The Student Room Group

Moral dilemma about friends and their grades...

Hi,

My university grades and place are secure so I'm quite happy. One of my friends, as part of the conditions for his course, has to attend the Summer school - which is fine, he's met all his conditions other than that too.

However, two students who were on my course this year were also attending the summer school as part of their conditional offer. But they expressed that they hadn't actually met the grade condition for their courses e.g The course wanted them to get a B in the graded unit but they both got C's.

I told them that their best option was to speak to the university about seeing if they could work something out but I think they're considering just attending the summer school and pretending that they've got the grades.

I'm really torn as I dislike the dishonesty of these students but I empathise that they want to attend the university.

I can't even comprehend the legal ramifications... I'm pretty sure it's fraud or something to lie to the university about the grades received.

I'm probably going to give them a few weeks to come clean to the university and if they don't, I know in my heart of hearts that I'll probably have to inform the university - despite knowing these students for 2 years...

I feel like an awful person... Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do?
None of your business.

The Unis will know anyway or if they are made aware, then that will reflect badly on them if they wnat future contact.
By all means inform your friends as a friend i.e of the risk they take , but you should really aboid reporting them imo. You arent being a friend by doing that.
Original post by 999tigger
None of your business.

The Unis will know anyway or if they are made aware, then that will reflect badly on them if they wnat future contact.
By all means inform your friends as a friend i.e of the risk they take , but you should really aboid reporting them imo. You arent being a friend by doing that.

That's... really good advice. Maybe I was a thinking a little too much with my head and not my heart. I've told them about the risks but I'll leave it up to the Uni to pick it up.

Although I'm not technically friends with the students, we have been on the same course for a year and I didn't like the idea of reporting them.I guess I'll just try to push it to the back of my mind and let it play out however it's supposed to...

Thanks.
Original post by CadmiumVulpix
That's... really good advice. Maybe I was a thinking a little too much with my head and not my heart. I've told them about the risks but I'll leave it up to the Uni to pick it up.

Although I'm not technically friends with the students, we have been on the same course for a year and I didn't like the idea of reporting them.I guess I'll just try to push it to the back of my mind and let it play out however it's supposed to...

Thanks.

NP. I have a big belief in karma. If you do as I suggest then you have made your moral protest, but gauged it in a way of being helpful, then its up to them. Dont push it too much and if you know for a fact what happens to people who dont have the grades, then you cna point out the risks, then its up to them.

If they do get caught it isnt your fault.
If they dont get caught and their attitude is to lie or deceive, then it will catch them out sooner or later, but it inst your problem and you dont have to be involved with getting someone else into trouble.

Without looking at the rules I couldnt say. is the offer of the summer school conditional on the grades? Surely if the Uni took it seriously and it was importnat, then they would have some way of checking. If found out it would burn their bridges for anything further to do with the Uni. Silly risk.
Original post by 999tigger
NP. I have a big belief in karma. If you do as I suggest then you have made your moral protest, but gauged it in a way of being helpful, then its up to them. Dont push it too much and if you know for a fact what happens to people who dont have the grades, then you cna point out the risks, then its up to them.

If they do get caught it isnt your fault.
If they dont get caught and their attitude is to lie or deceive, then it will catch them out sooner or later, but it inst your problem and you dont have to be involved with getting someone else into trouble.

Without looking at the rules I couldnt say. is the offer of the summer school conditional on the grades? Surely if the Uni took it seriously and it was importnat, then they would have some way of checking. If found out it would burn their bridges for anything further to do with the Uni. Silly risk.

That's a great way to think about it. Their conditional offers were for a HNC, so they had to pass 12/15 credits, get a B in the graded unit and then attend the summer school and pass that and then they'll get the place at university. I know one of them achieved 15/15 credits which might go in her favour if she speaks to the uni.

I'm sure the uni has things in place to check - I guess I was so busy being frazzled that for some reason, that wasn't my brain's first stop lol I'll just leave the matter alone, if they're caught then they're caught but I really don't want to get involved.
That's a great way to think about it. Their conditional offers were for a HNC, so they had to pass 12/15 credits, get a B in the graded unit and then attend the summer school and pass that and then they'll get the place at university. I know one of them achieved 15/15 credits which might go in her favour if she speaks to the uni.

I'm sure the uni has things in place to check - I guess I was so busy being frazzled that for some reason, that wasn't my brain's first stop lol I'll just leave the matter alone, if they're caught then they're caught but I really don't want to get involved.

You wont have to have the guilt then as well, which was mostly my point of there being a better solution for you. I'm sure the Uni will know what the grades are.

I cant see how they et their grades, but for all you know their may be communications or checks that happen that prevent them going or the uni uses its discretion to lower their offer. It will happen with a lot of A level students who dont get the grade for the conditional offer. You go yours and thats enough.
Hi,

My university grades and place are secure so I'm quite happy. One of my friends, as part of the conditions for his course, has to attend the Summer school - which is fine, he's met all his conditions other than that too.

However, two students who were on my course this year were also attending the summer school as part of their conditional offer. But they expressed that they hadn't actually met the grade condition for their courses e.g The course wanted them to get a B in the graded unit but they both got C's.

I told them that their best option was to speak to the university about seeing if they could work something out but I think they're considering just attending the summer school and pretending that they've got the grades.

I'm really torn as I dislike the dishonesty of these students but I empathise that they want to attend the university.

I can't even comprehend the legal ramifications... I'm pretty sure it's fraud or something to lie to the university about the grades received.

I'm probably going to give them a few weeks to come clean to the university and if they don't, I know in my heart of hearts that I'll probably have to inform the university - despite knowing these students for 2 years...

I feel like an awful person... Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do?

If your university has spare places it may well admit some who haven't made their grades and common sense dictates the ones whom they will pick will be the ones who show most promise in the summer school.

If the university was concerned about people who miss their grades attending the summer school they would check on grades before the summer school starts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending