I should be punished if some non-religious person shoots a bunch of people.
Original post by silvercloud6
the holy Quran is a very intellectual book and you have to read the whole surah and deeply know its interpretation to know what Allah is truely saying. People without any context and understanding chop of quotes and flare it around which confuses many people , especially the non muslims and this makes muslims appear violent . However there is a meaning , a story , a lesson which can only be found if people verify the quote and read the whole part from where the quote is taken and take time to research and reflect on it . If you want to know more I would urge you to watch videos and lectures on islam and the Quran by eminent muslim scholars like Dr. Zakir Nayak and Nouman Ali Khan . It will help to clear the doubts.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I'm sorry, I CANNOT take you seriously if you think Zakir Naik is trustworthy and should be listened to! :rofl:
Original post by Elivercury
It's a valid point, but then there are plenty of LBGT+ muslims out there who consider themselves no less muslim than any other (and do not consider sexuality to be one of the "major" principles).

I am rather confused why he bothered claiming he was fighting for ISIS if he wasn't religious/muslim, but then he sounds like he was a very deranged person who hated himself and took that hate out on others.

Not that other muslims should be blamed or punished for his actions, any more than I should be punished if some non-religious person shoots a bunch of people.

ISIS (terrorist groups in general) do tend to target vulnerable people. In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if he was told he'd have to kill gay people to redeem himself (since he was gay too).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 150
the holy Quran is a very intellectual book and you have to read the whole surah and deeply know its interpretation to know what Allah is truely saying. People without any context and understanding chop of quotes and flare it around which confuses many people , especially the non muslims and this makes muslims appear violent . However there is a meaning , a story , a lesson which can only be found if people verify the quote and read the whole part from where the quote is taken and take time to research and reflect on it . If you want to know more I would urge you to watch videos and lectures on islam and the Quran by eminent muslim scholars like Dr. Zakir Nayak and Nouman Ali Khan . It will help to clear the doubts.

"Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: If you find anyone doing as Lot's people did, kill the one who does it, and the one to whom it is done."

http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/hadith/abudawud/038-sat.php#038.4447

Depends on how much weight you place in the Hadiths, though
Original post by macsalaama
ISIS (terrorist groups in general) do tend to target vulnerable people. In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if he was told he'd have to kill gay people to redeem himself (since he was gay too).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Entirely possible. I had also considered that much of his self hate over his homosexuality could come from it widely being considered banned in Islam. But given there are plenty of atheists who struggle with their sexuality and there is no evidence to suggest this it would be complete speculation. He also was apparently non-religious, but whether that is because he didn't care or because he didn't feel he deserved it we'll likely never know.

Regardless even if his decision to kill was rooted in his beliefs, it is no reason to tarnish anyone else who shares his faith (but not his beliefs).
really why so? I have seen some lectures of his and many people follow his lectures . Well can you tell me why . i would really like to know .

I shall jump into this on @nucdev's behalf.

Just because many people follow someone's lectures does not make them credible.

And in reply, do you really think what he says here makes him credible?

[video="youtube;q-mHAI6k0do"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mHAI6k0do[/video]
100% troll don't fall for it guys
:laugh:
Original post by Sara_t
Right, so if those verses can be interpreted in a more violent way, rather than the view that most Muslims hold, then the problem is with the individual. Not the Quran, or Islam itself. Me and many other Muslims have studied the quran in depth and there was nothing in there that radicalized me or anyone else I know. So then why is the religion to blame? If you look into the background of alot of these Isis terrorists, you'll find that they weren't even religious to begin with. It's this lack of knowlede that leads to them, like yourself, focusing solely on these 'violent' verses and taking them literally to justify their actions. If the problem was with Islam itself, the billions of Muslims worldwide would have blown everyone up by now.

Nonsense. Islam IS the problem, but most people, Muslims included, are decent who obviously don't go out of their way to kill others.

Original post by karishma9156
To all muslims on this page: don't waste your time on trying to convince these ignorants. Allah guides who He wills and misguides who He wills. We will not be questioned by Allah on the day of judgement regarding why this brother/sister left Islam. We will only be judged by what we have done. Besides, these people who are not muslims, have never read the Quran at all let alone study it. These non-muslims (and some muslims) are trying to portray that they know more about Quran and Islam than scholars who have devoted their whole lives to Islamic studies and yet think 100 times before making a comment on verses of the Quran or Hadith. I think it is absolutely futile to argue with ignorant people who are willing to stoop low to any stage to insult muslims and do not respect the beliefs of other people. My brothers and sisters, the more you argue with these ignorants (muslims or non-muslims) the more they will speak against Allah and His prophet. Let Allah be the judge. A kind request from a sister, please leave this thread and don't bother to reply to any of these people because they are only looking for faults within Islam not the truth. Let this brother/sister do whatever they, they want to leave Islam? fine let them do it. Allah does not need their worship. They will realise on the day of judgement.

Neither Allah nor Judgement Day are real and trying to subtly threaten those who don't believe in it is just as effective as threatening you with Thor's war hammer.
She has passed away.

RIP...
Literally waiting for someone to talk about Burma :sigh:

I'd also add Jainism as a religion of peace, but I think their ahimsa, if followed strictly, is rather impractical.
Original post by TrojanH
wasnt the killer gay himself lol

werent the killings due to his hatred of self?... he was found to have multiple homosexual relationships, an avid drinker, have multiple gay dating apps, he murdered those people in the night club as he was a regular there and loather the happiness of others.

if you leave islam, you leave it because of a decision made by yourself, uninfluenced by another persons actions, that's just pathetic

Oh **** he was gay? I just focused on them identifying the lad, didn't give enough ****s about his personal life lol but ahh ok gay.

Anyway he still pledged allegiance to ISIL apparently. They probably made him feel bad for being gay or summat. Dunno. Don't care.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Nonsense. Islam IS the problem, but most people, Muslims included, are decent who obviously don't go out of their way to kill others.

Neither Allah nor Judgement Day are real and trying to subtly threaten those who don't believe in it is just as effective as threatening you with Thor's war hammer.

I want an honest conversation with you and maybe we can take it to pm so you don't have to worry about others judging you but which [abrahamic] religion do you resent, ridicule whatever the most?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending