The Student Room Group

Labour MP Jo Cox killed in shooting incident in West Yorkshire

Scroll to see replies

An eye witness has been quoted stating he did not shout Britain First. Pretty underhand move by the media if that is true.
Terrible news, RIP :frown:

Anyone who attempts to use this to politically point-score is scum. No exceptions.
Original post by alevelstresss
I was talking primarily about radicalised western citizens. The ISIS militants living in Syria could well believe the delusion that they are living, but in terms of radicalised individuals in western society - they are just murderers taking out their anger on the world, Islam is just a veil they hide behind so they can live with their intentions.

You claim that all Western ISIS militants aren't really Muslims, but just disaffected individuals. This is crap. Many of those who travelled to join ISIS had been involved in Islamist circles for years (Khaled Sharouf being just one prominent example).

ISIS ideology is fundamentally centred around Islam. The people involved in ISIS dutifully follow all the Five Pillars of Islam, which means they are Muslims. Everything ISIS says is based on Islamic theology or history, and everyone who goes to ISIS training camps is marinated in Quranic scripture for months.

The ISIS militants living in Syria could well believe the delusion that they are living

It's unclear what this even means. ISIS killed gay men and Yezidis because these two groups are contrary to Islam. It's just that simple.
This is so sad. Jo was an amazing campaigner for Syrian refugees. 100% agree with @A Mysterious Lord noone should try and politicize this terrible incident. RIP Jo
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NickLCFC
Do you have any other witness statements on the Britain First claim. This is the only one I could find:

Aamir Tahir, of The Dry Clean Centre, said: "The lady I work with heard two loud bangs but I wasn't there, I was stuck in traffic at the time. I wish I was there because I would have tried to stop him. The whole street thinks it was me but it wasn't. Apparently the guy who did it shouted 'Britain first' and if I had been there I would have tackled him."

Interesting. I wonder if Tahir might have had a particular agenda in saying that if other witnesses do not corroborate it
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Why is that respectful? If he was from Britain First, it's completely disrespectful not to talk about it.

For example, if they had anything at all to do with her murder, then their leaders should be arrested for conspiracy.

It's respectful because an innocent woman has died and using her death to debate about the referendum, amongst other things, is just disgusting. It's also better because we would see more information on what happened after 24 hours had passed, and we wouldn't be basing our ideas on unreliable sources.

Please, respect her, and her children, at this horrible time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NickLCFC
Do you have any other witness statements on the Britain First claim. This is the only one I could find:

Aamir Tahir, of The Dry Clean Centre, said: "The lady I work with heard two loud bangs but I wasn't there, I was stuck in traffic at the time. I wish I was there because I would have tried to stop him. The whole street thinks it was me but it wasn't. Apparently the guy who did it shouted 'Britain first' and if I had been there I would have tackled him."

You wouldn't be questioning this if the attacker shouted "allahu akbar". Have some respect.

Not a reputable source, just a few people on Facebook claiming he's in the video.

I've watched it myself and I think he could easily be in it; all of the men are white, most look aged 40-55 and there are many of large build with short greying hair. Just like the attacker
Original post by Thutmose-III
Interesting. I wonder if Tahir might have had a particular agenda in saying that if other witnesses do not corroborate it

It doesn't seem like a very reliable statement. What I find the most strange is: "The whole street thinks it was me but it wasn't". :colonhash:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Shall we wait for the full facts to come out then? So far it appears that he was a far right fanatic Leaver, which is completely relevant. Time will tell, but I've removed the post saying UKIP may have been involved.

There's certainly nothing remotely petty about this and if it does turn out to have been a politically motivated attack, then we need a complete investigation to see if he was encouraged by others and if anyone else knew about his intentions.

We're all used to fairly robust but still fairly intelligent discussions with you, but for once, wind your ****ing neck in.

The woman's barely even cold and all you can do is bloviate and spout **** that, at best, is in extremely poor taste, and at worse is barely human.

The woman has died. Her young children have been left without a mother and all you can do is bleat on about conspiracy theories.

Seriously, just shut up.

You're doing yourself no favours and only make yourself look like a compete idiot.
Original post by Thutmose-III
You claim that all Western ISIS militants aren't really Muslims, but just disaffected individuals. This is crap. Many of those who travelled to join ISIS had been involved in Islamist circles for years (Khaled Sharouf being just one prominent example).

ISIS ideology is fundamentally centred around Islam. The people involved in ISIS dutifully follow all the Five Pillars of Islam, which means they are Muslims. Everything ISIS says is based on Islamic theology or history, and everyone who goes to ISIS training camps is marinated in Quranic scripture for months.

It's unclear what this even means. ISIS killed gay men and Yezidis because these two groups are contrary to Islam. It's just that simple.

You've overcomplicated this, twisted my words, ignored what I said and avoided the original point too many times - this debate is beyond recovery.
Original post by Jimmy Seville
Ofc conveniently it was Sky found a witness that would paint a 'leaver' in a bad light.

I know. Could you imagine if sky had an owner who was massively pro-leave like say Rupert Murdoch? Oh wait...
She has passed away. Really tragic and saddening
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
Interesting how none of the righties who would be crowding round this thread in glee had the attacker been shouting 'Allahu akbar' have commented yet on what is a horrible and callous attack on a lovely lady and by all accounts good MP.

They'll find excuses about how he had mental illnesses and therefore not his fault/not terrorism/hate act etc.
He is a terrorist!...oh wait he's not Muslim...my bad.
RIP. Absolutely awful and shocking. Those poor children.
Original post by Craig1998
It's respectful because an innocent woman has died and using her death to debate about the referendum is just disgusting. It's also better because we would see more information on what happened after 24 hours had passed, and we wouldn't be basing our ideas on unreliable sources.

Please, respect her, and her children, at this horrible time.

I'm completely outraged by her murder so stop telling me what I can and can't say about it.

An eyewitness heard him shouting 'Britain First', hence the discussion about that. Stop trying to censor it. If it turns out to be false, fair enough.

If your motives are good, that's fine, but to all those far-right people who infest TSR, trying to stop discussion at this time, my best advice to you all is to **** off.
This is so sad. Her poor children! I really hope this wasn't politically motivated. :frown:
Original post by Drewski
We're all used to fairly robust but still fairly intelligent discussions with you, but for once, wind your ****ing neck in.

The woman's barely even cold and all you can do is bloviate and spout **** that, at best, is in extremely poor taste, and at worse is barely human.

The woman has died. Her young children have been left without a mother and all you can do is bleat on about conspiracy theories.

Seriously, just shut up.

You're doing yourself no favours and only make yourself look like a compete idiot.

Of course it's incredibly horrible and sad, but I see the reverse going on here - potentially this was a far right fanatic murder of a leading politician and the usual suspects on TSR don't want that discussing.

Alternatively we just stop talking about it altogether, but if the thread is continuing, it's legitimate to talk about why this has happened.
Original post by Drewski

Seriously, just shut up.

Hmm, I wonder if you'll react the same away next time an attack by a member of another certain group occurs and there are 5,000 threads on here within thirty seconds

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending