The Student Room Group

A woman's right to a surname

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elivercury
I suspect you'd find the majority undecided and planned to consider their options once they actually had a partner.

I mean, if my wife had an awesome surname I'd be inclined to take hers.

But the majority will decide to take their husbands name
Original post by Blue_Mason
But the majority will decide to take their husbands name

Possibly, possibly not. Incidentally even if we say you are correct, just because the majority do EVERYONE should? It's a ridiculous argument.
Possibly, possibly not. Incidentally even if we say you are correct, just because the majority do EVERYONE should? It's a ridiculous argument.

It is not ridiculous, as their is a reason in why the majority still follow the same tradition.
It is not ridiculous, as their is a reason in why the majority still follow the same tradition.

I mean by that logic the majority of people marry the opposite gender. Should we insist that gay people marry the opposite sex?

The majority of the UK is white, shall we tell black people to white up?
Most ppeople follow traditional, if i am not correct?
Tradition works, it has worked for our parents,grandparents,great grandparents.

That's precisely the point - we should be asking whether something is a good idea; not whether it's a traditional. Being traditional is not a virtue or advantage in itself.
I mean by that logic the majority of people marry the opposite gender. Should we insist that gay people marry the opposite sex?

The majority of the UK is white, shall we tell black people to white up?

No, and just plain no.
Thankfully the majority of uk citizens do not harbor such views but I am talking about universal traditions that transcends race,religion etc.
Original post by Implication
That's precisely the point - we should be asking whether something is a good idea; not whether it's a traditional. Being traditional is not a virtue or advantage in itself.

If women wanted change, they would imply it, they would demand it, like they demanded equal rights.
If women wanted change, they would imply it, they would demand it, like they demanded equal rights.

But they already have the right, so what is there to demand? Many women do keep their name or change to something that isn't their husband's name.

But I don't really see the relevance. Why should women take their husbands' names? An appeal to tradition is not a sensible answer, and nor is any information about what women currently do happen to do. We're asking what they should do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is just the normal way of doing things.
Reply 89
Not really, I think it's more symbolic of the joining of two people than anything to do with possession or whatever. As a guy, I wouldn't care if it was me or her that changed her name as long as one of us did. Also, the woman can just choose not to change her last name, which is what my parents did.
But they already have the right, so what is there to demand? Many women do keep their name or change to something that isn't their husband's name.

But I don't really see the relevance. Why should women take their husbands' names? An appeal to tradition is not a sensible answer, and nor is any information about what women currently do happen to do. We're asking what they should do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I have said before, a man proposes so he has that leverage, and it is tradition.
A man asks and presents a gift, so if she accepts, she must take on her husbands surname.
As I have said before, a man proposes so he has that leverage, and it is tradition.
A man asks and presents a gift, so if she accepts, she must take on her husbands surname.

But why? You're not providing justification for why that should happen except 'it does'!

Besides, men don't always propose anyway.
But why? You're not providing justification for why that should happen except 'it does'!

Besides, men don't always propose anyway.

Because I have mentioned numerous times before, so lets set this record straight.
A man is expected to propose, so he musters up the courage to propose, as a woman cannot push or nudge you, you make that decision.
A man proposes and presents a ring, and he covers other expenses.
Fact is most heterosexual women who want to get married, do want a man that can propose as it shows he is willing to make the first move for commitment.
Think of it like this if he has done everything right, she has no qualms in taking his surname.
Again the majority of people see no problem with a woman taking her husbands name.
It is not sexist, it os just apart of tradition ao just accept it
Because I have mentioned numerous times before, so lets set this record straight.
A man is expected to propose, so he musters up the courage to propose, as a woman cannot push or nudge you, you make that decision.
A man proposes and presents a ring, and he covers other expenses.
Fact is most heterosexual women who want to get married, do want a man that can propose as it shows he is willing to make the first move for commitment.
Think of it like this if he has done everything right, she has no qualms in taking his surname.
Again the majority of people see no problem with a woman taking her husbands name.
It is not sexist, it os just apart of tradition ao just accept it

But you're still just stating what the tradition is, not explaining why anyone should follow it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But you're still just stating what the tradition is, not explaining why anyone should follow it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have given you perfect examples, heck you can even ask people who are married and they will say the same thing.
It is not hard to understand.
I suspect you'd find the majority undecided and planned to consider their options once they actually had a partner.

I mean, if my wife had an awesome surname I'd be inclined to take hers.

Ngl, I read that entire conversation thinking you were a woman. You even had a little woman voice in my head.

Would rep all of your posts if I could.

I am not a sexist

This made me laugh; he never said you were. He didn't even need to imply it because you consistently imply it yourself.
Remember: "I'm not trying to be sexist, it just comes naturally 💁"
Original post by IFoundWonderland
Ngl, I read that entire conversation thinking you were a woman. You even had a little woman voice in my head.

Would rep all of your posts if I could.

This made me laugh; he never said you were. He didn't even need to imply it because you consistently imply it yourself.
Remember: "I'm not trying to be sexist, it just comes naturally 💁"

I have a strong opinion, and l have been wrongfully labeled a few unkind words, but back on subject.
Do you agree with my opinion?
I have a strong opinion, and l have been wrongfully labeled a few unkind words, but back on subject.
Do you agree with my opinion?

No. I think you're a moron.
Original post by IFoundWonderland
No. I think you're a moron.

Says the person who has failed to come up with an intelligible response.
Says the person who has failed to come up with an intelligible response.

I'm unsure if you meant to say intelligible or intelligent.

Intelligible means comprehensible. If you struggle to understand what I said, it merely renders it absolutely true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending