The Student Room Group

Labour MP Jo Cox killed in shooting incident in West Yorkshire

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
I'm sure you would have leapt valiantly to this MP's defence, grabbed the gun out of the nutter's hand, executed a sweet kick to his chest, knocked him to the floor, and saved the day.

Oh if only you had been there.

keyboard warrior probably would have probably **** himself
Original post by NickLCFC
Sorry but 'Aamir Tahir of The Dry Clean Centre', the messenger of a 'lady he works with', is not a very reliable source. I think I'll wait for more information before I come to the conclusion the shooter is affiliated with Britain First.

it's an eye-witness account, moron. what other sources would possibly exist?
Original post by DiddyDec
I was thinking the very same, I don't see the same public outcry when your average joe gets shot. You certainly don't get the Arch Bishop tweeting about you.

Because, simply, she was doing a job as a representative of the people.

Although I think if an "average Joe" was attacked and killed in the same manner there would also be somewhat of an "outcry".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Although I think if an "average Joe" was attacked and killed in the same manner there would also be somewhat of an "outcry".

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe there was when Lee Rigby was murdered no?
Reply 324
Original post by Thutmose-III
I'm a leave voter but frankly it is pissing me off to see how desperately Breitbart-type people are playing down the political/ideological angle while playing up the mental illness one.

That is pretty much in direct contradiction of everything they said in the immediate aftermath of the Orlando attack

Agreed. Both sides of the argument are frequently guilty of lying through omission, when it suits them. I'm sure that most public representatives who like to deal in absolutes are aware that it's never as binary as they make it out to be, but they gamble on it because they know that even if they are questioned, they most likely will come out of it with a net gain in support for their agenda.
Original post by tanyapotter

You completely missed my point.
I'm a leave voter but frankly it is pissing me off to see how desperately Breitbart-type people are playing down the political/ideological angle while playing up the mental illness one.

That is pretty much in direct contradiction of everything they said in the immediate aftermath of the Orlando attack

I don't get why everyone has to be so simplistic about everything.

(1) The guy probably was mentally ill.

(2) That doesn't mean that he wasn't motivated by politics.

(3) Even if he was, he cannot unilaterally make a particular group guilty by association just by shouting its name.

(4) It is still legitimate to enquire as to whether that group's rhetoric is particularly liable to motivate people to extreme action like this.

(5) None of this is sufficiently captured by choosing to apply, or not to apply, the term 'terrorism' to this attack.

(6) None of this is a reason in itself to alter your wider political views. It is, ultimately, an act of a lone gunman.
Source?

are you worried that it's possible you share the same political ideologies of a murderer? is this why you're so vehemently denying that this had something to do with right-wing extremism?

(3) Even if he was, he cannot unilaterally make a particular group guilty by association just by shouting its name.

(4) It is still legitimate to enquire as to whether that group's rhetoric is particularly liable to motivate people to extreme action like this.

(5) None of this is sufficiently captured by choosing to apply, or not to apply, the term 'terrorism' to this attack.

(6) None of this is a reason in itself to alter your wider political views. It is, ultimately, an act of a lone gunman.

I agree with all of that. Good post.
Reply 329

It's not an eyewitness account, it's hearsay.
You completely missed my point.

The point being that eyewitness accounts are only valid if they agree with your preconceived notions? Because I think we can be damn sure if the same eyewitness had said they'd shouted Allah Akbar you'd not be saying they're not reliable.
are you worried that it's possible you share the same political ideologies of a murderer? is this why you're so vehemently denying that this had something to do with right-wing extremism?

At this point I'd really like to hear any information you have that links him to right-wing extremism. I haven't seen it reported anywhere, other than the "Britain first" thing which is itself highly contested.

If you have more information...
Reply 332

This might be a good template to apply to the majority of shootings we've seen in the past few years....

The only account of this happening came from a man called Aamir Tahir. He said something along the lines of "Apparently he shouted "Britain First". He specifically qualified it with "apparently".

I have not heard any further reports or statements from witnesses on that subject

How would I know if I share the same political ideologies of the murderer when we pretty much have no idea what his political ideologies actually are?

But, no... I'm not worried. Right wing extremism isn't exactly a prevalent issue.
Original post by J_C_
This might be a good template to apply to the majority of shootings we've seen in the past few years....

You can't really apply point 5 to the Bataclan and Hebdo shootings. They clearly were acts of terror.
Extremism.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
The point being that eyewitness accounts are only valid if they agree with your preconceived notions? Because I think we can be damn sure if the same eyewitness had said they'd shouted Allah Akbar you'd not be saying they're not reliable.

It wasn't an eyewitness account though, was it? Tahir iirc essentially said that other people said the attacker shouted it. There have been no actual eyewitness accounts that support the claim so far.
The only account of this happening came from a man called Aamir Tahir. He said something along the lines of "Apparently he shouted "Britain First". He specifically qualified it with "apparently".

I have not heard any further reports or statements from witnesses on that subject

Why is this source not good enough for you? It would be so ironic if it were because his name is Aamir Tahir..
Feel so bad for her lil girls and her husband.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending