The Student Room Group

Labour MP Jo Cox killed in shooting incident in West Yorkshire

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
This is both a tragedy and an absolute disgrace. Apparently we're now the kind of country that has political killings.

Tbh I think it will become a symptom of how aggressive and personal political oppositions are to each other now, I mean this EU "debate" as been a joke. Party leaders and hopefuls have done themselves a disservice with some of flat out lies and personal attacks on others. It'll end up like US style politics.
I'm disgusted by her murder - not only was she a Labour MP, but she was also from Yorkshire and stood for many things that I agreed with. RIP.
I found this excellent picture of Jo Cox with her husband and two kids during the "Battle of the Thames" protest and counterprotest between fleets of Remain and Leave boats earlier this week. It seems like natural territory for Cox as she and her husband and kids lived on a houseboat on the Thames near Tower Bridge. I personally will be voting for Leave, but I can't help but admire this woman who has clearly always been a fighter for what she believes in. RIP

Original post by squish562
I'm a Conservative and disagree with this MP's views but it is still sad that she died.

What relevance does that have at all?
She was brutally murdered, whatever her beliefs are, are totally irrelevant.
Original post by EuanF
It wasn't confirmed during the police statement/talk, and there's videos of eyewitnesses denying it.

Do you have a link to the videos of the eyewitnesses denying it? Just been searching for that, not found yet.

The Telegraph site said "witnesses" (plural) at 4.17pm. Not clear if they were just repeating a rumour, or they knew something.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/labour-mp-jo-cox-shot-in-leeds-witnesses-report/
Original post by Craig1998
Rip

Out of respect, we should leave the forum free of political statements (guns, referendum and Britain First) for 24 hours.

No.

If we did that every time someone got killed then we may as well close down the debate forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TorpidPhil
Regardless of what was said or not these sorts of attacks are inevitable to increase as the PC culture remains.

So you're saying if the hard right don't get what they want, they will become violent and start shooting MPs?

If that is the case then such groups should be banned as terrorist organiastions and their leaders locked up with the Islamists
Regardless of what was said or not these sorts of attacks are inevitable to increase as the PC culture remains.

Cultural differences between ethnicities are real. If these differences are not acknowledged there will be a lot of race on race violence in the future. And no, white people won't just be the victims.

You are justifying her murder on the grounds that people advocating PC policies deserve it?
Original post by TelAviv
Not a reputable source, just a few people on Facebook claiming he's in the video.

I've watched it myself and I think he could easily be in it; all of the men are white, most look aged 40-55 and there are many of large build with short greying hair. Just like the attacker

Pic of him in The Mirror - I'm not convinced he's in the video.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/first-picture-man-suspected-shooting-8210617?ICID=FB_mirror_main
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Of course it's incredibly horrible and sad, but I see the reverse going on here - potentially this was a far right fanatic murder of a leading politician and the usual suspects on TSR don't want that discussing.

Alternatively we just stop talking about it altogether, but if the thread is continuing, it's legitimate to talk about why this has happened.

Address my posts

I have linked you to PROOF this man has a history of mental health problems...No surprise YOU ARE IGNORING IT

How does this effect your belief this man was carrying out this attack due to his apparent political beliefs and your previous claims he did it for the leave campaign?

Do you concede it appears likely an attack due to his mental health and not his political ideology?

Just like this mentally ill man wasnt motivated by Islam

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11691451/Man-who-beheaded-woman-82-and-two-cats-in-45-minute-rampage-was-a-paranoid-schizophrenic.html

Eagerly awaiting your response
Original post by Thutmose-III
So you're saying if the hard right don't get what they want, they will become violent and start shooting MPs?

If that is the case then such groups should be banned as terrorist organiastions and their leaders locked up with the Islamists

Not what I'm saying as such. I mean, what do they want?

It isn't just the far right good sir. That's my point. It's the majority of the working class, at least up here. They absolutely despise Muslims. And it isn't just the working class that hate this ridiculous PC culture that our politics and academia has developed.

While most of such people will not resort to violence far more than just far-right groups will do so if things only continue to worsen. Therefore we need ideological change in how we deal with ethnic/cultural differences within society.
You are justifying her murder on the grounds that people advocating PC policies deserve it?

That is not what they said but based on what I have seen of your posts you just want to push your agenda.
So sad that idiots (yes idiots) consider this a proportionate response to someone that holds different views to them.

RIP Jo. My heart goes out to your husband and your children.
You have no idea if it's a conspiracy or not.

We shouldn't try and shut down any lines of enquiry or thinking about it - we don't know everything yet.

I know it's a conspiracy as surely as I know unicorns don't exist. 99.9% of conspiracy theories are false. But even leaving that aside, as the other user referred to it's ludicrous to start shrieking about conspiracies before we actually really know anything

All that tells us is that the person saying it is psychologically inclined to view everything through that paranoid lens
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Address my posts

I have linked you to PROOF this man has a history of mental health problems...No surprise YOU ARE IGNORING IT

How does this effect your belief this man was carrying out this attack due to his apparent political beliefs and your previous claims he did it for the leave campaign?

Do you concede it appears likely an attack due to his mental health and not his political ideology?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11691451/Man-who-beheaded-woman-82-and-two-cats-in-45-minute-rampage-was-a-paranoid-schizophrenic.html

you are one sour person aren't you?
Reply 175
Do you have a link to the videos of the eyewitnesses denying it? Just been searching for that, not found yet.

The Telegraph site said "witnesses" (plural) at 4.17pm. Not clear if they were just repeating a rumour, or they knew something.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/labour-mp-jo-cox-shot-in-leeds-witnesses-report/

https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/743464352066453504
Address my posts

Mental health and political ideology and religious affiliation are all interlinked. If you think you should kill someone because of their beliefs, the vast majority of the time you must be mentally ill.
Not what I'm saying as such. I mean, what do they want?

It isn't just the far right good sir. That's my point. It's the majority of the working class, at least up here. They absolutely despise Muslims. And it isn't just the working class that hate this ridiculous PC culture that our politics and academia has developed.

While most of such people will not resort to violence far more than just far-right groups will do so if things only continue to worsen. Therefore we need ideological change in how we deal with ethnic/cultural differences within society.

You pretty much confirmed that you are saying that if the hard right doesn't get what they want, they will become violent and start shooting politicians.

If that's the case they should be locked up with the Islamists. There must be zero tolerance for ideologically-motivated violence
Address my posts

Ah of course, every time a member of the far right commits an atrocity it's because they are 'mentally ill'.
We've already had one person on here blame the attack on PC culture, you almost couldn't make it up.
Original post by Thutmose-III
You pretty much confirmed that you are saying that if the hard right doesn't get what they want, they will become violent and start shooting politicians.

If that's the case they should be locked up with the Islamists. There must be zero tolerance for ideologically-motivated violence

The same could be said with the left and anti-trump protesters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending