The Student Room Group

WJEC English Language and Literature (A2) Friday 17th June

I can't find any threads on this course, are any of you out there?! I'm so stressed out!

Scroll to see replies

Finally a thread on this exam! i was wondering where everyone went. What texts are you doing?
Reply 2
My main text is Hard Times by Charles Dickens - I hate it haha!

What's your main text?
Reply 3
You would not believe how happy I am to see a thread for this subject/board combination at last! My main text is Wuthering Heights.

How are you all feeling about the exam tomorrow?
Reply 4
I have to admit I am dreading it! We've had about 5 different teachers this year so the whole course has been very confusing and they all had different opinions on how it should be taught so I don't feel prepared at all! I just hope that something like childhood or education comes up as a theme because that links in with my text so well!
Im doing wuthering heights too, not feeling great about it. I feel like i put all my focus on Section B and neglected the unseen texts. Although i still dont know how to revise for that part. The structuring of the essay is still a mystery to me.
Reply 6
I'm just going to have to write whatever and hope for the best! I've never really practised the un-seen texts side either :/
Reply 7
It all depends on the texts, doesn't it? I feel like it's such a bummer sometimes. I'm doing Wuthering Heights too.
I'm placing my bets on women, that would be a great one to do. Men has appeared so there's a good chance.
Original post by mmelty
It all depends on the texts, doesn't it? I feel like it's such a bummer sometimes. I'm doing Wuthering Heights too.
I'm placing my bets on women, that would be a great one to do. Men has appeared so there's a good chance.

Yes! glad you agree the theme of women is a really strong possibility, apart from that what other themes are you looking at? From looking at the past papers the themes can be really abstract sometimes. Last year had some really good themes like love and revenge Hopefully we don't get stuck with the horrible ones.
Reply 9
If women comes up i'll be stuffed! I need something family or child related!
Im doing Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes and the context and memorising quotes from second and third texts is stressing me! Any predictions on themes??
Original post by ellenawhite
If women comes up i'll be stuffed! I need something family or child related!

Why not just do a quick essay plan now? Nothing to lose
Do you guys have an essay structure plan for section A?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by absentislands
Yes! glad you agree the theme of women is a really strong possibility, apart from that what other themes are you looking at? From looking at the past papers the themes can be really abstract sometimes. Last year had some really good themes like love and revenge Hopefully we don't get stuck with the horrible ones.

Yeah, I'm hoping too. I like topics that are to do with people's emotions and soceity like love, revenge, power, death and marriage so I've focused on those. A lot of quotes blend into each other as well.
Do you guys an essay structure plan for section A?

Don't have a structure plan unfortunately but have these tips from my teacher who used to be an examiner so very helpful:
Begin with AO3 context but don't repeat the rubrik. (put audience, form, purpose in your opening paragraph)
Compare and contrast all 3 texts.
Use a lot of terminology and explain how it's effective.

Think its best to structure it as: Audience, Form, Purpose, Grammar, Imagery

I'm so stuck with section A so I always do B first as I know what I'm talking about and then tackle A once I'm in the swing of it
Original post by mmelty
Yeah, I'm hoping too. I like topics that are to do with people's emotions and soceity like love, revenge, power, death and marriage so I've focused on those. A lot of quotes blend into each other as well.

Have you made an essay plan for women? I feel like my points overlap and aren't specific enough.
Reply 16
Have you made an essay plan for women? I feel like my points overlap and aren't specific enough.

Had to re-upload, but I typed this from my written notes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mmelty
Had to re-upload, but I typed this from my written notes.

Thank you so much! Your points are *really* well developed and quite interesting. Very different from the basic stuff i've been taught.
Does anyone have any tips on learning parts of your second text/third text? Literally can't drill these quotes into my head and feel like theyll be my main downfall
what did everybody think? I thought the three unseen texts an aeroplanes were ok, I did the question on the relationships between men and women and I felt that I could have included a few more quotes :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending