The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics Pure Core 4 MPC4 - 17th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mgill17
Anyone know where I can get some really hard questions for this unit? I've done as many AQA papers as I can but I fear that that's comfort revising now after Wednesday's ordeal. I want to prepare for the literal worst.

What are solomon papers like and do they even exist for MPC4, I hear people go on about them all the time?

I don't understand how the AS core papers were similar to last year's standards then that abomination happened.

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/C4-solomon/
these are the edexcel Solomon papers but I find that the majority of the questions are relevant to AQA, also I have found that they have questions applied in different ways so they are pretty good to try and prepare for different styled questions
Original post by Cascadess
My prediction for this year is the last question to be a hard vectors question. Anyone else got any other predictions? :P

When is there not a hard vectors question on core 4?
Reply 62
How do you find max rate of growth when you have dy/dx?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys I'm doing the 2015 paper Question 1 B, I have -1/6ln25 + 3ln5. It should be in the form kln5, how do I this?
Original post by Yo12345
How do you find max rate of growth when you have dy/dx?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you imagine you plot dy/dx on a graph, and call that y=f(x) then the maximum point will be where f'(x) = 0, or in other words, where d^2y/dx^2 = 0! (and I guess d^3y/dx^3 < 0...)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dinasaurus
Guys I'm doing the 2015 paper Question 1 B, I have -1/6ln25 + 3ln5. It should be in the form kln5, how do I this?

ln25 is ln5^2 = 2ln5

(-1/6)*2ln5 + 3ln5 = (-1/3)ln5 + 3ln5 = (8/3)ln5
PLZ Someone help I think I am getting mental breakdown

I can't see to get the answer for this convert parametric into cartesian

x = t / 2t-1
y = t / t-1
Original post by Examguy123
When is there not a hard vectors question on core 4?

I recon it'll be the last one though, like the pinnacle of difficulty on the paper.
Original post by bartbarrow
ln25 is ln5^2 = 2ln5

(-1/6)*2ln5 + 3ln5 = (-1/3)ln5 + 3ln5 = (8/3)ln5

How do -1/3 and 3 make 8/3?
How do -1/3 and 3 make 8/3?

(-1/3) + 3 = 8/3? unless I'm going crazy
Original post by koolgurl14

x = t / 2t-1
y = t / t-1

Tricky - managed to get it down to (y/x) = 2 + (y/t) although not sure that helps...

When AQA hand out difficult parametric -> cartesians, they usually provide some base format of some kind (e.g. xy + y^2 + x^2 = k, find k) or similar. None of that given?
(edited 7 years ago)
(-1/3) + 3 = 8/3? unless I'm going crazy

Oh wow, I must be going crazy then, so dumb moment.
Reply 72

with -1/6 ln(25) turn the 25 in to 52 and bring the 2 down
Reply 73
Original post by Mentalmirz
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/C4-solomon/
these are the edexcel Solomon papers but I find that the majority of the questions are relevant to AQA, also I have found that they have questions applied in different ways so they are pretty good to try and prepare for different styled questions

This might be a good shout then. I think the style of writing was part of the reason I got so phased with some of them I guess. Hoping this one isn't too bad considering I haven't got an A in core 3 now and at best I scrape As in core 4

x = t / 2t-1
y = t / t-1

what's the answer? I think I have one.

x = t / 2t-1
y = t / t-1

Got it I think.. is the answer 1/(x-1)? If so I can post a solution.
image.jpg

Here u go
Original post by mgill17
This might be a good shout then. I think the style of writing was part of the reason I got so phased with some of them I guess. Hoping this one isn't too bad considering I haven't got an A in core 3 now and at best I scrape As in core 4

same, I'm seriously hoping that this paper is reasonable :/
Got it I think.. is the answer 1/(x-1)? If so I can post a solution.

Original post by Shumaya
what's the answer? I think I have one.

Tricky - managed to get it down to (y/x) = 2 + (y/t) although not sure that helps...

When AQA hand out difficult parametric -> cartesians, they usually provide some base format of some kind (e.g. xy + y^2 + x^2 = k, find k) or similar. None of that given?

The answer is y = x/1-x I wasted this whole day to figure it out ...

Quick Reply

Latest