The Student Room Group

I used a translator for my French Speaking Prep and I got caught. Help!

Right, before you start calling me an idiot or whatever I would like to explain briefly what happened.

So I have a French Speaking exam soon, we have been asked to do prep at home for the questions we need to answer. I first wrote my answer in English (like I did for my writing) and then I translated it into French by myself, as I find translators are often inaccurate. However, sometimes when the dictionary isn't very helpful I use translators, sometimes for one sentence or just for one word, not for the whole thing. If there is a large translation I always usually go through it and check if it makes sense and change words, so it's essentially my work.

How I got caught?

My friend (sort of contemplating if he should still be my friend) baited me out by writing a note which hinted at me using a translator because my teacher asked me if I had anybody do the work for me and I said no, which is true.

Well, when she found the note she found out I "cheated" and I'm in this desperate situation now. There are two scenarios, one is ideal and one is worse case scenario. The ideal scenario is that I just have to go to the detention next week and that's it. Worst case scenario, is that they are going to talk to an assistant head, report me to the exam board (AQA) and seek consequences. I predict that they will probably ban me from exams on their exam boards, which will hinder my future as most of my exams next year are AQA.

Yes I'm a stupid idiot for using it in the first place, but please, someone assure me it won't go that far. I cannot afford to sit only Maths and ICT next year. Other subject controlled assessments going on right now doesn't really make my life easier as they take a lot of time.

Thanks...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lol
Reply 2
I'd speak to your teacher about it, and see if you'd be able to just go to the detention and re-write the ones you used a translator for. I'm sure it won't go very far- I doubt your school can afford to have a student be disqualified from most of their exams, so try not to worry too much
Lol im crying
How is this cheating. I did this and the teacher knew and she said nothing and she is strict af.
Not sure about your exam and what'll happen (and I think you just have to play it by ear and protest as much as you can) but tell the guy who used to be your friend to take a hike.

(that is, of course, unless I am misunderstanding and it is actual cheating.. in which case my advice does not apply as much)
(edited 7 years ago)
That "friend" seems like a massive Tw@t
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Right, before you start calling me an idiot or whatever I would like to explain briefly what happened.

So I have a French Speaking exam soon, we have been asked to do prep at home for the questions we need to answer. I first wrote my answer in English (like I did for my writing) and then I translated it into French by myself, as I find translators are often inaccurate. However, sometimes when the dictionary isn't very helpful I use translators, sometimes for one sentence or just for one word, not for the whole thing. If there is a large translation I always usually go through it and check if it makes sense and change words, so it's essentially my work.

How I got caught?

My friend (sort of contemplating if he should still be my friend) baited me out by writing a note which hinted at me using a translator because my teacher asked me if I had anybody do the work for me and I said no, which is true.

Well, when she found the note she found out I "cheated" and I'm in this desperate situation now. There are two scenarios, one is ideal and one is worse case scenario. The ideal scenario is that I just have to go to the detention next week and that's it. Worst case scenario, is that they are going to talk to an assistant head, report me to the exam board (AQA) and seek consequences. I predict that they will probably ban me from exams on their exam boards, which will hinder my future as most of my exams next year are AQA.

Yes I'm a stupid idiot for using it in the first place, but please, someone assure me it won't go that far. I cannot afford to sit only Maths and ICT next year. Other subject controlled assessments going on right now doesn't really make my life easier as they take a lot of time.

Thanks...

1. Is this for GCSE for A level?
2. It was speaking preparation .... so you didn't "cheat" . I dont' know 1 person who hasn't used google translate, **** i even did for my Spanish A Level.
How you prepare for your exams is your choice... Just teachers HATE google translate, because they feel you are not learning the language. So i dont see what AQA would do lol ?
Sorry… but you did cheat. Use of a translator like Google Translate is so painfully obvious and frankly if you translated the work, it probably wasn't even worth trying to revise it. :s-smilie:

If your teacher reports it to the exam board, you could either be failed for the speaking module or failed for the entire course or disqualified from AQA courses. As it's speaking prep, it probably won't go this far but they may enforce any of these sanctions. Hopefully they don't report it. I really can't have much sympathy with things like this. You could have used a number of tools that aren't translators, if only you were bothered about putting the time into it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
I don't get what's wrong here? This is a preparation for an exam, not exactly moderated in exam conditions is it?
My french mum wrote my french speaking and writing and the whole class knew including the teacher. We were allowed to the take draft with us in the speaking and writing assessments. If our speaking didn't last long enough, the teacher edited the recording to make them long enough. You got a detention for translating a word. LOL
Reply 11
Original post by iEthan
Sorry… but you did cheat. Use of a translator like Google Translate is so painfully obvious and frankly if you translated the work, it probably wasn't even worth trying to revise it. :s-smilie:

If your teacher reports it to the exam board, you could either be failed for the speaking module or failed for the entire course or disqualified from AQA courses. As it's speaking prep, it probably won't go this far but they may enforce any of these sanctions. Hopefully they don't report it. I really can't have much sympathy with things like this. You could have used a number of tools that aren't translators, if only you were bothered about putting the time into it.

I don't see how you can say it is cheating?

In the GCSE writing exam you are allowed to use a dictionary = translating.

GCSE speaking exams, you make the speaking prep not in exam conditions.. so i guess he did it at home? I can't see how that is against AQA regulations
LOL cheating? My teacher encouraged us to do it and we were in top set.
Original post by Yasdyxo
I don't see how you can say it is cheating?

In the GCSE writing exam you are allowed to use a dictionary = translating.

GCSE speaking exams, you make the speaking prep not in exam conditions.. so i guess he did it at home? I can't see how that is against AQA regulations

I know how GCSE prep works and I would agree with you. However, depending on the specific guidelines for MfL @ AQA, there could still be sanctions imposed. I do hope there isn't because it could seriously hinder OP's future. I reckon this is just their teacher trying to scare them though. Let's hope for OP's sake it is.
(edited 7 years ago)
***** slap that "friend"
Reply 15
It's a GCSE exam. They don't expect a 16 year old that's been learning basic French for a few years to write an eloquent A* worthy essay without a tiny bit of help. You only used it for a few words which I don't see how that is any different than using a dictionary (which is allowed). Don't panic you'll be fine.
Reply 16
Original post by iEthan
Use of a dictionary translation. :lol:

I know how GCSE prep works and I would agree with you. However, depending on the specific guidelines for MfL @ AQA, there could still be sanctions imposed. I do hope there isn't because it could seriously hinder OP's future. I reckon this is just their teacher trying to scare them though. Let's hope for OP's sake it is.

Ehh in my opinion it is :colondollar:

Hmm i dont know then, their school would be pretty crap to report them for using it just during preparation by themselves. :frown:
That is classed as cheating?

Pretty sure you can do whatever you want to prep for a language exam, as long as you haven't plagiarised anything. I had a German friend proofread my content for my speaking exam.

Teachers don't like you using translators as they can be inaccurate and you don't learn much, however it being a rule you can't use them? I would be very surprised if that was the case.
Surely if it's just prep..... then it's not a big deal?
What kind of "friend" is that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending