The Student Room Group

I used a translator for my French Speaking Prep and I got caught. Help!

Scroll to see replies

How is using a translator cheating? Translators don't guarantee good grades, many people will do even worse if they just rely on a translator.
Original post by iEthan
Sorry… but you did cheat. Use of a translator like Google Translate is so painfully obvious and frankly if you translated the work, it probably wasn't even worth trying to revise it. :s-smilie:

If your teacher reports it to the exam board, you could either be failed for the speaking module or failed for the entire course or disqualified from AQA courses. As it's speaking prep, it probably won't go this far but they may enforce any of these sanctions. Hopefully they don't report it. I really can't have much sympathy with things like this. You could have used a number of tools that aren't translators, if only you were bothered about putting the time into it.

From what I've read, it seems the majority think that it isn't classed as cheating. I didn't use Google Translate, I used a different more accurate translator (which still has problems) for my prep. I did put time into it checking accuracy and also putting my own input in there. If you bothered to read I used it for specific sentences and words that the dictionary didn't help on, which is the same as I did for writing. My teacher said that I cheated because she "knows how I write, this isn't you're work".

I haven't had a phone call from school, and if they were to report it to the exam board they would have evidence which is a copy of the draft with them but they don't have my draft, I do. So how can they report it? I also read the AQA policy and it states you cannot submit "work that isn't yours" - this work is mine.

Thanks for responding though.

Original post by Mrs.Grey
***** slap that "friend"

Original post by sunshine774
What kind of "friend" is that?

Hahaha, yeah. I talked to him after leaving, he has a detention for writing the note (good he deserves it) - he is a backstabber, I've seen him cheat and I haven't snitched on him. I won't slap him but I am just going to blank him entirely, just not a good friend...
Original post by Anonymous
From what I've read, it seems the majority think that it isn't classed as cheating. I didn't use Google Translate, I used a different more accurate translator (which still has problems) for my prep. I did put time into it checking accuracy and also putting my own input in there. If you bothered to read I used it for specific sentences and words that the dictionary didn't help on, which is the same as I did for writing. My teacher said that I cheated because she "knows how I write, this isn't you're work".

I haven't had a phone call from school, and if they were to report it to the exam board they would have evidence which is a copy of the draft with them but they don't have my draft, I do. So how can they report it? I also read the AQA policy and it states you cannot submit "work that isn't yours" - this work is mine.

Thanks for responding though.

Please see:

Original post by iEthan
I know how GCSE prep works and I would agree with you. However, depending on the specific guidelines for MfL @ AQA, there could still be sanctions imposed. I do hope there isn't because it could seriously hinder OP's future. I reckon this is just their teacher trying to scare them though. Let's hope for OP's sake it is.

Ty and best of luck.
I used google translate for my German speaking when i di my GCSES even though, my teacher warned us not to.

I only did it because i never understood German grammar and all the lessons were like mumbo jumbo.

I did not get caught, however.

Google translate is not a good tool to use because there are a lot of grammatical errors within it.
Reply 24
i don't understand how this is cheating....???
Right, before you start calling me an idiot or whatever I would like to explain briefly what happened.

So I have a French Speaking exam soon, we have been asked to do prep at home for the questions we need to answer. I first wrote my answer in English (like I did for my writing) and then I translated it into French by myself, as I find translators are often inaccurate. However, sometimes when the dictionary isn't very helpful I use translators, sometimes for one sentence or just for one word, not for the whole thing. If there is a large translation I always usually go through it and check if it makes sense and change words, so it's essentially my work.

How I got caught?

My friend (sort of contemplating if he should still be my friend) baited me out by writing a note which hinted at me using a translator because my teacher asked me if I had anybody do the work for me and I said no, which is true.

Well, when she found the note she found out I "cheated" and I'm in this desperate situation now. There are two scenarios, one is ideal and one is worse case scenario. The ideal scenario is that I just have to go to the detention next week and that's it. Worst case scenario, is that they are going to talk to an assistant head, report me to the exam board (AQA) and seek consequences. I predict that they will probably ban me from exams on their exam boards, which will hinder my future as most of my exams next year are AQA.

Yes I'm a stupid idiot for using it in the first place, but please, someone assure me it won't go that far. I cannot afford to sit only Maths and ICT next year. Other subject controlled assessments going on right now doesn't really make my life easier as they take a lot of time.

Thanks...

Next time just post on TSR asking someone to help you mark your French speaking, that is what i did with my German writing and someone was helpful enough to help me out.
Original post by iEthan
Please see:

Ty and best of luck.

Ah okay. Thanks! Didn't see that :smile: I'm starting to think they were just trying to scare me, obviously if it was the real speaking exam it would be reported but this is prep and this is out of controlled assessment hours, so I don't really get how the rules apply there.

I will tell you all what happens tomorrow because I have French (double period) - dreading it. Fingers crossed it's just getting shouted at and some silly detention.
Original post by Blackstarr
I used google translate for my German speaking when i di my GCSES even though, my teacher warned us not to.

I only did it because i never understood German grammar and all the lessons were like mumbo jumbo.

I did not get caught, however.

Google translate is not a good tool to use because there are a lot of grammatical errors within it.

I don't use google translate, I use collins but I still don't like it because I see errors myself. She said it was okay to use it if the dictionary doesn't help you but she doesn't recommend it, yet she screams at me for using a translator....

Original post by zelatrix
i don't understand how this is cheating....???

That's what I find hard to understand. I'm still worrying about it as well....

Original post by Blackstarr
Next time just post on TSR asking someone to help you mark your French speaking, that is what i did with my German writing and someone was helpful enough to help me out.

I will, because she indirectly said she won't be helping me or marking my drafts, which is what teachers are suppose to do because what? She has a "life" to live outside of school - ridiculous - hate this teacher.
Original post by iEthan
Sorry… but you did cheat. Use of a translator like Google Translate is so painfully obvious and frankly if you translated the work, it probably wasn't even worth trying to revise it. :s-smilie:

If your teacher reports it to the exam board, you could either be failed for the speaking module or failed for the entire course or disqualified from AQA courses. As it's speaking prep, it probably won't go this far but they may enforce any of these sanctions. Hopefully they don't report it. I really can't have much sympathy with things like this. You could have used a number of tools that aren't translators, if only you were bothered about putting the time into it.

I fail to see how this is wrong? Since even though it may be against AQA rules, this was a prep, not an administered exam, hence this remains an internal school issue. I will not even address how much I disagree with your definition of cheating (I'm taking OP's word for what they say happened), doesn't this issue seem blown out of proportion?
Original post by ssshah2
I fail to see how this is wrong? Since even though it may be against AQA rules, this was a prep, not an administered exam, hence this remains an internal school issue. I will not even address how much I disagree with your definition of cheating (I'm taking OP's word for what they say happened), doesn't this issue seem blown out of proportion?

Please see my other post. :h: :h: :h:
Our teachers warned us against using translators, but that was because they very rarely provide accurate translations for anything longer than a short phrase!

I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by iEthan
Please see my other post. :h: :h: :h:

I gladly correct myself on the guidelines issue, as you have kindly pointed out :smile:

I agree that this seems to be a scare tactic used by the teacher to make OP pull their socks up.

P.S.
I still think the friend is a douche though :tongue:
Original post by ssshah2
I gladly correct myself on the guidelines issue, as you have kindly pointed out :smile:

I agree that this seems to be a scare tactic used by the teacher to make OP pull their socks up.

P.S.
I still think the friend is a douche though :tongue:

:yy:

Thank you
I checked AQA's CA guidelines; the only mention of a translator is that you're not allowed to use one in your 6 hours planning time once you've received the final task (in the time when you can't ask your teacher any more questions). As long as you weren't in that stage, the school would have no case with the exam board.
Wtf this isn't cheating😂😂 I did this and showed the teacher and she knew straight away. She just said if I use this for my speaking then I am getting a B because some of it didn't make sense and then she said don't use google translate lool. This is not cheating. It's just using resources to help you. Plus you only used it to help with a few sentences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plus, I don't like your 'friend'. But if you still want to be his friend then your decision lol but personally I wouldn't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmald583
I checked AQA's CA guidelines; the only mention of a translator is that you're not allowed to use one in your 6 hours planning time once you've received the final task (in the time when you can't ask your teacher any more questions). As long as you weren't in that stage, the school would have no case with the exam board.

It was during "prep" time - she was helping people during that time and answering questions and she also looked at mine and told me to change a few things. I guess then they have no case (I hope you are 100% right) - thanks! :smile: Just made me feel so much better! Gonna have a cuppa now :biggrin:
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Plus, I don't like your 'friend'. But if you still want to be his friend then your decision lol but personally I wouldn't

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think I will still be friends with him.... are you kidding me? After the events that happened today I'm only gonna ask him if he got a phone call and that's it, no more "friends" - he's an idiot.
It was during "prep" time - she was helping people during that time and answering questions and she also looked at mine and told me to change a few things. I guess then they have no case (I hope you are 100% right) - thanks! :smile: Just made me feel so much better! Gonna have a cuppa now :biggrin:

I found that in 'Advice for Teachers' document so I'm pretty sure it's current :smile:

Good luck with your CA!
Reply 39
LOL i got so much help for my french speaking and it wasn't even from family members/friends. it was from my teacher herself. i did the work and she annotated a few cool connectives and grammar corrections and the only thing i had to do was memorise the whole final draft by heart. Got full marks

Quick Reply

Latest