The Student Room Group

ELLB3- ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LIT *17th June 2016*

Hey Guys!
Im studying king lear and talk in life and lit
Anyone doing this exam, I cant seem to find a thread so I thought I would make one ?
Anyone wants to discuss the exam or swap exam answers feel free to do so!:smile:
Hi! I am doing that exam, King Lear too - I am feeling really unprepared :frown: how are you revising?
Reply 2
hey im doing king lear and talk in life in lit as well! I feel unprepared for King Lear as theres some things I don't fully understand - I'm trying to find the whole film of King Lear to compare my notes with and to understand what they mean, but its impossible to find :mad: Im also revising by going over conversational theorists and talk terminiolgy
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by georgina_989
Hi! I am doing that exam, King Lear too - I am feeling really unprepared :frown: how are you revising?

Hey! I am doing King Lear too! It is really hard to revise for but basically my friend and I have made scene by scene summaries with key quotes and the key things that happen in that scene and that is actually really useful! It helps you to remember the key things that happen! Also, making essay plans is really helpful, even if you don't write the essay
Original post by charlotteaimee17
Hey! I am doing King Lear too! It is really hard to revise for but basically my friend and I have made scene by scene summaries with key quotes and the key things that happen in that scene and that is actually really useful! It helps you to remember the key things that happen! Also, making essay plans is really helpful, even if you don't write the essay

Ah! Thank you so much - yeah, I made scene by scene summaries but I just feel so lost! I'm worried that something will come up and I have no idea of what to write. Also, after looking at some examiners reports they always discuss what the students have analysed and I'm worried I will miss out some obvious imagery or symbolism etc.
I guess only time will tell :smile:

Thank you and good luck!!
Reply 5
Hi I'm doing The Crucible instead of King Lear which I'm feeling okayish about. I'm more worried about the talk in life & literature side of it :/ I don't feel prepared for that side. I'm still unsure of how to structure the essay & how to go about picking things out of the 2 texts.

Good luck for tomorrow everyone :smile:
Does anyone have any predictions for The Crucible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi, I'm doing KL and the teaching I've had has been really poor with only about 3 essay practices in class all year, has anyone got any essays that they have gotten a Good mark for in class they wouldn't mind sharing??
Reply 8
Original post by LewisW1805
Does anyone have any predictions for The Crucible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a feeling that a scene from Act 3 might come up because it hasn't been on any past papers
Original post by JadeERL
I have a feeling that a scene from Act 3 might come up because it hasn't been on any past papers

I think it might be Act 3 as well. I'm nervous about the comparison question because I don't want the texts to be hard or anything.

I was checking out last year's grade boundaries and you need above 77 out of 96 if you want to secure a high A or a low A*. I'd say because this the final paper for its specification AQA are going to try making it harder.

But yeah if anyone on this thread is aiming for a solid A try getting over 70. :smile:
People with The Crucible,
Do you think it'll be a person or an emotion or what?
Original post by Gracicusmaximus
People with The Crucible,
Do you think it'll be a person or an emotion or what?

I think it will be a theme as last year was a character

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everyone find the exam?
Reply 13
I liked The Crucible although I found the question was a bit too broad. I thought the talk in life and literature was okay but I ran out of time and the invigilator wouldn't let me finish my sentence off so the last bit didn't really make sense lol. How did you find it?
I liked The Crucible question but ran out of time on the unseen question, I spent too long reading and only made 2 good points then rushed the rest.
Reply 15
Original post by LewisW1805
I liked The Crucible question but ran out of time on the unseen question, I spent too long reading and only made 2 good points then rushed the rest.

That's exactly what happened to me as well :frown:
Reply 16
I thought the crucible extract was really good but the question was a bit lame - I kept drifting off topic because the question was too vague and could have been way better given the extract..
Section B was a big meh too - they were both so long I spent 15 minutes just reading them and working out what to write..and I've just realised I didn't talk about specific features of speech enough *dies*.
Basically I was hoping it would have gone WAY better I'm so disappointed in myself..:frown:
A lot of people have said that they spent too long reading the unseen texts, including myself. Hopefully they will take it into consideration if most candidates also have shorter answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending