The Student Room Group

Labour MP Jo Cox killed in shooting incident in West Yorkshire

Scroll to see replies

Original post by torpidphil
mental health and political ideology and religious affiliation are all interlinked. If you think you should kill someone because of their beliefs, the vast majority of the time you must be mentally ill.

lmfao wrong

Hitler and millions of nazis were mentally ill said nobody EVER
Original post by joecphillips
The same could be said with the left and anti-trump protesters.

Anyone who carries out politically motivated violence should be locked up, yes.

Why do you think I would disagree with that? Ohhh, it's because you're a mindless partisan and you see everything through the lens of "sides". **** off, seriously.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was organized and she drew the short straw to save the Remainian campaign.

Apparently the referendum might be delayed...how convenient just as Leave is starting to win...
Original post by Bornblue
Ah of course, every time a member of the far right commits an atrocity it's because they are 'mentally ill'.
We've already had one person on here blame the attack on PC culture, you almost couldn't make it up.

Mentally Ill... FACT

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Oakwell+Hall+thriving+with+help+of+volunteers.-a0227735906
Original post by Thutmose-III
You pretty much confirmed that you are saying that if the hard right doesn't get what they want, they will become violent and start shooting politicians.

If that's the case they should be locked up with the Islamists. There must be zero tolerance for ideologically-motivated violence

Of course the far far right will. And indeed they ought to be locked up. But it's wider than that. Because not just them will. And it won't be things as sophisticated as targeted assassinations. It just be "oh, look, that man is brown, therefore he's a muzzy, therefore we should go smack him in the face". And overall racial hatred both ways will just increase.

You can't lock up half the population of working class areas. But that is how they will feel - they already pretty much do and I see it just getting worse and worse and this applies to all generations, old, young, inbetween.
This is tragic

Hope for all the best for her family

Wonder if people will call this "terrorism"....
I don't normally get angry but this is one of the most disgusting things I have seen. My heart goes out to her husband and her children and I hope whoever is responsible rots in prison for the rest of his life.
Original post by otester
I wouldn't be surprised if this was organized and she drew the short straw to save the Remainian campaign.

Apparently the referendum might be delayed...how convenient just as Leave is starting to win...

Wow.
Just wow.
There are no words.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
lmfao wrong

Actually, I don't think it would be hard to say that the top Nazis were suffering from conditions outlined in DSM-V or ICD. Sociopathy is one such disorder. At the very least.
lmfao wrong

Of course they are...

People have a stupid view of mental illness where they think that it is some disease you contract.

Put simply if you think a fairy man talks to you telling you how to behave then you are mentally ill.

Likewise if you think a specific ethnic group are superior to others on the basis of genes to the extent that it justifies genocide you are clearly mentally ill.
Actually, I don't think it would be hard to say that the top Nazis were suffering from conditions outlined in DSM-V or ICD. Sociopathy is one such disorder. At the very least.

You think every single Nazi was a sociopath?

Every single person that kills another for their beliefs is a sociopath?
Original post by Student403
This is tragic

Hope for all the best for her family

If he acted pursuant to a political ideology (even if he is also mentally ill) then it is terrorism.
Nazis were the liberals of the time, even today we still see antisemitism in such parties...
Anyone who carries out politically motivated violence should be locked up, yes.

Why do you think I would disagree with that? Ohhh, it's because you're a mindless partisan and you see everything through the lens of "sides". **** off, seriously.

No the way you put it across came across as an attack on the right being the only violent side, I was pointing out that the left are just as violent.
(edited 7 years ago)

Should keep in mind the picture being circulated is evidently many years old, he looks about 35 in it.

I've based my description of him off the blurred images of his arrest. I know it's still unlikely he's actually in the video, but the one clear picture of him available at the moment doesn't seem reliable enough to assert he's not there.

Also, does it go against the rules to post the said video to TSR, either on a thread or via PM?
Original post by TorpidPhil
Of course they are...

People have a stupid view of mental illness where they think that it is some disease you contract.

Put simply if you think a fairy man talks to you telling you how to behave then you are mentally ill.

Likewise if you think a specific ethnic group are superior to others on the basis of genes to the extent that it justifies genocide you are clearly mentally ill.

You are confusing extreme ignorance with mental illness and ironically are being extremely ignorant
Original post by DiddyDec
No.

If we did that every time someone got killed then we may as well close down the debate forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's 24 hours. It's out of respect for somebody who has died, you can debate a million posts worth after that 24 hours, but our hearts need to be with Jo right now, not with furthering any political arguments using her.
If he acted pursuant to a political ideology (even if he is also mentally ill) then it is terrorism.

I agree completely. I'm just wondering how many will pin this on solely mental illness
Original post by otester

**** off.

Original post by Student403

What difference does it make?

Why are people so concerned with buzzwords?
You think every single Nazi was a sociopath?

I think all the top Nazis were, sure. Sociopaths at least, many of them were outright psychpaths and there's now little question that Hitler suffered from quite severe mental illness along with drug induced psychoses.

Every single person that kills another for their beliefs is a sociopath?

Every person that kills another in cold blood for an ideological belief suffers from some kind of anti-social or non-empathetic /anti-social personality disorder, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest