The Student Room Group

Asked to withdraw from 3rd year of medical school

Hello TSR, i'm new around here and in some sort of predicament.

I transferred to a UK medical school in 2014 as part of a twinning programme. I didnt take the year too serious and did terrible at the 2014/15 end of year exams. Failed my written paper, OSCEs and a scientific basis paper too.

I was subsequently asked to repeat the year and did so. My results were just announced. I had improved in grades, did much better for OSCE this time round (failed 2 stations compared with 8 last year). However, I had a borderline fail for the clinical paper and the scientific paper.

The OSCE and the clinical paper combined gave me a grade of 55% but was considered an overall fail due to a borderline fail on the MCQ component (34/69). I have subsequently been informed that due to failing two major modules twice in a row, I have been asked to withdraw.

The only advice I've managed to receive so far is to try an appeal the decision, however, the rules regarding appeals are strict and only if you have new evidence of exceptional circumstances or an issue with procedural irregularity.

I've been reflecting on this. Obviously this isn't something that I wanted and I've tried my best in terms of revision and practise. I'm glad that there's been an improvement in my OSCEs and I did very well for the short written component. It was mainly the MCQ papers I struggled with.

Will like some advice if possible. I was thinking of appealing under a procedural irregularity as the uni states that students are only normally permitted 2 attempts at an exam. However, they've changed the assessment requirement such that all students now have to pass ALL components of every paper in order to pass the module. Previously, if you have failed the clinical paper, but passed OSCEs, you would have been granted an overall pass in the module of Clinical Practice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fullwaterr
Hello TSR, i'm new around here and in some sort of predicament.

I transferred to a UK medical school in 2014 as part of a twinning programme. I didnt take the year too serious and did terrible at the 2014/15 end of year exams. Failed my written paper, OSCEs and a scientific basis paper too.

I was subsequently asked to repeat the year and did so. My results were just announced. I had improved in grades, did much better for OSCE this time round (failed 2 stations compared with 8 last year). However, I had a borderline fail for the clinical paper and the scientific paper.

The OSCE and the clinical paper combined gave me a grade of 55% but was considered an overall fail due to a borderline fail on the MCQ component (34/69). I have subsequently been informed that due to failing two major modules twice in a row, I have been asked to withdraw.

The only advice I've managed to receive so far is to try an appeal the decision, however, the rules regarding appeals are strict and only if you have new evidence of exceptional circumstances or an issue with procedural irregularity.

I've been reflecting on this. Obviously this isn't something that I wanted and I've tried my best in terms of revision and practise. I'm glad that there's been an improvement in my OSCEs and I did very well for the short written component. It was mainly the MCQ papers I struggled with.

Will like some advice if possible. I was thinking of appealing under a procedural irregularity as the uni states that students are only normally permitted 2 attempts at an exam. However, they've changed the assessment requirement such that all students now have to pass ALL components of every paper in order to pass the module. Previously, if you have failed the clinical paper, but passed OSCEs, you would have been granted an overall pass in the module of Clinical Practice.

I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances. I'm afraid that I am unable to add anything particularly helpful. But I don't think you can appeal on these grounds. As far as I am aware (and as our medical school states) it is a GM requirement that students pass all parts of a clinical exam in one sitting. I.e. at our medical school if you fail the OSCE but pass the written, you have to retake and pass both exams again.
You transferred? Any options re your former institution?
Reply 3
Original post by ForestCat
I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances. I'm afraid that I am unable to add anything particularly helpful. But I don't think you can appeal on these grounds. As far as I am aware (and as our medical school states) it is a GM requirement that students pass all parts of a clinical exam in one sitting. I.e. at our medical school if you fail the OSCE but pass the written, you have to retake and pass both exams again.

The rules at mine last year was that OSCE was the major component. I looked at the published results and 11 people who had failed the clinical paper last year but passed the OSCEs, they were granted an overall pass on the module.

This year, the requirement has changed such that you have to pass the OSCEs and clinical paper and that a resit is permitted if you have failed either one.

My school is refusing me the option to resit as they treat this as a second attempt at the exams. Otherwise, normally, quoting the assessment rules in verbatim, "Students who achieve a final mark of above 50% but fail either the written or OSCE element will be permitted to resit only the element failed."

I have never been allowed for a resit as last year, the requirement clearly states that I am not eligible. ". Students who achieve a mark of below 50% will be required to repeat both elements." However, this time round, despite fulfilling the criteria to resit, but the university is stating that as this is a failed second attempt, I am required to withdraw.
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
You transferred? Any options re your former institution?

My former institution is in a different country. My twinning programme was as part of a global medical training programme. Preclinicals in Malaysia, clinical years in either UK/US/Australia. I was matched to a medical school in the UK.

I admit that in my first year here, I had some adjustment difficulties as well as not putting in sufficient effort, which resulted in failing all components of the 3rd year exams. I was not offered a resit as I did not fulfill the requirement for them. A repeat year was offered.

Throughout the repeat, along with the usual teachings and student obligations, I felt that I worked harder and I am very pleased with my OSCE and written paper. However, I have a borderline fail in the clinical MCQ and in the scientific basis MCQ.

A student would normally be permitted to resit in the current circumstances but my school is arguing that this is my second attempt and hence, a resit will not be offered. I will like to argue this as a procedural irregularity as I feel that resits and repeat exams should not be taken in the same light. Resits are usually 2 months away and a student can spend time focusing on the components that s/he has failed. A repeat, other than the financial burden as an international student, one has to go through the same training and obligations as a normal student as well as the full spectrum of exams. I feel that this is unfair and I was wondering what are your thoughts regarding this.
My former institution is in a different country. My twinning programme was as part of a global medical training programme. Preclinicals in Malaysia, clinical years in either UK/US/Australia. I was matched to a medical school in the UK.

I admit that in my first year here, I had some adjustment difficulties as well as not putting in sufficient effort, which resulted in failing all components of the 3rd year exams. I was not offered a resit as I did not fulfill the requirement for them. A repeat year was offered.

Throughout the repeat, along with the usual teachings and student obligations, I felt that I worked harder and I am very pleased with my OSCE and written paper. However, I have a borderline fail in the clinical MCQ and in the scientific basis MCQ.

A student would normally be permitted to resit in the current circumstances but my school is arguing that this is my second attempt and hence, a resit will not be offered. I will like to argue this as a procedural irregularity as I feel that resits and repeat exams should not be taken in the same light. Resits are usually 2 months away and a student can spend time focusing on the components that s/he has failed. A repeat, other than the financial burden as an international student, one has to go through the same training and obligations as a normal student as well as the full spectrum of exams. I feel that this is unfair and I was wondering what are your thoughts regarding this.

Seems like a legit line of argument, especially if you're emphasising that you know you made mistakes last year and you feel those are now behind you. You want to be given a full and fair second chance. Don't know if it will work but worth a try.
Reply 6
Sorry to hear about the difficult position you find yourself in. I would strongly recommend appealing on the grounds of procedural irregularity, you have nothing to lose. I am also in complete agreement with the above advice.
Reply 7
I apologise if there are certain aspects of education in UK i might not be familiar with. I have been advised by school advisers that it is better to submit an appeal on the basis of an exceptional mitigating factor rather than a procedural irregularity. An adviser had chided me for not stating to the exam board earlier than I was actually undergoing a bereavement during my examination period. I wasn't aware that there actually is a provision in the form of the mitigating factor (In my school, this is called an exceptional circumstance, and while they have constantly sent us reminders, it did not occur to me that I could have inform the school I was undergoing bereavement. Had always thought it was for students with learning or physical disabilities).

At this stage, my school is being rather unsympathetic to my requests for support. Their stance is that I have 2 attempts at the examinations and have still failed them. Despite my protest that the assessment criteria has changed, along with the resit criteria (more students have failed exams this time, more has been allowed to go for resits if it was their first attempt), I have not been offered a resit chance. The school's counterclaim is that examination assessment standards are expected to be adjusted as and when they see fit. If others can do it, why can't you?
Surprised they won't let you repeat, with you being an international student/ cash cow. I'm very sorry to hear of your position, never the less. Every medic I've met is kind, hard-working and conscientious; I'm sure you are too.

Talking objectively, you have to understand the university's regulation. If you have failed the tests twice, for whatever reasons, when you cannot assure them you will improve, why should they put their resources into you. When they could instead be using it to fund high-flyers. Our country's desperately short of Drs.

Can you not look abroad to complete your studies?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Surprised they won't let you repeat, with you being an international student/ cash cow. I'm very sorry to hear of your position, never the less. Every medic I've met is kind, hard-working and conscientious; I'm sure you are too.

Talking objectively, you have to understand the university's regulation. If you have failed the tests twice, for whatever reasons, when you cannot assure them you will improve, why should they put their resources into you. When they could instead be using it to fund high-flyers. Our country's desperately short of Drs.

Can you not look abroad to complete your studies?

I appreciate the concern. My fees as an international medical student are 10x that of a local student.

The fact remains that there has been an improvement at all levels. Some very good improvements and some very marginal improvements. However, the school's stand is that with new assessment criteria, they are an overall fail still. You are right in that they have these regulation of only 2 attempts before withdrawal. It is simply regulations.

The part of resource allocation is simply a non issue when half of 3rd year is a self taught module in the form of online e-lectures, and 20% of the days i am with my clinical group and I am the group lead trying to find a clinical tutor in hospital to take us for bedside teaching :|
I appreciate the concern. My fees as an international medical student are 10x that of a local student.

The fact remains that there has been an improvement at all levels. Some very good improvements and some very marginal improvements. However, the school's stand is that with new assessment criteria, they are an overall fail still. You are right in that they have these regulation of only 2 attempts before withdrawal. It is simply regulations.

The part of resource allocation is simply a non issue when half of 3rd year is a self taught module in the form of online e-lectures, and 20% of the days i am with my clinical group and I am the group lead trying to find a clinical tutor in hospital to take us for bedside teaching :|

Could you try to make an appeal on the basis of the bereavement that you were undergoing?

I mean, presumably that did affect your ability to study etc.
Reply 11
Could you try to make an appeal on the basis of the bereavement that you were undergoing?

I mean, presumably that did affect your ability to study etc.

Will be giving it a go. I can only hope that they will allow it as a mitigating circumstance and allow me to go for a resit. I did not know that bereavements were covered under such mitigating circumstance.

Will be speaking with the appeals adviser soon. I think she might want to help refine the appeal that I've written in a presentable fashion. I will update this thread along the way. In the meantime, if anyone has ever been in my situation, I appreciate if you could share your experience.
Will be giving it a go. I can only hope that they will allow it as a mitigating circumstance and allow me to go for a resit. I did not know that bereavements were covered under such mitigating circumstance.

Will be speaking with the appeals adviser soon. I think she might want to help refine the appeal that I've written in a presentable fashion. I will update this thread along the way. In the meantime, if anyone has ever been in my situation, I appreciate if you could share your experience.

I guess you would want to be giving them good reasons why you didn't declare it in the first place. Eg, you weren't aware that it would have been considered etc.

Medical schools tend to be more sympathetic if you declare such things before the exams, rather than after you have failed a resit. Therefore, I think you'd probably want to explain that clearly.
Ask to speak to a welfare tutor who can talk to you about any possible appeals process.

Most unis have an official document on ECs and appeals and there's usually a support office somewhere to ask about them.

Sorry to hear about it, a few mates of mine have had to withdraw and they're successfully pursing further avenues so don't think it's a be all end all!
Reply 14
I guess you would want to be giving them good reasons why you didn't declare it in the first place. Eg, you weren't aware that it would have been considered etc.

Medical schools tend to be more sympathetic if you declare such things before the exams, rather than after you have failed a resit. Therefore, I think you'd probably want to explain that clearly.

Appreciate that tip. As I've said, I'm not local and not from this part of the world and I never was aware there was a provision of a mitigating circumstance for bereavement. I'm not sure how are they going to consider that factor right now. Looking back, I email a senior tutor just after the first day of exams to ask if it will be alright to speak to her about my concerns with the bereavement and exams, but due to miscommunication(?), I was denied a meeting. As for the 5 days post exam to submit any mitigating factor, reiterate once again, the only reason that I did not do that was because I was unaware this is meant to be a provision as such.

As for failing a resit. I have never ever gone for a resit. Last year, because I failed all exams, I was ineligible for a resit and had to repeat the year. This year, I fulfilled the option for a resit, but once again, the school's stance is that this is a 2nd attempt at exams, no proceeding on to resits to try and salvage the year.

I understand the suggestions of looking elsewhere for other options should this not work out. I am not exactly young, approaching 30 and I do not even have a degree. With all the investments in terms of international fees, it is extremely difficult to not try and push ahead with this. Friends are telling me to be positive for now and focus on the appeals aspect, and only think about an alternative if the appeal has failed.
In response to your PM: sorry to hear about the situation you're in. I think everyone else has given good advice and to be honest I don't have much more to add to that. Appeals are tough, and I'm not sure that your circumstances would class as procedural irregularity - but at the same time, you have nothing to lose by trying, except the time and effort it takes to appeal. I think it would certainly be worth attempting retrospective mitigation with your bereavement. The main sticking point with retrospective mitigation is having a good reason why it is retrospective - and I think you could say that as an international student you were not aware of what counts as mitigating circumstances. This would be particularly relevant if you can prove that your former institution would not have classed this as mitigating circumstances. Remember that you would need proof of the bereavement (normally a death certificate, your appeals advisor could advise if there is anything else they would accept). You would also need to explain in good detail in your appeal how the bereavement affected your studies - either the work / preparation during the year, or the exam period itself. If you had to go home during this time, explain how that impacted you - or if you were not able to go due to financial or study reasons, explain that too. The appeals board will need to know in clear detail just how you were impacted - such as poor sleep, time spent staying in touch with family impacting on time to study, stress / worry impacting concentration, etc etc.
Retrospective mitigation is difficult to achieve - but worth a try.
Remember to do all the usual important things - keep to deadlines for appeals procedures, keep copies of everything, get receipts when you hand things in / send by recorded post. If there is anything that you are going to ned to submit as evidence (such as certificates, doctor's letters detailing any visits you had during your bereavement) then start organising that now as it can take a surprising amount of time to get the evidence together and that is a very important part of an appeal.
Best of luck to you.
Reply 16
Just as an update to whoever might be interested or find this useful.

I submitted an appeal to the school on two grounds. 1, A mitigating circumstance of bereavement during the examination period. 2, a procedural irregularity where I was never offered the opportunity to resit, despite fulfilling the requirement to attempt a resit, which is currently disallowed under the clause that a student has 2 normal attempts at a module, failing which, normally withdrawn.

I was asked to present my case today at an appeals hearing comprising 4 panel members, each professors of different schools within the university. I presented my case clearly, seeking for a resit on the basis that I did poorly for multiple choice papers because I was undergoing a bereavement at that time. I also argued that as a result of the change to disallow compensation, I still have not been offered the opportunity to resit an exam in my two years of doing 3rd-year medicine.

The decision was made to reject my appeal and that the school's decision to withdraw me from the course is to be upheld.

Not sure how to proceed from here. I do not even have a bachelor's degree to my name. I'm just wondering if I want to continue ahead with Medicine, what are my options? All suggestions appreciated.
Reply 17
I'm in a similar situation to you, OP. I failed my final year, although I'm still waiting to hear back from the university about my appeal.

Your options for continuing medicine are a bit limited but not hopeless. You won't be able to apply to any of the UK medical schools; none of them accept students who withdrew from another medical course. There are medical schools in Europe, particularly Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, and the Czech Republic which will accept students who have withdrawn from a course. However, you'd have to learn the language before you can start the clinical years and I don't know if you would be able to work in Malaysia after graduating (assuming you wanted to go back to Malaysia). If you want to work in the UK, the GMC does recognize the degrees from these universities. The problem is that the courses generally include an intern year, meaning you would have to apply for full registration rather than provisional. This means you'd be ineligible to apply for F1 jobs through FPAS, but rather have to apply for a Locum Appointment for Training (F2) post before you would be able to start specialty training, and there are very few of these posts available. I think the count for last year was only 230, so as you can imagine there are far more applicants than places. You would be able to apply for Locum Appointment for Service posts and do those for a year or two to build up your resume, and there are plenty of those available. I'm not sure what your nationality/visa status is, and that could make things much more complicated. Also, the rules are probably going to change within the next few years now that Brexit happened.

I haven't looked at medical schools in Asia, but I imagine some of them might be recognized in Malaysia.

You could also consider speaking with a lawyer/advisor about submitting an appeal to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator. They're an external body which reviews academic appeals and might be able to overturn the university's decision. I suspect that the chances are fairly slim of it being successful, but considering how much time, money, and effort you've already spent at medical school it would probably be worth paying a lawyer £150 to see if they can find any procedural irregularities you had overlooked.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, and I'm very sorry, but you might have to consider what options you have if you decide medicine is no longer an option. Have you spoken with anyone at your university about transferring to another degree program? You should have 2 years worth of credits and could easily put them to use studying public health, biomedical sciences, etc. You could consider doing nursing, although the majority of universities in the UK don't accept international students for nursing. A few of the ones that do are still offering places through clearing at the moment (go to clearing.telegraph.co.uk and search "nursing" and "adult nursing").

I'm wishing you all the best. I know things must seem pretty bleak right now, but you'll pull through this.
Reply 18
Original post by Nessmuk
I'm in a similar situation to you, OP. I failed my final year, although I'm still waiting to hear back from the university about my appeal.

Your options for continuing medicine are a bit limited but not hopeless. You won't be able to apply to any of the UK medical schools; none of them accept students who withdrew from another medical course. There are medical schools in Europe, particularly Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, and the Czech Republic which will accept students who have withdrawn from a course. However, you'd have to learn the language before you can start the clinical years and I don't know if you would be able to work in Malaysia after graduating (assuming you wanted to go back to Malaysia). If you want to work in the UK, the GMC does recognize the degrees from these universities. The problem is that the courses generally include an intern year, meaning you would have to apply for full registration rather than provisional. This means you'd be ineligible to apply for F1 jobs through FPAS, but rather have to apply for a Locum Appointment for Training (F2) post before you would be able to start specialty training, and there are very few of these posts available. I think the count for last year was only 230, so as you can imagine there are far more applicants than places. You would be able to apply for Locum Appointment for Service posts and do those for a year or two to build up your resume, and there are plenty of those available. I'm not sure what your nationality/visa status is, and that could make things much more complicated. Also, the rules are probably going to change within the next few years now that Brexit happened.

I haven't looked at medical schools in Asia, but I imagine some of them might be recognized in Malaysia.

You could also consider speaking with a lawyer/advisor about submitting an appeal to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator. They're an external body which reviews academic appeals and might be able to overturn the university's decision. I suspect that the chances are fairly slim of it being successful, but considering how much time, money, and effort you've already spent at medical school it would probably be worth paying a lawyer £150 to see if they can find any procedural irregularities you had overlooked.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, and I'm very sorry, but you might have to consider what options you have if you decide medicine is no longer an option. Have you spoken with anyone at your university about transferring to another degree program? You should have 2 years worth of credits and could easily put them to use studying public health, biomedical sciences, etc. You could consider doing nursing, although the majority of universities in the UK don't accept international students for nursing. A few of the ones that do are still offering places through clearing at the moment (go to clearing.telegraph.co.uk and search "nursing" and "adult nursing":wink:.

I'm wishing you all the best. I know things must seem pretty bleak right now, but you'll pull through this.

I appreciate the kind words. All the best on your appeal.

It's a lot of money (parents' money) down the drain. I'm trying to think logically of what are my available options, while at least keeping the hopes of continuing in Medicine up. If continuing to pursue the course in the UK is a lost cause, does anyone else know of any precedence of applying as a graduate entry, or to other English-speaking countries? (Looking at NZ, Australia)

I was given advice to consider other career pathway earlier on, however, it was pushed to the back of my mind as I wanted to focus on the appeals process. I think I brought my best case forward. It is such a pity the school till now has refused to even let me attempt to remediate by means of a resit. I don't know if there is any merit to bringing it up to OIA. Or should I at this stage just commence planning for the future, since my medicine career pathway through a UK school has been dashed at the moment?
Really sorry to hear this. *Try to be kind to yourself. *Give yourself some time to take this in, and then you can start to think about onward plans. *

Have you thought about asking to transfer to another course for one year and transferring your first two years of credits, so that you can at least make them stand for something? *I'm sure that this is probably not possible in all unis, but when I intercalated, in my intercalation group there was a former dentistry student who had been asked to withdraw who was being allowed to do a year with the intercalation students so that she could do a dissertation and get a BSc from it. **

To be honest, if the appeal has been unsuccessful at this stage then the chances of it being successful at OIA are very remote. *I guess the two questions you need to ask yourself are: [1] Have you got the physical energy and emotional resilience to keep trying, and [2] will you kick yourself later if you never exhausted every last possible available chance? *Not that I see this as a 'chance' per se, but you know yourself and how you tick - some people will draw more inner peace from being able to say "I exhausted every possible avenue, there was nothing else to do" so that they're not plagued by 'what ifs', whereas others will say "I can best look after myself now by accepting that I've taken this as far as it can reasonably go and it's not worth pushing an appeal further given the such slim chance of success".

Very best wishes to you.*

Latest

Trending

Trending